Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
am I just stupid? (revo question)
ok, all the obscenities have been omitted, so this should be real short.. I've got an OS .18TM with the T-maxx header and I have a Revo with no engine. I tried hanging the OS into the revo, only to find that it will not fit in the standard Revo mount, I have everything I need to make my revo run except the motor mount, what do I need to use here?
"if guns cause crime, all of mine are defective" - Ted Nugent
You need the OS Revo header.

OSMG2619 is the part number.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
do'oh! I have that, along with a new pipe..

when I place the engine in the mount, the block and mount will line up on one side, but when you sneak a peak around the other side (inboard) there's a couple mm gap that absolutely will not allow the engine to mount, it looks like there is too much meat (aluminum) under the case to allow it to fit in that engine mount...

I'd rather use the OS engine, but I guess I'm going to go with the TRX if I can't make it fit without JB weld or duct tape..
Then I dunno. The 18TM is designed to be a drop in engine swap.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
do you have the chassis engine mount loose so it has play? That way you can wiggle the engine in....
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
ummm, no!! I don't think so, the two screws that hold it were kinda tight, I'll loosen everything tonight and see if that helps...
Aren't there 2 os18tm's on the market? One for a tmaxx and one for the revo? Do you have the right one?
you've gotta be kiddin'... are there two different blocks, one for each engine?

I'm soooooo hosed!!!!
Confusedmash:

edited to add: looks like they are different, thanks!
Same crankcase part number for both engines. The different models would be for the exhaust.

But the website does say this about the Revo version:

COMMENTS:This engine differs from the TM w/T-Maxx manifold (OSMG2115) in the manner that the crankcase cooling fins are removed on this version.

Look at the OS website...the Revo version has rounded off cooling fins on the bottom of the case. The Tmaxx version has square ones. You may be getting out the Dremel.

Revo
http://www.gpmd.com/cgi-bin/wgpinf100p?&I=OSMG2112
T_Maxx
http://www.gpmd.com/cgi-bin/wgpinf100p?&I=OSMG2115
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
I know it sounds crazy but you will have to grind the cooling fins from the bottom of the crankcase to make it clear properly. It won't hurt anything to grind the fins off.

Supermaxx Predator Lite Race Maxx
Supermaxx Thunder Big-Block Race Truck
GS Storm SUT CE Native Racing Truck
Mugen MBX5T
Mugen MBX5R
thanks for the help guys!!

as far as grinding the engine to fit, it's probably an option, but this actually works in my t-maxx, along with that, the engine is a year old, probably too old to race with.. I'll either go pick up the revo TM or pick up one of the TRX engines (2.5R or 3.3)...

thanks for the pics Dave...
Be sure to seal off every square inch of that engine before you start....that aluminum dust will be getting everywhere!!!!
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
stratcat Wrote:edited to add: looks like they are different, thanks!

No prob Smile.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it earlier! That was the first thing that popped into my head when you said it didn't fit on the engine mount.
the tmaxx and revo TM's are the same excluding the header that comes with them. The headers are different hence two different part numbers for the motors.

The engine blocks are the same.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Actually, I believe that the older TMs that were for the T-Maxxes still had the fins on the bottom of the crankcase. I don't think that the newer versions have that anymore.
ive got an os 18 tm block if u want it pm me
Grinding fins off a TM for a Revo ? I have one of the first TM's and then later picked up another one and didnt have to grind anything. Tweaked motor mount ??? You try starting all four bolts instead of tightening one side and then starting the other side ?
snakebite46 Wrote:Grinding fins off a TM for a Revo ? I have one of the first TM's and then later picked up another one and didnt have to grind anything. Tweaked motor mount ??? You try starting all four bolts instead of tightening one side and then starting the other side ?

The older T-Maxx version TMs had fins on the bottom of the crankcase. OS has stopped doing that now though. The Revo version TMs have never had these fins, just the T-Maxx versions.

[Image: OS.jpg]
Ahhh see learn something new everyday. =)
do you have a pic of the revo version?

It doesn't seem like it be worth it for OS to have two different engine moulds for the same engine. I would assume that they would make the same engine and have it fit both trucks, it would dramatically cut costs and make it easier for the real world users to swap motors around.

I just don't see OS's R&D dept saying "we should have two moulds so we can add fins to the bottom of the t-maxx version".
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
I'm thinking the revo wasn't out when they designed the one pictured above, so they designed it to fit what was out currently.
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
The OS18tm's came out after the revo was already out.....
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 Wrote:Same crankcase part number for both engines. The different models would be for the exhaust.

But the website does say this about the Revo version:

COMMENTS:This engine differs from the TM w/T-Maxx manifold (OSMG2115) in the manner that the crankcase cooling fins are removed on this version.

Look at the OS website...the Revo version has rounded off cooling fins on the bottom of the case. The Tmaxx version has square ones. You may be getting out the Dremel.

Revo
http://www.gpmd.com/cgi-bin/wgpinf100p?&I=OSMG2112
T_Maxx
http://www.gpmd.com/cgi-bin/wgpinf100p?&I=OSMG2115

The highlighted comment is from OS's website.
When you pull up the parts list from each version of the engine, they list the same crankcase part number for both engines...yet the pictures (links) clearly show two different styles. So, does OS grind off the fins for the Revo part number, or did they change the TMaxx item to not have the lower fins?
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
weird...that's a new one for me
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  maxx .26 question towman 1 3,006 01-02-2011, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Racin' Ranger1
  question about a vspec engine eraser 83 12,941 02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Last Post: J-Dub
  new vspec question eraser 2 1,829 11-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Last Post: chickenfarmer3
  question about a new motor eraser 20 4,633 10-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Last Post: willitbme15
  Axial .32 vs. Traxxas Big Block Installation Kit Revo marcaotz 3 2,244 09-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Tex
  question about rc stuff rayk504 1 1,705 09-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Mr. Tune
  Revo Pipe, Rubbing J-Dub 10 2,904 08-16-2007, 07:01 PM
  Big Block Revo Problems? No More! :D J-Dub 12 3,691 07-25-2007, 06:02 PM
  8ight Clutchbell Question motoxer4life 19 4,585 07-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Last Post: cr4sh_27
  BB revo help Racin' Ranger1 7 3,010 07-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Racin' Ranger1