Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some basic Track tips
Mr.Tune, can we get a Sticky on this thread? Thanks

A few tips to make race day more enjoyable.

1. Know your Frequency and transponder number in advance. Occasionally, your frequency may change before a race, because of conflicts. Always check to see if you need to change channels before race time, and be sure to have your frequency clip.

2. Be prepared to Marshall. It’s not the best job at the track, but it has to be done. If you wreck and are out for the night, stick around for the next race, and Marshall. It’s only 5 more minutes.

3. On the Drivers stand, DO NOT LEAN OVER THE RAIL! There are other racers up there trying to see their cars too.

4. When pitting, pull the car/truck from the track. Blocking pit row can cause other people to lose their momentum. You wouldn’t want it to happen to you. In the event that your pit man is also marshalling, make sure he knows to pull your vehicle from the track to refuel, for his safety, and respect for other drivers.

5. Let the faster vehicle pass. Trying to block them from passing is not only rude, but usually results in both of you getting tied up, and crashing.

6. Remember, we are all here to have fun. Accidents do happen, hopefully they aren’t too serious.
Added by DirtDawgsRC:

Marshalling- Each racer is required to marshal after their race. Once you have completed your race. Remove your vehicle from the track, shut it and its radio off. Return your transponder, and report to a marshalling corner. There is only 3 minutes between each race and people will be out there right away warming up their vehicles and require marshalling.

Duties of a Marshal- To watch their particular area, do not watch the race going on at the other side of the track, this is for your safety. Correct the vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so. Let other vehicle pass by before correcting vehicle. Do not flip a vehicle over if driver is reving engine, Put your arms up in the air this signals to the driver to stop reving it. This again is for your safety.

Transponders (personal or tracks)

A transponder is the timing device that tracks your lap time and counts your number of laps raced. This needs to me mounted flat and as low as possible so that it will read when you cross the loop.

IFMAR Starts

This is how the qualifiers are ran. You are racing the clock, not the other drivers. Once you get your transponder mounting and vehicle on the track it is important that you cross the loop to register your vehicle (do this before race starts) Once the tone goes off, you are not on the clock, you are on the clock once you cross the loop (start finish line) after this then you have 5 minutes of racing. This is why on the result sheet you will see your time over 5 minutes. One thing to note, Once the first car crosses the loop you have until that car completes one lap to start your time. If he crosses it before you do your time starts after he completes his first lap.

TQ

Top qualifier yjis is the fastest lap time. This is how the mains are seperated by the top drivers in the A main so so forth down.
Added by Tex:

When marshalling, there are certain places you can grab vehicals to aid safety.

Grab Monster trucks by their front or rear bumper
(or look at the RC's you are marshaling and pick out a solid, safe spot to grab it, BEFORE you actually have to marshal it.)

Grab 1/8 buggies by the rear wing.

Never grab any Rc by the sides as it could burn you severly.

I grab tires (that's bad) and if I clearly see the exhaust is on the opposite side I'll flip RC's over from the side too. Be carefull though, and start off with grabbing the bumpers/wings first so you can get used to marshalling.

I grabbed an a-arm on a buggy once and the guy blipped the throttle. I had grabbed it where my fingers were touching the diff output cups. I might as well of stuffed my finger in a blender for a second. Cut me a little and mainly just bruised and battered my finger.

Always try to point the Rc forward when placing it back on the track (I even had a few probs with this last time) And if you feel your marshalling skills are tight you can even give the RC a little "toss" forward to give the racer momentum. keep the "toss" to a minimum until you get real comfortable with it.
Sticky it is...
Thanks

Hopefully this helps everyone.
we should also get with bernie and help make some track rules for mt racing or just racing in general. Im more then sure bernie will help us out do that.
Thanks gusy this is exactly what I was looking for and hopefully this will help all the noobs out there (like me) and add to the fun for everyone. I hope I can make it to the next race at LH. I have a fairly stock Savage so I won't be out there to take 1st but I love driving my truck so win or lose I'm sure I'll have fun. Quick question on Leisure hours I'm sure it was posted before so maybe someone can point it out for me I just would like to know the specific costs and things about Lesiour Hours so I know how much $$ to bring with when I can make it out?
It is $7 to practice, 10:30 - 4:30 ( I think that's the hours) $12 to race (6:00 - about 9:00)
If you are there for practice, and pay for that, the $7 is deducted from the $12. Hope this makes sense... lol

