Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what happened to stanton hobbies?
hello, new member here. i do most my hanging out on clodtalk or rccrawler.

for most stuff i buy online, but for fuel for my rc10gts i've always went to stanton hobbies up on milwalkee ave. i went there awhile back and all the windows were boarded up, and i figured maybe they were remodeling or something. a few times after that i drove by and it was the same, and this weekend i drive by and theres a bank one there. Rolleyes

anyway, i just searched and there is a hobbytown further north up milwalkee and i suppose i'll get my nitro from there. just curious where the heck stantons went to...

thanks in advance.
Stanton closed in Jan 04. Last I heard the owner wanted to retire.
wow, thanks for the fast reply!!!

anywhere else other than hobbytown you would recommend? (in the area) i'd rather stay away from that place if i could, even if it is only for fuel.
I wouldnt even waste my time going to that hobbytown. Take the ride out to AL's in Elmhurst.
Welcome to the boards btw.
well, with all the praise this al's place gets maybe its worth the drive.

thanks.
snakebite46 Wrote:Welcome to the boards btw.

ty!

anybody here into crawlers? thats pretty much all i'm into besides the gts which i havent ran in over a year...
where do you live you can go to venture hobbies in wheeling their really good
Gamer.
~Noto
i live right around western and lawrence, pretty much downtown.

a drive aint a big deal, but stantons was close enough to where i didnt actually have to plan out half a day to go to the lhs.
Man you live right where I work. I work at Western and Granville. 2 blocks north of Peterson.
Too bad you don't have the Clod anymore Rich... Smile
yeah that thing was fun....but living in the city, I didnt have many places to have fun except the garden and you know the wife wasnt to happy about that.
badhoopty Wrote:ty!

anybody here into crawlers? thats pretty much all i'm into besides the gts which i havent ran in over a year...

Hey whats up. I have a txt-1 that i built and never really used to crawl. Something about using an r/c car by yourself thats really boring. Plus the crap attitude at r/c crawler.com kinda sour'd things for me.
Mr. Tune Wrote:Deruinked psosting is fun guys! Please don't follow me exwsample, I'm a bda influende.
:joy:
Only hobby shops worth visiting in the area...

Venture Hobbies
AL's Hobby
Leisure Hours
Anthony_ISLA
Badhoopty, you live very close to me. I'm at Clark/Diversey. We're having a BBQ bash at the old Riverview Park by DeVry at Belmont/Western on 8/20.
badhoopty Wrote:anywhere else other than hobbytown you would recommend? i'd rather stay away from that place if i could
snakebite46 Wrote:I wouldnt even waste my time going to that hobbytown.

Am I the only one who likes hobbytown? lol :o
SOLD: BCE Pro X1-CRT Truggy, Dace Predator/Unlimited Engineering towered VBS Supermaxx
Current: Nitro Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4, Nitro Traxxas Slash
RobH Wrote:Am I the only one who likes hobbytown? lol :o

If you live in Chicago and are going to drive to a hobbyshop I just think you should get the most bang for your gas buck Big Grin

I've lived in Wrigleyville, Rogers Park, West Loop, ect....and will find driving to AJ's or Venture is usually best.

The staff at those hobby shops are much more knowledgable then the Hobbytowns in the area. If you really like Hobbytown there is a small one in Oak Park as well.
Anthony_ISLA
If I remember correctly, the oak park hobbytown doesn't really carry alot of rc stuff. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's been awhile since I've been there.
snakebite46 Wrote:Man you live right where I work. I work at Western and Granville. 2 blocks north of Peterson.

is that close to where zfrank chevy is? i take my car there. i think thats around western and granville. Wink

bigdangerous Wrote:Hey whats up. I have a txt-1 that i built and never really used to crawl. Something about using an r/c car by yourself thats really boring. Plus the crap attitude at r/c crawler.com kinda sour'd things for me.

yea, rccrawler has alot of attitude. if you want a more friendly board that deals with clods and txts and the like check out clodtalk.com.

satoch Wrote:Badhoopty, you live very close to me. I'm at Clark/Diversey. We're having a BBQ bash at the old Riverview Park by DeVry at Belmont/Western on 8/20.

is it like a general whoever in the area has an rc bbq or a family type thing? it'd be kinda nice to meet some peeps in the area who are into the silly little hobby. the rc10gt is what got me back into rc's like 5 years ago, but since then i've got into the crawlers alot more. it was very hard to run a nitro in the city and just plain boring to do it alone. i havent ran the gt's in a few years now and have been itchin to get them going again at least once before i sell them for pennies on ebay...

this is a pretty cool little board, i think i'll like it here. Big Grin
is that close to where zfrank chevy is? i take my car there. i think thats around western and granville. Wink

Yup Right next door to Z-Frank chevy at the Dodge dealer.
RobH Wrote:Am I the only one who likes hobbytown? lol :o

I buy parts and fuel there (Fox Valley). I have no problems but I go in knowing what I want/need. Maybe it's different if you go there seeking help or advice. Most of the guys there seem to be willing to help, with good attitude, which is 90% of good service, to me. I know that the owner is tied to the STC location also.

