Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to part with the savage...
So, today I was outside for some test and tune with the savage. First off, it took me 20 minutes to start it :mad:. Once I finally got it started, I was driving it around and monitering the temps. They were stable at around 220-230. Not bad I say, no point in making adjustments, it's running good.

I decided to just drived it around and use up the remainder of the tank. 3 minutes later, under full throttle, the engine just stops!!. I went over to it, tried to pull the pullstarter. Well what do you know, the freaking thing is SEIZED!! Not even a 1/2 gallen used up (including break in) and the motor is toast. I'll get some pics up this weekend after I take the motor out of the truck. I'm dissapointed with sh to say the least.

I vowed that this will be the last engine I put in this savage, and now since it's toast, I'm gonna sell the truck as a roller and every part in my inventory for it. Rocco, if you're reading this, what are my chances of sending this motor in to sh and getting a new one? What do I need to know? It would be nice to recoup some or all of the cost for it.

My plans for this weekend and maybe next are screwed as I have nothing to run Sad. I'll be out for the final race on sat at leasure, no berwyn this sunday, and possibly no monster jam or wisconsin next weekend either. What a time to blow up a motor! Sad

Time to start searching for my next off-road project. Smile
that's crap man. So what kind of RC are you getting next? lol

I have two monster trucks and you can use one (the t-maxx) for the up and coming events. Just replace whatever you break (it's almost stock so it's all cheap parts)

You can't miss the last race at Leisure! Or that Madison track, that thing looks awesome!
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
that blows. how much does a engine cost and how much you gonna sell it for?? wheres the monster jam at?

Noto
This was in a email I just got from Brian Lewis, owner of chicagoRc. (The club that runs Monster Jam)

[QUOTE]In my last newsletter I made an announcement that our next Monster Jam should be taking place on June 5th in Lake Zurich. After applying for the necessary permits, it turns out that this location will not work for us as planned. The park district hired a new director and he has set-up requirements that will not work for our events.

For a couple of reasons including this recent setback with Lake Zurich, I have decided not to continue running the club as part of Chicago R/C. Instead, I will be spending more time writing Chicago R/C newsletters, keeping the chicagorc.com web site updated, and writing more product reviews. The club has been a lot of fun, but it is just too time consuming for me to keep it running effectively. [QUOTE]

Looks like there is no more MJ! :eek:
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Man... I never got to go to one of those. Sounds like he needs someone to take the reins and run or help him run it...Can u think of anyone Tex?
Last year he asked if i wanted to take it over and I said no. I wasn't sure if he was kidding or not back then but i guess he wasn't kidding.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Mr Tune, Sorry to hear about your Savage woes. It's odd, a lot of people were swearing by how great the SH engine is/was, especially in a Savage, but all I have heard lately is bad things about it. I think that SH may be willing to work with you on the engine.

On another note, would it be possible for me to get that XTM Backplate from the Mach? I might be interested in some of the Savage parts as well.... Smile
so what truck are you getting next tune? LST? REVO? MGT? BUGGY?
Problems like that was the reason I converted the whole family over to electrics. I'd spend 20 minutes getting one truck started while another would run out of gass etc. I'd never get to even use my own truck Big Grin
tex, thanks for the offer, but I'll have to decline. I still have the buggy which only needs minor repairs to get it running (bad clutch). Monster trucks are what I like the most and I'm bummed that I don't have one to race for the next few weeks.

Are they running buggies tommorrow too for the last race day? Maybe I'll try to get the parts I need for it from the hobby shop so I can race it on saturday.

newguy, the back plate will screw on to the motor just fine, but one of the corners is messed up, so a pull starter or roto-starter type plate on it will only tighten with 2 screws. If you still want it, it's yours.

And for those wondering what's next... a revo Smile
They will probably be running buggies also. I don't see there being that many MT's there to take up the whole night. Also, since they are closing after Racing tomorrow, The Buggies are going to need a final race also. So I would assume they will run buggies too.

