Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/4 scale on-road
The last couple years I've been exposed to a totally different side of R/C's. This big stuff is so amazing to me, I'm going to sell off a ton of stuff to support the new habit. This weekend I attended a 1/4 scale on-road race in Indianapolis. It was an awesome event ! Are there any tracks around anyone here ? I will trade probably 30+ cars to get like 5 big ones tricked out. These cars are a true race cars & the closest thing to 1:1 racing I've ever seen. I hope to have one at least by next year. Hopefully I can make some laps in a borrowed car this year yet, Just to know how the handling really feels. Looking for people interested & any comments ?

[Image: 01IndyAMain3.jpg]

[Image: 01IndyQalRdTwo8.jpg]

[Image: 01IndyBestShot1.jpg]

[Image: 01IndyBestShot.jpg]

[Image: 01IndyQalStSprints.jpg]

[Image: 01IndyTrackBanners1.jpg]
For all your Large Scale R/C needs
MCD / FG / HPI
Dude you're cool and all but you're just plugging Large Scale RC all the time, saying go buy this its cool...Are you a robot or what...
LSP lots of Khz, Werks .28 8 port.

Revo 2.5, TRX 3.3 Engine, Center Diff. Fast and Turns on a dime.
i just drooled all over my keyboard. omg i want one
J-Dub Wrote:Dude you're cool and all but you're just plugging Large Scale RC all the time, saying go buy this its cool...Are you a robot or what...

hes just talking about what he likes
the nascar type cars look like alot of fun
Losi 8ight with v-spec[SIZE="4"]
[/SIZE]
J-Dub Wrote:Dude you're cool and all but you're just plugging Large Scale RC all the time, saying go buy this its cool...Are you a robot or what...

J-Dub, just back off his thread, he likes big scale cars, what's wrong with that? Nothing at all, he likes these more than anything now, so leave him be, if you ran one maybe you'd like em too!! I'd like to get one too, if I had the $$.
GIT-R-DONE racin team
bubbaracing(hillbilly deluxe)stratcat(long haired hillbilly)Addicted to Nitro(Redneck#2)
Hoobajoob(Greek hillbilly!)Racin' Ranger1(Lil' hillbilly)
Wasnt trying to be a hoser.

Dude, the real deal is this. I've been into rc since like 1984. The last 10 or so of those years. Spending Way to much of my time & money on them. But I had no clue there were groups of people around here " within reason " running these scale cars. My exposure to the big stuff is only like 2/3 years old. If you've never seen all of the different kinds of cars in action, you should. I'm no robot, but I'm totally into what I'm doing right now. The stock cars are so like 1:1 racing, It's who can set the car up best, who can drive best, & who's equipment stay working well. There are yellow flags & pit stops. It's real racing, with a respect level that is very important. Cause a wreck, or spin. To the back you go ! I really like the format, along with the size.

Sorry to be so excited, but I just got home, It's the 4th of July " My 15 wedding anniversary " & we ran the _ell out of some vehicles. 3 MCD's & 2 5b buggys. There is video being uploaded from a friend. I'll give a link ASAP. We had a radar gun out too. I clicked off a 46 m.p.h. with mine !! Sweet Confusedalute:

Happy 4th of July
MCD / FG / HPI
The stock cars look awesome!

Other one.... ehhh, might be fun, I would think they would be more fun on a dirt oval though.

I think it would be awesome to take a stock car for a spin.
8ight | Mini-T | CEN Boat | Stampede | JR R-1

ALL RC STUFF FOR SALE. PM FOR DETAILS.
Our track is big enough to run 1/5 or 1/4 scale If we would get people who wanted to run them we would do so.
yeah thos outlaws i would think would be cool to see on a dirt oval track.
what are some of the companies that make the larger 1/4 scale cars I really like the outlaws that would be in my mind a cool class to run. I think it would be really cool to go to a track and check them out I dont know if I see myself going all the way down to IND to see them but I would take the drive out to LH if there was enough guys to get a class out there.
"I'm always amazed to hear of air crash victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?"
What's the average daily cost to race one of the large cars? I'm asking about parts, tires, fuel, etc...
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
I'm very curious on your track ? What kind of track are we talking ? Dirt off road or oval. Or paved oval or road course ? Sounds very interesting to me. We're up for a travel to race somewhere new. Our 1/5 scales are off-road / Dirt cars. These pictures are from a QSAC sponsored race. This is pavement based stuff, some run dirt too, I guess. This was my first race of this kind ever.

There are several companies building these cars. Cat5 MFG & WCM are 2 of them there are more if you look around. The sprints are very cool, look hard to drive. They are faster, because of the rules on the engines. The sportsman series run a restriction plate under the carb.. The grand national & sprints don't use these. It is very interesting to watch a race run with all the rules & stuff that try & keep if fair for everyone.

