Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LST2 Shift Point, can't hear it, feel it or see it.
I'm helping a friend try to get his LST2 broken in and working properly. This is his first go at nitro and I ran in to him while I was out bashing a few months back. We exchanged names/numbers, then I got a call from him last week... 2 months ago, he had a used t-maxx. 2 weeks ago he bought a brand new LST2.

He couldn't get it running. I went out and we spent a few hours beginning the break-in process. Everything went as I expected. The engine was finicky for tune/idle until about the 4th tank. The day was over (dark) and we left. He called me again today and wanted to know if I could help some more.

We spent the past 2 hours trying to get that thing to shift into second. First, we ran a few more tanks through it breaking it in and getting a decent tune. He had forgotten his manual and I know nothing about LST's other than I want one. He did remember that the 2speed comes from the factory at 5 turns out. So, that's where we started. Then 5 1/4, 5 1/2, 6, 7. Never do we hear it shift, never does the RPM's of the engine change or the does the truck speed up.

In the process of changing the shift point, we had dismantled the two speed entirely to make sure the shoes weren't binding or anything. They didn't seem to be. The only evidence on the shoe cowl (where it should be rubbing when engaging) that it was making contact was a small groove where the screw head made contact. The shoes look brand new, still shiny and the inside of the cowl has no evidence of shoe contact. No rub marks, powder, streaks, nothing. I had also cleaned off all excess oil (about 20 minutes into our session today) off the clutch shoes and cowling with DA.

I just don't get it. I've never had a clutch like this, so it's totally foreign to me. I've had 10 different trucks and 15 engines... but this clutch is kicking my ass.

Even with the clutch at 7 turns out, it would pull a standing wheelie off the line. And it just seems pretty slow. If it is stuck in second or something, then he is really disappointed at it's top speed. His old tired t-maxx could out run it after about 50 feet. I was hoping with that loose of a clutch, it would at least be stuck in second and we could tune down from there.

He doesn't have internet which is why I'm trying to find out info for him. Anything that anyone can think of will be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
LST2 Shift Point, can't hear it, feel it or see it. - by olds97_lss - 01-07-2007, 06:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leisure Hours On Road Point Series chicagokenji 0 1,982 04-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  Feel the need for a limited edition G4+ ??? DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 1 1,010 06-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Racin' Ranger1
  good starting point? AddictedtoNITRO 8 2,125 02-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Czech-it-Out Graphics
  I feel like I got scammed. I think I did. Rawkfist_02 68 6,948 01-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Rawkfist_02
  Daves Track the 30th, point race. whos going? slim 2 930 07-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Mr. Tune
  Why did YOU buy an LST2? DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 11 1,629 06-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Last Post: kevinF
  Lst2 north_shore_racer 9 1,806 11-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Blown5.0