Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spektrum module “Shut down” issue
November 03, 2005
Service Announcement for Spektrum Module Users
Simple fix for module “Shut down” issue

A few of our customers are experiencing a “shut down” condition with their Spektrum module systems. A “shut down” can occur in a hard crash, or while running in a specific area of the track. It is characterized by a loss of power to the servos. To reactivate the system, it is necessary to turn the receiver off, and then back on again to resume normal operation. Shut downs are most prevalent when racing on carpet due to static electricity, however they can also occur on any surface during a hard crash.

This issue is not a related to DSM technology, but is a result of an improperly routed antenna inside the module, which causes a compromised link quality. If you’ve experienced a “shut down”, please return your module to Spektrum’s service center for quick repair, which involves installing a new, longer internal antenna wire with the correct routing. While this issue affects relatively few modules, you can easily check your module to determine if your system has the proper routing - refer to the instructions below.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We are committed to achieving perfect reliability and your total satisfaction with Spektrum products.

HOW TO CHECK YOUR MODULE

Using a Phillips screwdriver carefully remove the case from your module and examine the antenna connection to the board:

Correct

Note the antenna coax is routed under the main radio board.

Incorrect

The antenna coax is routed over the board in close proximity to power capacitors and IC’s compromising signal integrity. Please return to Spektrum for service. In the case of Futaba Hitec modules, a longer antenna wire will be needed.

Copyright © 2005 Horizon Hobby. All rights reserved.
The email address for your subscription is [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this email publication online visit: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Publications/unsubscribe.html
Please send any questions, comments, or concerns to [email protected]

Mailing Address:
Horizon Hobby, Inc.
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822

Obsessed F/X Custom Painted R/C Bodies
Thanks for the post.
Chip at Al's has resoldered both Lance's and my antennas back to the board. I couldn't even see where mine had ever been attached. A hard hit will cause the poor solder connection to break free some times.
Good post. I'm sure there going to be a bunch of spektrum guys checking for that now.
since there no more racing for a while im sending all my stuff in to be fixed/checked out. Its free and ive got a month before racing so no biggie.
[Image: mich1iy1.jpg]
Well, I sent mine back last week. Having the exact problem stated.

Hopefully I will have it back soon. As long as you still have the receipt, they will fix it no questions ask. This is my 2nd sent back for repair.
The antennae broke off on one of my receivers. What's the best way to get it fixed? Send it in, or go to Al's?
Kanai K3
Kanai K2
LSP-R project
bigjs Wrote:The antennae broke off on one of my receivers. What's the best way to get it fixed? Send it in, or go to Al's?

when my antenna ripped off, I sent it in. Took them a week after they received it to "check it in", then a month after sending it for me to get it back in my hands.
SOLD: BCE Pro X1-CRT Truggy, Dace Predator/Unlimited Engineering towered VBS Supermaxx
Current: Nitro Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4, Nitro Traxxas Slash
what did they charge you to fix it rob?
Kanai K3
Kanai K2
LSP-R project
bigjs Wrote:what did they charge you to fix it rob?

no.

I bought a second receiver in case I ever have to do that again though. They don't send you back your receiver, they send you back a refurbished one. You will have to rebind it.
SOLD: BCE Pro X1-CRT Truggy, Dace Predator/Unlimited Engineering towered VBS Supermaxx
Current: Nitro Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4, Nitro Traxxas Slash
they send you a 100% working reciever. Wether its your they fixed or somebody elses. Shouldnt really matter since it works.
so they don't charge you anything?
Kanai K3
Kanai K2
LSP-R project
Now I know why my Mayhem crashed the 1st time....

Does anybody have pics of the "revised" spektrum receiver?

It looks like you could take the antenna and insert it through the board from the OTHER side, that way it will not near the caps and ICs.

Here's pics of mine. Is it the 'bad' one?

[Image: spektrum_antenna_above_1.jpg]

[Image: spektrum_antenna_above_2.jpg]

[Image: spektrum_antenna_under_1.jpg]

[Image: spektrum_antenna_under_2.jpg]
Easiest thing is to go to Al's or resolder it yourself if you have the skills for very fine work.
Some of you might have mistaken. The Service Announcement is particular for the Module and not for receiver.
RobH Wrote:no.

I bought a second receiver in case I ever have to do that again though. They don't send you back your receiver, they send you back a refurbished one. You will have to rebind it.

really? I sent all my Rx's to them twice now and both times I got the same ones back. I know this for sure because I put velcro on the back and black marker on the front to mark the negative wire location on the Plugs. Both times I sent mine though were for software issues though and not anyhitng physically broken.
-- John --
1:1.. 01 Z28 Camaro A4 Sure.. its stock.
1:8's.. K3, Inferno GT, and a straight line beater car
1:18.. RC18t Mamba and 3s lipo
How is a hard crash going to affect the module in the radio?????????????/

I did the M8 antenna mod in mine and my antenna is not soldered it is attached to the board like a snap button.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL friend will help you move a body.
I relocated the antenna. Looking over the board, this location makes more sense because the trace/pad that feeds the antenna is on the component side of the board. I also put a peice of servo tape on top of that crystal to prevent this daughter board from moving.

[Image: spektrum_antenna_reloc.jpg]
cemeb4dk Wrote:How is a hard crash going to affect the module in the radio?????????????/

I did the M8 antenna mod in mine and my antenna is not soldered it is attached to the board like a snap button.

Many on the receivers didn't have enough slack in the antenna wire inside the case thus there was already tension on the solder joint. A hard crash that tugged on the antenna pulls the wire off of the board. It happened to me.
you missed what I said the module in the radio. You guys keep talking receivers, and the service message is on the radio module
A friend will help you move, but a REAL friend will help you move a body.
Whats the turn around from Horizon when sending in a Spektrum component? A week or two?
nm
the whole problem is with the module that goes onto your controller. The wire isnt routed correctly and it goes over the circuit board which can cause interference and actually confuse the spektrum system. They simply just have to reroute the antenna to go along the side of the case instead of over the circuit board and problem solved.
I guess I misunderstood you. Mine and Lance's problem was with the receiver antenna wire coming detached from the circuit board. We have the DX3 and so have no "module".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  spektrum set up with jammin? mk3117 9 1,687 11-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Last Post: mk3117
  Spektrum Telementery Module Obsessive R/C 13 3,485 03-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Last Post: PoPRC
  Spektrum discussion Blown5.0 85 11,404 01-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Last Post: bandit
  Spektrum Antenna mods... thenewguy821 1 877 01-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Last Post: RytM1
  JR Z1 w/Spektrum Blown5.0 6 1,447 01-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Mr. Tune