As for daily cost. I would say that depends on a lot of variables. If your car is set-up good than tire wear is way less. If you don't have to " literally " drive the tires off of it to do good, the same. Crashes are all totally different, But in the stock cars don't appear to be a problem much at all. In the sprints, Damage does happen. Tires are 50$ each with wheel. Some fuel. An occasional new body at 100$. I would say budget in 40$ a weekend of racing should keep you going. Tires last pretty well & once you have the car. It's not real bad at all. I've had many weekends with my T-maxxes cost much more in bent & broken pieces. The big stuff cost more per piece, But usually only break one at a time ! Ha Ha I've wiped out body mts., bumpers, shocks, bulks, motor mt., & a Diff. All in the same crash ... These kinds of cars are not for everyone at all. These are purpose built racing machines, with a very limited use. I just like the realism of them. You can get on the inside of someone & use them through a corner on your outside. It's cool how the weight and all take place in the handling.

Here is a link to check them out. This guy also works with us. He is a brother to the owner. He builds these cars & they are in my opinion top of the line. He has raced most of the different kind of cars made. He was also the 04 Sportsman National Champion. They were both racing in these pictures. His design has some things built in that no one else has. This link will show how sophisticated these machines are. Set-up is more than important, It's mandatory if you want to be able to drive it correctly.

http://www.quarterscalecars.com/index.html

[Image: 1QuarterStockCarBodOff.jpg]
MCD / FG / HPI
hey im with looker and meatwad. my first nitro car was a nitro 4-tec which turned me off from on road for a long time.

i just picked up a brand new 1/7 scale ofna dm1 and hooked up with some of the on road guys on friday nights, and im lovin it. i totally went overboard with the axial 32 that i dropped in it so im have some serious hookin up issues, so for the time being, ive been drifting it.

im also gettin ready to pick up a 1/5 scale on road car by fg, but im not sure what im gonna use it for due to its only being rear wheel drive. one of the guys from the friday night spot brings one out and i drool over it.

but yeah.....large scale rocks!!:headbang:
Even just rear wheel drive is very cool, but that where MCD & their 4x4 drive train is an awesome set-up. We're going to get a time set-up to give the track a try a LH, with these big boys. When the time is final, I'll let everyone know here. Anyone with 1/5 scale cars that could be there welcomed. It would also be cool to see the differences between vehicle types. On-road is tricky anyway, so I don't expect to do all that well, we'll see ?!
MCD / FG / HPI
...I want the fg f1

I think they'd fit...you're just not going to run 10+ of them at the same time or it'd be crowded.
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
J-Dub Wrote:Leisure hours is a bit small for 1/5th Scale I think. . . But that might just be me

nah it would be fine, easily big enough if its oval, not sure how well thos things turn but im sure its pretty good. LHR has wide lanes
Losi 8ight with v-spec[SIZE="4"]
[/SIZE]
I changed my response lol

Yea the road course is questionable, but oval for sure. We're hoping for more than an oval only though. Like 5 at a time would be plenty I think on the track. The FG F1 is an awesome car, especially the competition model. Hard to drive though !!
MCD / FG / HPI
looker2756 Wrote:Yea the road course is questionable, but oval for sure. We're hoping for more than an oval only though. Like 5 at a time would be plenty I think on the track. The FG F1 is an awesome car, especially the competition model. Hard to drive though !!

any1 gotta pic of 1....ive seen the fg on-road but im not sure if its the f1
Wow..... just wow. Absolutely awesome. I can really see myself going large scale if I get back into the hobby. The initial cost seems higher but in the long run I don't see them being much more expensive (if more expensive at all) than a quality buggy or truggy......
This is the Std. F1 car.
http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/seiten...ayout.html
Std. Sport line chassis model under body.
This is a competition model under body.
You can check out some basic pictures of other models from these links. The regular on-road cars are more popular, but the F1 cars are extremely cool. Just quite a bit harder to drive compared to others. I agree on initial cost. Other than the 5b is now sub 1000$ range & is RTR. It is also a very fun vehicle to drive. I don't know, I sit here & look at some show T-Maxxes I built. Two of them never ran at all ! I sure wish I had the cash back now from what they cost to build. I could have 2 5b's for each one !! I'm going to start getting ready for a big nitro R/C sale.
MCD / FG / HPI
What is the difference between the standard, sport line, and competition? Besides that they look more and more badass??

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large Scale RC's Power Jam Large Scale Racing June 14-17th 2012 Monon, Indiana LOST IN MN 2 5,476 06-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Last Post: LOST IN MN
  My latest scale build up Mnster 209 71,923 04-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Mr. Tune
  PowerJam 1/5 Scale Racing Event - Monon Indiana - Are you registered yet ?? looker2756 1 4,535 05-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Last Post: looker2756
  Introducing " The Scrap Yard " 1/5 scale track IN looker2756 7 9,327 10-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Last Post: looker2756
  Leisure Hours On Road Point Series chicagokenji 0 1,981 04-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  On road suggestions willitbme15 11 3,776 08-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Last Post: willitbme15
  Trans-Am On Road Racing chicagokenji 3 5,567 03-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  1/16 Scale Kyosho Nitros GeraldRisch 14 4,106 03-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Last Post: GeraldRisch
  1/8th Scale Running Electric? chicagokenji 43 17,115 11-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Last Post: team3six
  1/5 scale Off-Road looker2756 44 8,679 11-15-2007, 10:43 PM