Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the brushless 5800 fit in a TC4?
I'm unsure what size the motor is in these cars. Will the Novak 5800 fit?
Dad, the TC4 accepts standard 540-size can motors. so yes a 5800 brushless should fit in there. Are you thinking about one?
So it won't fit in a TC3?

I need to get one so I can race at a track nearby.
It will fit in a TC3 as well...
yeah it will fit either a TC3 or TC4.

I used to have one my old TC3 when the Novak BL first came out.

[Image: tc3_03.jpg]
-- John --
1:1.. 01 Z28 Camaro A4 Sure.. its stock.
1:8's.. K3, Inferno GT, and a straight line beater car
1:18.. RC18t Mamba and 3s lipo
Someone said you have to make modifications to the TC3. Walt in Tinley Park said the BL system doesn't keep up with the brushed systems real well.
It's probaly a little grinding If you have to make any mods at all, nothing a Dremel can't handle. Wink
I think the only mod I had to make on my TC3 to make it work was dremel one small spot to clear the wires comming out from the back of the motor. Nothing else.

If you are talking about running in Modified classes with a BL it will not keep up simply because it does not put out as much power as a very well maintained top end mod motors. It also could be the way the BL was geared. Novak BL's make tons of power in at a lower RPM than mod motors so it should be geared with a large pinion to keep it into the powerband. The huge benefit of the Novak BL though is NO maintence.. NO turning coms, no changing brushes, no motor cleaning. just drop the batteries in and go.

are you planing on racing this? if so I'd forget the BL and get good electronics and a couple good 27t motors and concentrate on setup and smooth driving in the stock class and work your way up. If its just for bashing around go for it with the BL.
-- John --
1:1.. 01 Z28 Camaro A4 Sure.. its stock.
1:8's.. K3, Inferno GT, and a straight line beater car
1:18.. RC18t Mamba and 3s lipo
He said the competitive guys are running 8 & 9 turn motors.
The 8 and 9 turn motors would be the Modified class that Six was talking about. Check to see if they have a "Stock" class at tinley, which is 27t motors. It will be a much better starting block for anyone first getting into racing, because it is slower, and gives you a chance to get accustomed to racing. Also, with the Stock class, the cars would be a little more even, it would come down to the Driver as to who wins. Starting into racing, running a LOW turn motor, can get VERY frustrating, very fast. The car will be too fast for a beginner racer, and actually much harder to control. Also, the lower turn motors, will need more maintenance. Look into investing in a decent com Lathe, and keep backup brushes handy at all times.
Ok here;

RCDad Wrote:What setup is legal to race with or are there enough classes to accommodate everyone? i.e. if I bought a brushless setup.

Walt at Chicago Land RC Raceway Wrote:The electric class is 'open mod', so the only rules are: touring car body, 6-cells. You'd be fine with your brushless motor as long as you stick to 6-cells max.

The fast setup is running foam tires, but rubber tires are also allowed.

The fastest electric guys are running motors in the 8 to 9 turn range. The Novak SS5800 doesn't quite keep up, but it's fairly competitive. I've never seen anyone at our track running one of the sensorless brushless motors, in case that's what you've got. It would be allowed though.
hey rcdad im buying a brushless motor from novak for my xxxt its their new one the GTB racing esc and velociti or something brushless motor its a 5.5 turn motor and i asked the guys at novak they said its about the equivalent to a 8 to 9 turn brushed motor. and theres a no turn limit for brushed motors on the esc. i was stupid and almost bought it from horizon. they have it for 382 dollars. i checked tower hobbies and they have it for 240 dollars.its not out tho its coming out late july. so i have it on back order. novak said they gave it to a lot of proffesional drivers and they one a lot of races with it. with your check thats coming maybe you can get a new bl system lol
Gamer.
~Noto
I've been wanting to get a MGM Compro 80 and Feigao 8s motor but I'll wait and see what its like racing on-road first.

I'll see what the other guys are using.
ah...found this board.

