Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for Pit Lane???
Any tips on pitting??? I am hoping to be bringing someone to pit for me (heck it may even be my GF) but chances are they haven't pitted before. About when do you pit... (I know it varries with motors), and tips for the pit person, etc. Thanks.

(Looking for some pre-race help. It will be hard to practice seeing that there is no fuel allowed during practice... Sad )
For the revo with a 2.5r you can maybe im just saying maybe get 10 mins out of it. I usually pit arround 8 mins and with the 2.5r. OS .18tm you probably want to pit arround 7 and a 1/2 mins. Pre-race help - get to the track early and take some runs arround the track see how the truck feels make sure your engine is tuned right. Make your adjustments there. If you need help you can ask any of us at the track. You can ask me to I have a revo and will be racing today. Oh and also if you cant bring someone to pit for you can probably ask anyone there most guys will help out.
Mugen MBX5T Prospec
RB C6bb/O.S. Speed
Hitec 5955
Futaba s9351
Jr Z-1
http://www.frontlinetec.com

Soo easy a cave man can drive it Mooooooooooogen
Are the qualifiers long enough that you need to pit for fuel, or just the mains?
Just the mains. The quals are only 5 min.
Ya you wont really need to worry about the quals. But for the mains you will need someone to pit for you. Like i said im sure anyone would be gladly to help.
Mugen MBX5T Prospec
RB C6bb/O.S. Speed
Hitec 5955
Futaba s9351
Jr Z-1
http://www.frontlinetec.com

Soo easy a cave man can drive it Mooooooooooogen
With most monster trucks, you won't need a fill up for any of the qualifiers. Just make sure you have a full tank of gas. You should have a problem running 2-3 minutes of warm up and the 5 min qualifying run.

The UMT and 1/8 scale guys like filling up right after warm up, just before the race starts.
[QUOTE=

The UMT and 1/8 scale guys like filling up right after warm up, just before the race starts.[/QUOTE]

Like too? I dont think my ST could run six minutes. More like we have too...The losi is another story. That thing could run the 15 min main on a tank. Have fun and enjoy...

MBX5T - O.S.
MBX5R - Novarossi
Nomadio
-Make sure they know how to start your ride. Cold engines don't always like to idle like a warm one does. It's nice to be able to blip the throttle as you are going up on the stand to keep the carb cleared out, and then to be able to look down from the stand and have someone place your car on the track for you without it dying.

-Try to have your pit guy standing below you, with your starter box behind them on the table. There is nothing worse than to have your starter box at one end of the table, while you and your pit guy are at the other end when your car flames out.

-You may or may not want to discuss your carb needles, and what you mean by leaning out, or richening the top end, or low end, and what an hour of adjustment is. Depending on where you are racing, you may have to make subtle adjustments as the day goes on. This was evident this past weekend at the trophy race at LH. As the day went on, and the temps dropped inside a little, guys were choosing to lean out their motors a couple of hours. Its nice to know that when you are on the drivers stand, and you feel that your engine is getting a little rich on top, you can yell down for him to make the adjustment, and you don't have to come off the driver's stand to do it.

-Do a couple of dry runs with your pit guy, especially if they have never done it before. Show them where to, and where not to pick up your ride from to put it on the board. Also run through the easiest/fastest way to open the tank and refill.

-Keep their eyes on your car during the race. It sucks when your car flames out, your pit guy doesn't see it, because he is too busy watching someone else, and your trying to get their attention over the roar of a dozen screaming motors.

-Just some other general courtesies that anyone else would expect. If your not going to be pitting you car, and the pit guy next to you is..step back, and give him some room to work. If the situation is reversed, don't be afraid to ask if the other guy to give you some room. After all, we aren't racing for the keys to the Cadillac, its usually for bragging rights until next week. I've even helped out other pit guys when their driver comes in, and they have offered to help me (that will come with time, and once guys recognize you and know who you are and that you are not trying to screw over their driver).

