Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Darth Revo has begun...
The transformation of my stock revo into a potent racer has officially begun tonight. In honor of this occasion I have given this project a name. Project Darth Revo. Cool

First on the hit list...ditching the stock radio.

I pulled the JR synthesized receiver off the savage and installed it earlier tonight on the revo. All the settings are adjusted and the optidrive module has been reprogrammed. Took it out for a spin in front of my house and all is working as planned Smile. Bye bye crappy AM traxxas radio, hello JR XS3 Pro!

Current weight: 9lbs 9.8 oz (emply fuel tank)

Next on the hit list ... Hurricane rims and traxxas response tires.
i would recommend the python tires from panther instead of response tires. The response are good tires but they wear out fast, and also dont perform as good as the pythons for different tracks. I havent found a track the pythons havent hooked up at yet. also close ratio gears for the trans will help give ya a little more bottom end and still keep good top end. the teflon shock upgrade parts are just sweet. There so much smoother and to me feel a lot better over the stock shocks. cant go wrong with lunsford parts either. And also when you are ready to go to 1 steering servo the proline steering arm will make a huge improvement for just a single servo. Of course the FOC will help give you a little more grunt on the low end but not to much on the revo.

Be careful of the outside wheel bearings because they are so small they will wear out like 3 times as fast as any other bearing. Avid bearings are a sweet upgrade plus you can get a set of 20 bearings for 20 bucks. Definatly ditch the cheasy start to lose some weight. I would highly recommend the rd starter box. Seal up that engine and get rid of those OWB problems before they begin. Theres so much you can do. Il go through mine and give ya some of the setups ive done that made a good difference for racing.
How's the weight difference between the response tires and the panthers? Ever weighed them? Traxxas claims 305 gram difference from the stockers to the responses. That's over 10 ounces!
well a total weight for the pythons are 2 and a half pounds. the traxxas ones are a ton lighter then that but you will have a harder time getting traction at the same time. There 1.7 pounds for the response.
Project idea is cool.... But rename it!!!!

As for the response tires i have them and i like them but i too wouldnt recomened them John. They wear very fast and ive blown two of them up!!! they tear very easy!!! They are super light and i love that but the durabilty isnt there, I think im going to go back to prolines... Not as light but MUCH more durable and not as heavy as the panther.
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune
Rename it? NEVER! hahaha.
My god man!!! Dont do that to your revo!!! Its gonna get laughed at by all the other revos because its a star wars nerd!!!! LMAO!!!
response tires are some good tires, but they have a very soft sidewall and do wear really fast. Pythons are a nice alternative. Heavier but last longer and do a good job on the track.

I'd follow Mich's advise and do the things he listed along with some P2 rockers and pushrods. Pick up the full line of traxxas CB's and spurs so you can re-gear according to the track your running on. Other than the small option parts, the Revo is pretty much track worthy.

Good luck on your Star wars theme project. May the force be with you young Jedi......=)
whats wrong with star wars. I love star wars and nobody laughes at me when i lap them on the track Wink LOL
Good luck with your project Darth...... I mean John
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
rocco, The force is strong with this revo. Understand this you will.
RD Racing Products has the solution to the bearings blowing out. They have new 23mm axle carriers with bigger bearings and an 8mm stub axle instead of the 6mm stocker. I'm going to be putting them on my new Vantage CF chassis as soon as they re-release them.

I also have the Response tires but have only run them a couple weekends so far. I'll go to the Pythons when they wear out.
snakebite46 Wrote:I'd follow Mich's advise and do the things he listed along with some P2 rockers and pushrods.

I thought the P3 rockers were the way to go? Should I get some stiffer springs too, to go with the rockers and pushrods? How about shock oil?
P3's worked on the Leisure track when it wasnt blown out. P2's seem to be the best overall rocker/pushrod set-up. I run orange/gold springs on mine. Mich I believe runs tan/black on his. His set-up is alittle stiffer than mine. As far as shock oils goes, It's a good idea to keep mulitple oil weights in your pitbox. I carry from 27.5 to 70 in mine. I like the feel of 50 weight in mine with number 2 pistons all the way around. where as Mich runs 60 I think.