I regularly race at Tinley, Trackside, AJ's, and wherever else there is electric TC. Not sure if I met any of you but I always run the Open TC class at Tinley. If you have electric TC questions I might be able to help.

note:

- There is only one electric class at Tinley....Open Class.
- Even for a beginner a stock motor would be reeeeally slow at Tinley. The straight is almost 140-150ft long and a stock motor would just take forever to finish. If you are running outdoors and want something a little more mild then a Mod just run a 19T.
- Overall the Novak Brushless is pretty fast and efficienty. For someone new this is nice because it has the speed and you have zero maintenence. Just gear down so you car can't hit super speeds.
Anthony_ISLA
You going to be there Sunday Nexus?
RCDad Wrote:You going to be there Sunday Nexus?

So far that is my plan. I just raced the Summer Sizzler at Trackside so I need to convert my cars over from the indoor setup. I usually pit with Jimmy Stegan under an American Flag canopy if anyone needs help.
Anthony_ISLA
I've never been there so I'll be the guy getting in everyones way both on and off the track.
A stupid question but does Tinley have rental transponders or do you need a personal installed?
Nexus, What kind of pinion/spur combinations would you recomend for the Tinley track? say for a 12t modified.
DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 Wrote:A stupid question but does Tinley have rental transponders or do you need a personal installed?

You don't need a personal transponder. The track has ones you can use during your qualifiers and the main. I'm not sure if there is a cost associated with renting one...if so it's like $5.

Quote:I've never been there so I'll be the guy getting in everyones way both on and off the track.

If you need setup help stop by.

If this is yours or anyones first time racing there...remember to bring a chair, pit table, and an extension cord if you need electric power. You don't really need a easy-up canopy but it's a nice extra if you don't want to be in the sun that much.

Quote:Nexus, What kind of pinion/spur combinations would you recomend for the Tinley track? say for a 12t modified.

I'm not sure what kind of car you are running so that's hard to give a recommendation.
Anthony_ISLA
Nexus,

Thank you for answering all of our questions. You are a true ambassador of the RC community!!

Does Tinley get a fairly large turnout for Nitro Sedan Stock racing? Do you have a link to the details of racing at Tinley, like costs, times, etc? I hate to keep asking you all the questions, unless you don't mind answering them.

Thanks Again,

Dave
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
Sorry bud, TC3 of course.
DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 Wrote:Nexus,

Thank you for answering all of our questions. You are a true ambassador of the RC community!!

Does Tinley get a fairly large turnout for Nitro Sedan Stock racing? Do you have a link to the details of racing at Tinley, like costs, times, etc? I hate to keep asking you all the questions, unless you don't mind answering them.

Thanks Again,

Dave

Here is the tracks official website http://chicagolandrc.com/welcome.htm

* Track opens at 9am, registration closes at 10:30 (you can register after 10:30, but will miss the first round of qualifying) racing starts at 11am.

* $10/person, and $5/person for each additional class entered. There is an additional $5 charge to rent a track transponder if you don't have your own AMBrc personal transponder.

There is one 1/10th scale Nitro class and usually there are 20-30 guys running depending on the day.

In the electric class there are usually 10-20 depending on who shows up....a little smaller turnout but still plenty. Besides...electric mod can smoke the nitro guys! LOL

Either way Chicagoland RC Raceway has the biggest turnouts of any other outdoor track in the area. Once you come out you will see it's a blast to race there and just about everyone is friendly. Walt who runs the track is very helpful as well. You can also see the results of every raceday on the results page. This is awesome because you can see how you and everyone did in qualifying and the mains. It also tracks the total points of all the Series/Points day races.

Quote:Sorry bud, TC3 of course.

It's been awhile since I've owned one but I would just go with the manual recommendation of 22/72. If you are running new foams out of the box or rubber tires this will be close.
Anthony_ISLA
Oh man, I'm going to have to go out Saturday and try to pickup chairs n stuff.
Well I just answered my own question, installed a Novak Super Sport system into my TC3. Can't wait to see what kind of speed I'll get. Going to make it tough to decide whether to drive nitro or electric Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  E-Revo Brushless Edition? Summit? J-Dub 2 3,306 10-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Fastlane GraphiX
  brushless, sensored or sensorless ? bkdent 3 1,671 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Last Post: thenewguy821
  Brushless Mini-Z Formula 1. CowboySiR 3 1,930 07-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Racin' Ranger1
  2 brushless lsp videos -nick 28 6,376 06-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Tex
  Some 1/18 Brushless Questions UE-Maxx 51 7,321 02-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Last Post: AddictedtoNITRO