-As for run time, every track layout will give you different run times. get there early to get a few practice runs in and time them. How often you put your car on its lid will also result in slightly shorter run times. This is due to getting on the throttle to keep it running, or to make enough noise to get a marshalls attention, this usually results in a little more fuel consumption. Don't try to use every drop of fuel before you refuel. Make sure you discuss when you are going to pit with you pit guy, and communicate with him/her when you are about to come in, or if he/she is going to watch the clock and call you in. If you know you can get 8 minutes per tank, come in at 7 minutes, or 7:30 for instance. Don't try squeezing in that extra lap, and finding out you don't have the fuel to do it. That will cost you a lot more time than if you have to make one extra splash-and-go, as compared to the guy next to you.
=== Five-O Designs ---> Custom-painted RC bodies ===
TTR S3 - KHz hop-ups, flat chassis.
Hot Bodies LSP - Tricked out with plenty o' bling from the King
Pitman info:

Never having raced we didn't know the pitman role for the "Bobbo start" for the Mains, where the pitman holds the truck off the ground, then puts it down, then you go on the raised "flag". Guys without pit assistance had to line up on the ground and idle. Having a pitman to hold the truck off the ground let's you keep it revving and let's him top of the tank and restart it if needed!
7 1/2 minute between pit stops with a tm? I must have a super fuel efficient tm. I can go 10-12 minutes on 1 tank.
I'm not sure we needed to pit in the 15min race. During the 5min races our 2.5R was using very little fuel? Wait, it's because I drive SO SLOWLY !!!! DOH!!!
Hey Jack, I would like to post your pit tips as a sticky next to our "race tips" and "marshalling tips" if that's ok?

Very good info for newcomers and a great refresher for us vets (so to speak)....LMK
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Absolutely. Feel free to add to it if you can think of anything else.
an by all means... TELL THEM TO STAND BACK WHEN NOT PITTING!!!!

in the A saturday, i couldnt see the entrance at all from people leaning over.... i got hung up on the ramp up from GUESSING where my car was, and NOONE would help me. a marshal had to run 1/2 way across the track to do it. thanx guys...:-(
And should your pitman be under the driver? And should the drivers be lined up on the drivers stand in their qual order?
I hear ya Slim. I have mentioned that to a couple of people that I felt had some more influence with the powers to be than I did, after noticing that at the first race. I felt that the orange line should go all the way across too, but what do I know...LOL.

Dave, your pit beech should definitely be under you. Its a little easier when it comes to communicating with him unless you have two-way radio systems. As for lining up on the stand in your qualifying order, that may may not always work. Some drivers have a preference of where they are comfortable on the stand, whether it be the right, middle or left side. Some people can drive a hell of a race no matter where they stand. If anything, maybe you give a driver his choice of where he wants to stand in order of qualifying position. That is another good reason to have a pit guy. If he knows how to fire your car, you can get in line at the drivers stand stairs, and he can fire you when they get the go-ahead, while you get your favorite spot.
Thanks, didn't want to accidentially anger someone by being where I'm not entitled to stand up there. I definately needed a clear view of my most difficult to handle area, so I always stood where I could see it best, around the marshall.
Mr. Tune Wrote:7 1/2 minute between pit stops with a tm? I must have a super fuel efficient tm. I can go 10-12 minutes on 1 tank.

Its not smart to run your tank that low... C'mon your not a newb!!!!! LOL!!! 7/12 is perfect that way the engine doesnt lean from the tank being empty and you dont get bubbles in your fuel line which could cause all sorts of problems...
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune
I survived 20 minutes with no over heating or flaming out just fine Smile. Done it many a times Smile.
Wow... my thread revived. I had a great pit guy for the trophy race. I should have been out earlier to see how long I could run on a tank though... I pitted when I didn't need too. Oh well... corrections for next time.
well on sunday i didnt have a pitman until a friend called and said that he wanted to check it out. he didnt have a clue what to do but i had to teach him real fast cause i was in the middle of a heat. He learned fast but the truck was giving us alot of problems. it was all good in the end because i got him hooked on the track now and he wants to run his brushless 18t there soon. it is kinda off topic but can he run the truck on the reg track or does he have to run on the 18th track if they make one? he'll only be practicing tho
John he'll be fine on the normal track....I was semi ok with my mini t and that was a slower truck.....
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
Good question John. My little brother also wants to know if he can bring his mini-t on there. I told him yeah if there isn't a lot of nitros on there otherwise he would get :owned:
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
be preparred to have the minis broken if you go on the big track. I'm sure they will get ran over (and through) on a regular basis. I've seen them out there during practice and the big boys are pretty rough with them. Actually it's hard to see those little buggers until your right on them.

Have at it, there is no rule saying you can't have them out there during practice.

A good pit man that knows what he's doing is vital. Sometimes that's how you win a race.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
yea tex thats why i didnt wanna pit you at a bigger race. im just not comfortable with cars other than buggies. somthing im gonna have to learn.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some basic Track tips thenewguy821 22 12,217 01-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Last Post: pwnzor
  st-r setup tips please.... denalistunna 2 1,219 04-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Last Post: denalistunna
  Any tips on getting the sirio .18 up to temp? t to the maxx2 8 1,712 11-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Tex