Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gel cell battery question
I have searched for a sealed gel-cellstarter box 12volt battery, but I keep finding sealed lead-acid batts. Who may have tried a lead-acid batt? Or, where is the true gel-cell batt everyone references?
Thanks
DC
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
Lead-acid batteries are gell-cells. Gell-cell is just a nickname. Its the same thing. The ones used for starter boxes are 12V 7aH.
Thanks...that's what I kept finding. What got me thinking about this was seeing your two boxes stood on end in the pits. It made me wonder if that was to avoid any potential for leaking if you had that kind of battery, or just to conserve on table space?
My starter box was converted to use 2 7.2 volt batteries. Very easy to do, and MUCH better, longer lasting starting.
You're never to old to be immature
Mike, the sealed battery is 7000mah..how can stick packs compare to that for $20? educate me here. I can see the initial voltage of two sticks being higher to start, but that has to drop off pretty fast on usage....

I am not concerned about the weight factor in this decision either.
Sticks work fine but you need to charge them more often. They are lighter and you don't need a seperate charger as most people have chargers to do stick packs or reciever packs already... many people already have stick packs for that matter.

Gel cells are heavier but I found hold a charge a lot longer. The best setup that I had was my ofna chrome top box with a gel cell. I could easily go a few race weekends without charging it....

That answer your question??

Now I have one.... is there a charger out there that can charge reciever packs, glow starters, stick packs, and gel cells?? Most that I find will do all but gel cells.
Dan, don't take this the wrong way, but no, you didn't answer my question to Mike. And on top of it, you diverted my question to one about your need for a charger. Start a new thread asking about chargers so this one can stay focused on the battery issue. Sorry for being harsh because I know I stray off topic all the time too....but...I need an answer on this.

My searching on this battery shows that the charger needs to output 12volts at 1/2 amp for around 8-12 hours (http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/110270.asp)
Well, maybe I'm a bit biased about gel cells. I hate them. They take longer to start the motor, because they have less power. I hate charging them for 18 hours too. They cost a lot, but Tower recently got one that is 5ah, but I dont know if its stock yet.
Everyone has a use for a couple good 7.2 sticks, why get into a whole different battery charging issue when you can stay with what is convenient and more powerful, and LIGHTER.
As far as run time? You are probably right about that, but ask the racers. They all use the two battery settup and dont complain.
My box fired up my motor easily the whole night. I stalled it and otherwise used that box well. No problems. You saw how fast that truck lit up. I charged those batteries a week ago, so they ran on whatever was left after sitting a week.
To hook them up. just make a simple Y harness to link the batts in series for the 14.4 volts. Just like here (half way down page): http://www.swami-rc.com/tips.htm

Also, true, that two stick packs at radio shack will cost 50 bucks, as opposed to twenty bucks for a gell, but I was just figuring that you had a couple packs laying around, like me.

So, if you dont have any 7.2 volt batteries, or a 7.2 volt charger - then you might as well stick with the gel cell if its all the same to you. I just prefer stick packs. I even converted my Nylint rock crawler to use double stick packs instead of the gel cell.
I have some sticks (not as many as an electric driver usually has on hand), but I guess I need new or bigger capacity ones. My box for the GT crapped out right away and I had charger the cells Sunday...maybe one is tooo old but they are only like 1500mah's? Even on good deals I see stick packs are $15 each.

I might have to try it again....

Thanks for the info guys.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
I used the radio shack GP 3300's
Yeah, those are nice, but pricey at RS. That's why that $20 lead weight looked so good...but it is only good for one thing.
I stand the boxes on their end soley for conserving starting table space.

1. Stick packs can be charged much faster than a gell cell (face it, we all have forgetten to charge our starterbox at one point or another), so in a pinch you can charge them at the track quickly enough that you can use them for the day. You show up with a dead gell cell and your sol unless you can share with someone else.
2. Stick packs are lighter
3. Stick packs can dish out more power on demand than a gell cell. Better for trying to start all those high compression and tight pinched engines.
My apologies.... I thought I said about what he said. You said that the voltage was higher with stick packs.... correct, and that a gel cell lasts longer but has a lower voltage..... I didn't see any other question really being asked.
I was more hoping Mike would point me where to get 2 big-cap stick packs for $20! Big Grin

It's all good.

Friends?
The stick packs have lasted just as long on a charge as a gell cell for me, and u know they actually make the wheel spin fast lol. I went through the gell cell BS for 2 years, sometimes they take a charge sometimes not, and when they wear down good luck getting anything started. Like tune said they charge in about half an hour and make it hella easy to start ur stuff up
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
the stick packs are pricey but if u get a set of decnt 3300 or 3600 they will last u a long ass time

I know. It's just I'm a poor father of two small children with college right around the corner blahblahblahblahblah.................and a good charger is needed so I don't kill the good packs yadayadayada.....so, can someone please give me their spare stuff because I can't really afford this hobby that my kids dragged me into..........boohoooooobbooooohhhhooooooo
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
Lol

ok, I got my answers, so this thread can officially move to off-topic BS....where can Dan get a charger and I need a cord mending kit for my broken pullstarter rope. And I need some lefthanded lexan scissors.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
i need some muffler bearings anyone got a spare set? Wink

Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:i need some muffler bearings anyone got a spare set? Wink

Let me pull them off of my car. Big Grin

Anywho.... chargers that can do stick packs, reciever packs, glow starters AND gel cells?? :confused:
piranaha

dan the dudes been sick at radical, its gonna be a couple more days

you still use muffler bearings????

noob
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
well atleast im using the right color powerband Smile

Ya know, Dodge Stealth and Mitsu 3000GT back in the day actually had muffler bearings FYI =)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  maxx .26 question towman 1 3,007 01-02-2011, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Racin' Ranger1
  question about a vspec engine eraser 83 12,958 02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Last Post: J-Dub
  new vspec question eraser 2 1,829 11-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Last Post: chickenfarmer3
  question about a new motor eraser 20 4,633 10-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Last Post: willitbme15
  question about rc stuff rayk504 1 1,705 09-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Mr. Tune