John, if you have the extra cash, it doesnt hurt to pick up multiple springs, rockers, pushrods and oils handy to tweak the suspension according to your driving skills. One guys set-up might make you drive horrible.
If you go to the Traxxas web site, look at Steve Slayden's Pit Pass article and start with his general set-up. Thats a good starting set-up and you can tweak it from there.
stock rockers are for really rough tracks, p2 are for more smoother tracks and rough spots. p3 are for smooth and high traction. If i were you i would get 30 weight shock oil to 70. Pick up all the rockers and springs and you will have a race ready machine. also 30/10 for the diff fluids work great.
If i were you when you upgrade tires id go with the wabash wheels, They're real stong, look cool and have the right offset for the revo. I also like them because you can really see what your tires are doing when you brake that way you can see if your locking up your tires ... They work like the maxspeed designs wheels stickers if you ask me!

Ok, call it what you want.... This whole star wars theme has gotten to be too much for this guy... Good luck john.
Wabash and the 23mm set-up is nice. If you do end up going down that road, pick up the Dace MFG adapter kit. The Pro-line kit tends to put too much stress on the hex pin. Another disadvantage with the Pro-line kit is that you have to buy the Pro-line hex wrench. With the Dace kit it uses a 22mm hex nut and you can find a 22mm socket easier than a 23mm.
George and john have the dace, They are realy sweet!!! Much nicer than the prolines!!!
project darth nerd......

i called my txt-1 the Urban Guerilla since is is "crawlin country" afterall. lol.
Mr. Tune Wrote:Deruinked psosting is fun guys! Please don't follow me exwsample, I'm a bda influende.
:joy:
HAHA BigD, you say what the rest of us are thinking! j/k
"It tastes like burning"
bigdangerous Wrote:project darth nerd......

i called my txt-1 the Urban Guerilla since is is "crawlin country" afterall. lol.
Best Post ever!!!!
Tune,

Good thing these good natured jabs are all in fun, right?

Once you have that Revo race-ready we'll have to compare notes so I can learn from your experiences, along with the other Team Traxxas members.

Still sorting out my lack of steering travel this week. Better wheels and tires are probably next.
How about an update. I drove the hell out of the revo this weekend to test it's durability. After a 1/2 gallon of fuel (all of it at the joliet car show, leisure hours mini race track booth setup), I had broken 2 pushrods, 1 spur, and 1 diff (rear I believe). With the exception of hitting a pole and bending a pushrod, all the breaking came from backflips attempts. Not all of them went as smoothly as planned. The engine is starting to hold a tune fairly well and is no longer overheating on me.

Based on firesprinks recommendation, the front and rear bumpers (on the body) have been cut for better air movement (the front bumber) and less fuel kick back from fuel spraying on the inside of the body (the rear bumper).

Based on snakebite's recommendation, I have now also cutt off the ends of the rear bumper to further help against fuel kick back. For the hell of it, I weighed the 2 side I cutt off and saved 10 grams of weight.

Project darth revo continues...
Ahh young Jedi, you are soon learning the ways of the master Jedi. Btw, John...........I AM YOUR FATHER...........LOL J/K

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  E-Revo Brushless Edition? Summit? J-Dub 2 3,304 10-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Fastlane GraphiX
  Batteries for stock e revo ricketki 4 5,748 08-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Last Post: BJoe
  Tower hobbies is giving away Platnium REVO's! Whoo Hoo! team3six 20 5,885 04-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Toughtrax
  Revo, a race truggy? snoracer 61 11,723 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Last Post: J-Dub
  Traxxas Revo.... J-Dub 42 6,776 11-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Michowski
  Quick Revo Diff question stratcat 12 2,889 08-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Last Post: DAVEC-NITRO-RS4
  Chevy C-10 Wheely King project Mnster 62 8,491 07-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Jeepguy
  Project: Practice Track BobWoodhouse 21 3,874 06-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Last Post: BobWoodhouse
  Revo? Whitey04 33 5,840 05-27-2007, 09:00 PM