For fue, paint, and parts, I say they are fine.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
Hi, new guy here at the forum. My son and I just purchased a used RC10GT off of ebay for a good price. So in the process I have been researching places I can go to pick up fuel and other essential sundries, as I will be purchasing parts most likely online. I loved Stanton hobbies, I have been going there since I was like 8 yrs old and I am 32 now, my grandfather used to take me to their old location. I was sorry to see them go.
I have found a couple of places in the city that have fuel and plugs for sale, some carry parts. I will probably be doing most of my racing and practicing up at AJ's (soon to be Intense Raceway) up in DeKalb, or bashing on the family property in Michigan City, IN. ( 18 acres but need to get rid of some brush and trees first). Although I havent ruled out other tracks within a 100 mile radius of Chicago.
So I compiled a list of Inner City Chicago LHS's since I reside a couple of blocks west of Western and Lawrence. I only asked them if they carried Nitro, plugs, oil and Parts:

Pilot Hobby Shop
5450 W. Belmont
Phone: 773.736.0451
Hours: 10am-6pm Mon-Thur, 10am-5pm Tues-Fri-Sat. Closed Sunday.
Carries: Nitro Fuel (10,20,25%), and Glow plugs (I think), parts(call).

Tom Thumb Hobbies
1026 Davis Street, Evanston Ill.
Phone: 847.869.9575
Hours: 10am-6pm Mon-Fri, 10am-5pm Sat, Closed Sunday
Carries: Nitro Fuel (HPI, O'Donnel, Blue Thunder/ 10-20%), Glow Plugs, shock oil, Parts(call)

Forever Timeless
3605 W. Belmont (Belmont and Central Park)
Phone: 773.583.4388
Hours: 12-7pm Mon-Sat, 11-4:30pm Sundays
Carries: Nitro Fuel (HPI, Top Fuel / 10-20%), OS plugs, RTR's

Chicagoland Hobby INC.
6017 N. Northwest HWY, Chicago ( Between Harlem and Nagle)
Phone: 773.775.4848
Hours: 11am-7pm Mon-Thur, 11am-8:30pm Fri, 10am-5pm Sat, Closed Sunday
Carries: Nitro Fuel, Plugs, Oils,Parts(call for mor info). The guy said they were getting back into RC and restocking their shelves.

So there ya have it the inner city LHS's
PoPRC
That's a good list...but most of those places are really not worth going to if you are really into R/C Racing or Bashing.

Most of the parts you will need will have to be ordered which pretty much defeats the purpose of going to the hobby store.

Even though they are farther I would say it's worth the drive to hit either AL's Hobby in Elmhurst or Venture Hobbies up north.

I live smack dab in the middle of the city and would only drive to those spots.
Anthony_ISLA
Well, the way I am looking at it is if I need something like nitro or plugs and dont have time to go out there then I'll go to these places. If I am heading to say AJ's in DeKalb I wouldnt need to, he has a shop there. Just alternatives that are a bit closer. Plus with 3 kids and working 10-12 hours a day, i'd have to plan to make a special trip. Which isnt always possible for me. I will probably make a trip to Al's and Venture just to check them out.
couple blocks west of western and lawrence? i'm pretty much right up the road at western and winnemac...

i have 2 rc10gts, tons of parts too. if your ever in a bind shoot me a pm and maybe i could help ya out.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tower hobbies is giving away Platnium REVO's! Whoo Hoo! team3six 20 5,915 04-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Toughtrax
  Killer Hobbies 1/2 off Rawkfist_02 9 2,036 04-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Last Post: slaytanic
  What happened while I was gone Rex 6 1,904 04-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Rex
  Kenosha His and Her's Hobbies Carpet chicagokenji 3 1,405 11-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Procharged5.0
  Good deal on Mini T batteries at Stormer Hobbies DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 28 4,425 12-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Last Post: SixVi6-Camaro
  Amain Hobbies cemeb4dk 12 2,746 09-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Last Post: bigjs
  Has this happened to anyone John78 11 2,738 02-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Last Post: John78
  so what other hobbies outside of R/C does everybody have? clearwaterms 1 1,716 11-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Last Post: TowShen