ChitownRC
Fish tank crew - Printable Version

+- ChitownRC (https://www.chitownrc.com)
+-- Forum: Open Forums (https://www.chitownrc.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.chitownrc.com/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: Fish tank crew (/thread-4488.html)

Fish tank crew - t to the maxx2 - 09-06-2006

I just set up my saltwater tank. 45 gallon tank. 40 pounds live rock(Because I didn't wanna spend too much money today). 1 $5.00 damsel.
I am cycling it now when I look at my options for later
Now for a quick pic I snapped
[Image: untitled2copyyk3.jpg]

Fish tank crew - UE-Maxx - 09-06-2006

Where's the damsel at? LOL

I always wanted to get a salt water tank.

Fish tank crew - Ponch - 09-06-2006

Cool.

Fish tank crew - Racin' Ranger1 - 09-06-2006

very sweet tank set up

he's in there somewhere. LOL

If this is your first salt tank that you will have fish in, I think it was a good idea to just buy one cheap fish until you get the hang of things. Definately wouldn't want to buy a 40-80 dollar fish and have him croak within a few days do to tank error.

Fish tank crew - rocco79 - 09-06-2006

My buddy just set up a 125 gallon with all types of fish and like 90+ pounds of live rock! The back of the tank is all drilled too so nuttin hangs over the back..

I thought r/c was an expensive hobby... Salt water is way more involving!

No, I have had a few tanks in the past. Wanna see my 65 gal with a 2-3 foot eel?

There is a pet shop a few blocks from me that specializes in "exotic" animals and fish. They have sting rays, eels, sharks. Don't really have a spot to put a big enough tank for salt.

Fish tank crew - Ponch - 09-06-2006

I wouldn't get a stingray...

My friend was going to buy one and name it Steve Irwin Jr. I proceeded to give him a deadleg

Fish tank crew - thenewguy821 - 09-06-2006

Now everyone is going to go overboard on how "Dangerous" stingrays are. There have only been 17 stingray attacks in recorded history, and most weren't fatal.

Stingrays in your tank are not dangerous. I don't think they are de-barbed (sp), but after a while they will realize you don't mean harm.

When I was in Florida this Summer, there was a kid that got stung by a ray. Nothing happened.

Fish tank crew - snakebite46 - 09-18-2006

Just picked up a used 24 gallon Nano cube from a friend of a friend at work. Got it dirt cheap with sand in it a piece of Coral in it. He also gave me 20 gallons of salt water.... Should I pour the water in andlet it cycle for a week or so before adding more live rock or fish ????

Fish tank crew - t to the maxx2 - 09-18-2006

SOunds great. Nanocubes are awesome. If you ever wanna get rid of it, let me know, I may want to buy it, I kinda want to set up a nano reef. LOL, JP, enjoy it.

Make sure you cycle it for about a week and half or more, then bring in a water sample to the fish store so they can test it before adding more fish.
Best of luck!

Fish tank crew - t to the maxx2 - 09-18-2006

Also, add about, as a rule, 1-2 lbs of liverock per gallon, I personally only have about a 1:1 ratio, but the more the better, it gives a biolgical, natural filter.

Thanks. My thoughts right now are to get some coral frags from E-bay or the petstore and maybe put in a couple of clown fish. Is there any fish I shouldnt mix with the clown fish that you might know of ?

I also wanted to mention that the previous owner installed "moon lighting". I thought that was pretty cool looking.

Fish tank crew - MX_KEVIN - 09-18-2006

Clown fish are pretty territorial with other clowns. I would sugest getting young tank raised (like 1 inh). Try to get the largest and smallest 1 each. Sex is not determind till their a little bigger and hopefully with a large and small youll end up with a mated pair. So far its working for me.
Or you could just buy a mated pair.
Whats funny about the tank raised is they at first didnt have any interest in the anemones in my tank. i was a little disapointed and was going to trade em in. A guy on reefcentral.com sugested I put up a picture of a clown in its anemones and the next day they had a home.
Thats my fish story for the daySmile