Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinley Park - August 8th
Just curious if anyone is going to do some on-road racing over at Tinley on August 7th?

It'll be my first time in a real race but Walt said alot of newbies race their first time at the track so what the hell. I'll probably be all over the track - hopefully staying out of peoples way.
I don't think anyone on this board (except Kenji) races at Tinley, we all race off-road
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
You guys should come out and watch me race then Smile
Are you going to be running both gas and electric?
Right now all I've got is a NTC3, I'd like to get an electric though.
I screwed up, this should be August 7th.
I will be attending.
Anthony_ISLA
Here is my profile Nexus, hope to see you there.
I asked Walt about the tires, here is his reply;

Walt at Chicagoland Raceway Wrote:40 shore foam tires seem to be a good starting point. If you want to make sure the car doesn't oversteer (tend to want to spin out), then you can go a little softer on the back, like maybe 40 shore front with 37 shore rear.

Most everyone I've talked to is in the 37-42 range in the front and 35 to 40 range in the back, with 40-40, 40-37 and 37-37 probably the most popular choices.

In case you didn't know, there are usually two different guys selling foam tires at our track (out of the trunk of their cars). One carries Twister Tires and the other carries GQ. I've used both, and they are good tires. Their prices right there at the track seem as good or better than just about anywhere I've gone to buy tires.

Make sure that you also have a decent body on your car for racing. I don't mean to tell you what you already know (since I don't know your proficiency level), but a lot of new guys show up for the first time with a Camaro body (or similar) with no rear wing, and that is a huge disadvantage. If you don't already have one of the popular touring car bodies (like the Stratus or Mazda 6) with the large included rear wing attached, I'd suggest you get one.
I would just buy tires at the track if it was me. $30 for (4) and you chhose the shore, that's a great deal.

I payed $42+tax at Al's for foams when I had my NTC3
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Quote:a lot of new guys show up for the first time with a Camaro body (or similar) with no rear wing, and that is a huge disadvantage.

I agree there.. the body makes a massive difference for on road cars and imo makes a pretty good difference in off road too.
-- John --
1:1.. 01 Z28 Camaro A4 Sure.. its stock.
1:8's.. K3, Inferno GT, and a straight line beater car
1:18.. RC18t Mamba and 3s lipo
We're a maybe for coming down to watch. Tinley's 40mins from home. I need some proper tires (which we will buy at the track) and a proper shell to put it on the track. But we'll get out there soon!

Rcdad, we'll look for the black TC3+, unless you get something else painted up before Sunday!!
I'm hoping to get the table, chairs, and sun shade so your welcome to come sit with me Smile
We'll see whay Sunday brings!! Thanks for offer. Who knows, if you make the Mains you might need an extra hand in your pit. I see they run 30 min mains in nitro.

Last night I finally ordered up some new shells. My boys have been after me to get some new ones to paint, so the time was right. Since the race fever is in the air I picked out the Protoform Mazda6 and a HPI Dodge Stratus. Both have been very widely used in racing for a while. Now to get thinking about Unique paint schemes.

I like orange......
I got my electric tc3 in the mail yesterday and it came with an extra set of tires (yipee!). I'll bring it also in case I have problems with the nitro.
Nexus do you know when people usually pull in there to start setting up all their crap?
RCDad Wrote:Nexus do you know when people usually pull in there to start setting up all their crap?

The hardcore guys...and one's who like first pick of areas to setup arrive between 8-9am. But I would say the majority arrive around 9am or later.

I talked to Albert and Howard and they both confirmed they will be there on Sunday selling GQ Racing Foams. If you don't know who they are come find me under the American flag canopy...or the electric TC guy running a Tamiya 415 with a skyblue Stratus body....and I will point them out.

---

onroad bodies:

Protoform Stratus 1, 2, 3.0 all work
Protoform Mazda6
Protoform and Parma Alfa

The HPI line of Stratus bodies should work fine...I've just never tried one.
Anthony_ISLA
RCDad Wrote:I got my electric tc3 in the mail yesterday and it came with an extra set of tires (yipee!). I'll bring it also in case I have problems with the nitro.

Jeez, did you win the lottery lately??!!!

You get more new stuff than anybody I know!!! You may need to see RCaholics Anonymous if you're not careful!
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
I got a late tax return of $2700 Smile

I should be pretty easy to spot at the track, I'll probably have my race team there i.e. wife and kids Big Grin
RCDad Wrote:I got a late tax return of $2700 Smile

I should be pretty easy to spot at the track, I'll probably have my race team there i.e. wife and kids Big Grin

If you guys really start racing....you will see the R/C money pit start Tongue

Did you get a RTR TC3 or a used one...if it's the RTR TC3 those tires really won't be any good at Tinley for racing.
Anthony_ISLA
They probably won't since their rubber but I doubt it will matter much the way I drive. I doubt I'll even make it around the track without crashing.
RCDad Wrote:They probably won't since their rubber but I doubt it will matter much the way I drive. I doubt I'll even make it around the track without crashing.

Whatever car you decide to run if you want to come by our pit area maybe we can help you out with some tips and setup.

Between Jimmy, myself, euge and everyone else I pit with we should be able to point you out in the right direction.
Anthony_ISLA
if your driving is bad RCDad, I'd suggest running the equipment that will make your driving better (i.e. foam tires)
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Geezus! It cost me $100 for a damn fold up bench/table combo and a canopy...
Stop keeping track of the money and start keeping track of the fun you're having with your family!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Racing and Bashing every Sunday in Bedford Park gmkiller 6 3,233 10-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Last Post: grim digger
  BASH-A-PALOOZA 2009 - August 16th! Brian_BigSquidRC 10 5,290 08-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Brian_BigSquidRC
  Traxxas Mini Revo and Slash in stock at Hobbytown Orland Park HTUSAOPIL 0 1,702 06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Last Post: HTUSAOPIL
  Villa Park Revoguy22 3 1,467 04-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Whitey04
  Friday august 18th Whitey04 0 1,240 08-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Whitey04
  Woodridge Bash, Friday August 4th RobH 10 2,366 08-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Last Post: RobH
  Dirt Dawg's Club Race August 6th MaxxGS 3 1,765 08-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Ponch
  Drag Racing in Tinley (May 20th) Brian_BigSquidRC 14 3,278 05-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Brian_BigSquidRC
  Intense Raceway Park now open for offroad... Nexus 22 4,753 05-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Last Post: DAVEC-NITRO-RS4
  9/25 Tinley's Final Race RCDad 64 9,836 09-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Last Post: RCDad