I'll take that backplate.... also, PM me what other spare parts you have laying around for the Savage.
Do any of you guys belong to that club? I thought about it but saw no reason to.
RCDad Wrote:Do any of you guys belong to that club? I thought about it but saw no reason to.

what club?
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
I think he's refering to the club that runs the monster jam event, chicago r/c.

If so, I don't think any of us are members, I could be wrong though. Most of us would attend the monster jam even anyway, as they allowed non-members to pay and participate.
Mr Tune, Ultimatehobbies.com has the Revo for $429.99 with free shipping and no sales tax. That's probably the best price on the internet you will find it for. Just letting you know.
I got mine from Mac Hobbies in Alabama via phone for close to that, as well. If you can't find it on Ultimate Hobbies, I can get you the info on them.
Cool, thanks for the heads up guys.
Mr. Tune Wrote:So, today I was outside for some test and tune with the savage. First off, it took me 20 minutes to start it :mad:. Once I finally got it started, I was driving it around and monitering the temps. They were stable at around 220-230. Not bad I say, no point in making adjustments, it's running good.

I decided to just drived it around and use up the remainder of the tank. 3 minutes later, under full throttle, the engine just stops!!. I went over to it, tried to pull the pullstarter. Well what do you know, the freaking thing is SEIZED!! Not even a 1/2 gallen used up (including break in) and the motor is toast. I'll get some pics up this weekend after I take the motor out of the truck. I'm dissapointed with sh to say the least.

I vowed that this will be the last engine I put in this savage, and now since it's toast, I'm gonna sell the truck as a roller and every part in my inventory for it. Rocco, if you're reading this, what are my chances of sending this motor in to sh and getting a new one? What do I need to know? It would be nice to recoup some or all of the cost for it.

My plans for this weekend and maybe next are screwed as I have nothing to run Sad. I'll be out for the final race on sat at leasure, no berwyn this sunday, and possibly no monster jam or wisconsin next weekend either. What a time to blow up a motor! Sad

Time to start searching for my next off-road project.

John,

First off im sorry that the sh i sold took a dump, im very very sorry for that. If you call hobby people they will tell you to send it in and they will replace it . Im almost positive they will replace it no questions asked, Thats what they did for me!
Second.... Im very sorry to here your parting ranks with the savage!!!! I think you need to reconcider. No offense john but i think yours (and mine!!) driving style suits the savage very well... All over the place!! Big Grin Its also a very durable truck. I think your just needs a serious tear down and rebuild. You gotta remember all the stress that is put on these small toy trucks. Things plain wear out and fall outta spec.

If your dead set on getting rid of your savage and are looking to move to the dark side (aka TRAXXAS) Call me i know a guy that wants to sell me a revo with a gallon on it.
I hope you reconcider leaving the hpi ..... Let me know what yoour gonna do. Cuz if you do trade up i might want some of your parts
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  right forum this time My buggy willitbme15 21 3,483 05-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Last Post: 4wheelinrevo
  Drag Racing Time! (BigSquidRC) Brian_BigSquidRC 6 1,818 05-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Brian_BigSquidRC
  Savage hansarvin 3 1,299 03-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Last Post: mikeh
  Building a new Savage basher. mikeh 20 3,106 02-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Czech-it-Out Graphics
  Losi 8ight part number son1cn 12 2,928 01-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Last Post: kevinF
  E-Savage north_shore_racer 13 2,232 01-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Last Post: mikeh
  OK- time to either fix it or get rid of it.... matt03gls 5 1,502 10-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Last Post: rocco79
  Savage Questions Chicagojoe 10 2,907 09-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Last Post: SLOW REVO
  Time to pick out a motor for my buggy. Mr. Tune 23 3,114 07-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Last Post: rocco79
  figure its time for my mini salsaking 6 1,718 06-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Tex