Basically it is $12 for all day (practice and race)
$7 just for practice
Cool, that's real reasonable. Thanks for the info. I thought I read somewhere that you had to buy a scented fuel or something like that because it's indoors?
--------------------------------
"Work hard! Play Hard!"
HPI Savage SS stock
+Ofna Servo Saver
AE RC18T RTR stock
+Trinity Micro Monster Motor
+Losi Mini-Smasher Tires
No... You will have to step outside occasionally, till you get used to it. Their vetilation isn't the best.
Cool I can handle that. Thanks. I've had some pretty nasty head rushes from fidgeting with my truck while it's running especially if you are on the pipe side...Smile so I think I'm up to it.
"Work hard! Play Hard!"
HPI Savage SS stock
+Ofna Servo Saver
AE RC18T RTR stock
+Trinity Micro Monster Motor
+Losi Mini-Smasher Tires
oh yeah you will get a buzz of nitro for sure. Turns out to be a higher nitro content than oxygen after a while. Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelz Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Wink
hey, I was just wondering what happens if your marshalling and a car/truck/buggy in your area dies or something breaks like an a-arm.
Get it off the track as fast as possible, but don't stray from your area. You never know when someone flips over while you are away from your spot because your taking a busted rc back to the pits. It wouldn't be fair to them. A pit guy will usually come out pretty quick to retreive a broken rc.
Mr. Tune Wrote:Get it off the track as fast as possible, but don't stray from your area. You never know when someone flips over while you are away from your spot because your taking a busted rc back to the pits. It wouldn't be fair to them. A pit guy will usually come out pretty quick to retreive a broken rc.

sounds good :headbang:
I only have a few tips;

Its better to go for your first time in the summer. The guy at Leisure told me the place is packed in the winter.

If you've never been to a track, as someone from here told me, "It's not like bashing around in the backyard is it?" Big Grin It's pretty difficult to make it around without going over the corrugated pipe, hitting a wall, or flipping. I can honestly say I need many more hours of practice before I'd be ready to race.

Get some ear plugs if you can't handle loud noise, it only takes a few buggys and a revo to make the volume go WAY up.
RobH Wrote:hey, I was just wondering what happens if your marshalling and a car/truck/buggy in your area dies or something breaks like an a-arm.

If it's nitro and it's not running anymore I just lay it down by my feet. If it's nitro and it's broke but still running using your gloved hand put your finger on the exhaust to kill it. GLOVED HAND. If it's electric I either find the off switch or I lay it down upside down near my feet. Someone can come and get it. It's not cool to leave the spot you are marshalling in because it's not fair to those still in the race.
Wild Willys (85) was my 1st real RC. After that I was hooked and within 2
years I had over 6 cars and trucks. I suffered from what some do now with the wife thing. She said I had to many and needed to rid myself of those stupid things so I sold them off for a very low sum of cash. Wish I still had mt RC 10 gold tub chassis with the new at the time stealth tranny. Thank god my wife now supports my hobby.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Gamer.
~Noto
:confused: Me too!!
:confused: Now I feel accepted.
obviously he posted in the wrong thread guys.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
thx for this....very helpful Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Village RC Track mikev 13 16,013 07-29-2013, 06:17 AM
Last Post: SHYCAGO
  Track Directory of Active Tracks??? mighty_EE 7 9,683 05-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Last Post: FastCompanyRCAutocross
  New track up in Griffith Indiana rcguy8038 8 6,767 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Last Post: rcguy8038
  Noobie looking for dirt track/bashing Z2_Cantilever 5 5,740 10-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Last Post: firesprink281
  New Rc Track Round Lake Beach zr2berger 0 3,200 11-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Last Post: zr2berger
  Introducing " The Scrap Yard " 1/5 scale track IN looker2756 7 9,254 10-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Last Post: looker2756
  carpet track near Strickly rc??? Jetboat 6 7,054 08-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Krosenqu
  New INDOOR RC TRACK in Elgin, IL DjSnugs 74 24,472 05-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Last Post: RaCeRx26
  Strictly RC Norridge IL - New Track chicagokenji 10 4,383 04-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  Track in Bartlett???? pitgirl 11 4,206 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Last Post: pitgirl