Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8/28 Tinley Park
Who's coming out to race next Sunday? I'm pretty sure Nexus will be there.
RCDad Wrote:Who's coming out to race next Sunday? I'm pretty sure Nexus will be there.

correct...i should be there.

Smile
Anthony_ISLA
I've got muh tent, muh chairs, I'm hooked up. Now if I can make it around the track half way decent I'll be a happy camper.

I'm hoping the Super RS4 is a little easier to handle. Got some new Nitro Shoes for the NTC3+ also.
What does Rosanne Rosannadanna say?

If it isn't one thing, it's another.

I have a full day 8/28 with contractors coming the next day to rip apart my house. I have to make sure we're ready and out of the way.

The outdoor seasons are quickly ending and somehow another Summer has slipped past. I plan to use this fall/winter to upgrade the Revo, getting it ready for next season, along with final tweaks on the road cars so we can make it to Tinley or DeKalb for 2006 racing.
getting cars ready consists of actual racing. It takes some track time to prepare race cars. Just a thought.

I didn't want you to "prepare" all winter just to end up disappointed because your rc's don't handle for poo on the track.

Another thing to think about is that practice makes perfect, prepping RC's at your house helps on race day for sure but it's not what places you on the podium. A good driver could get used to any setup/tires, a bad driver still can't drive no matter what car/setup.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Tex, good advice for sure.

Don't get me wrong. I don't plan to bench-race the cars, I just need to get them running better and setup for better handling and reliability, which I can do without taking a Sunday to go to a track just to be in the way. I do spend a fair amount of time driving our cars and truck so I do know when it's me and when it's the car that's not performing. Getting on a track surface will undoubtedly make the cars handle better than the lots we run on, so I'm confident that I can adjust to MORE traction easier than LESS (parking lot). Our 2 car family races have been major slide-fests with the tires and setups we had. I didn't want to invest in racing foams just to grind them off at WalMart! Now that I have tried them I can see that I will need to invest in more varied shores (and traction compound) to get the cars handling their best.

I am bummed that we didn't get more time this season to get setup and out to run on tracks. It always seems like something "more important" gets scheduled for the Sundays. We only get so many of these precious summers and when they are gone there's no getting them back.

I guess I can credit RCDad for lighting an OnRoad fire under me to get more serious about wanting to race the sedans. My son is dying (settle down George) to race the Revo, but after some park-layout racing this weekend I see he needs more wheel-time before we go out to take on the likes of you'all. As for upgrading the Revo, there are plenty of track tested upgrades that I see as must-haves to go faster than stock, not that stock is slow. But better tires, springs, and steering speed are definately in the plans before we hit any tracks.
I've been there and done that comparred to where you are in your hobby. 2 years ago I hadn't raced....ever.

Another huge thing about track time is it helps you get a feel for what breaks and what falls apart during normal races (without major crashing). A parking lot (where you go now) is a start but it's nothing comparred to the abuse a race track will dish out on your car. You will notice certain screws that like to back out and so fourth once you get some track time in.

I've been in your shoes, I preparred, preparred, and preparred more at home for a race and didn't even make it past the first heat! Track time is where it's at for being a reliable front runner. You could prepare for 1000 years at home/parking lots and it wouldn't equal the experience of one weekend at Tinley.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Again, more good points that I agree with 100%.

I do need to get on the track. I won't be there this weekend. I won't go there until I'm convinced I have a car will handle to my expectations. Track work will show what needs changing, but I won't go into it with a car I know I can't control well.

And, right now I don't even have a track shell prepped! My factory Viper and Acura are major hinderance to handling. I NEED to get the new shell on and see how the cars handle. Without the race body on, I'm wasting time to try to run on the track.

I'm hoping that we see some racing before winter, but if we don't, we'll be ready in the spring.
I've been thinking of looking for a few hundred small cones to setup a track in a parkinglot on off-race days. If I can make it around there without knocking down a cone it would be great practice.

In the winter we'll be able to race at Leisure right? I'm not sure what they have for on-road.
I have what you want!! My neighbor gave me a stack (prolly like 50) small orange plastic cones that are used as protective covers on sprinkler heads during installation of the systems. Before they turn on the system, they pull off these covers and toss them out. He saw us racing in the field and gave us a stack. I'm sure I can ask him for more. I'll let you know. The only drawback is they are very light and windy days will blow them around. I suppose you could weight them with ????.

Indoors racing....I don't own an electric sedan. I would consider an electric truck, maybe like an RC18T/MT
I was thinking they do indoor with nitro? I really don't know what there going to have out at Leisure. I know AJ's has both an indoor and outdoor track and as far as I know they run nitro indoor.
Then count me IN. I really don't want to get into electric because of all the batteries, and chargers and brushes and lathes or brushless costs. I am going to stay fuel if I can. My older son wants an RC18T, but it wouldn't get the goodies if we (he) buy one.
Yeah, I'm going to sell my Pede. I've got the Savage and am getting an MT2 soon, with the cars and all I just don't see me spending any time with it. I'd rather let the boys and my wife use the batteires.
RCDad Wrote:I was thinking they do indoor with nitro? I really don't know what there going to have out at Leisure. I know AJ's has both an indoor and outdoor track and as far as I know they run nitro indoor.

Dad, just looking at IRP site and I think indoor will be carpet-electric only.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
Irp?
RCDad Wrote:Irp?

Intense Raceway Park = AJ's.

And I don't think Leisure will have indoor on-road at all.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
I guess we'll have to get with indoor off-road then.
Yep, and I prolly would like that too, cuz we were gonna race-up the Revo anyway. I'm thinking a nice red and black paint job with a wing of some kind..........
I'm thinking the MT2 would be a nice little racer, not real tippy like a monster truck.
DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 Wrote:Yep, and I prolly would like that too, cuz we were gonna race-up the Revo anyway. I'm thinking a nice red and black paint job with a wing of some kind..........

What fool would paint their revo red and black and put a wing it? Big Grin :p:
Mr. Tune Wrote:What fool would paint their revo red and black and put a wing it? Big Grin :p:

But I'm gonna do it right and put the red in the back so everyone can kiss my red rear end!!

Seriously, we like all colors so who knows what the next shell will look like. It just won't be yellow like the one that came on it!!

And we'll see about a serious wing. Maybe. I'd rather get the wheels back on the ground and accelerate, not improve how far and well it flies.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
RCDad Wrote:I'm thinking the MT2 would be a nice little racer, not real tippy like a monster truck.

Yep, but you'll be racing in that stadium truck class against all those wicked truggy's. Tough company. You can always slam the suspension on your Savage to get it low and stable.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
You'll never race a MT2 against those. You will have to race the likes of the traxxas jato, losi xxx-nt, and other 1/10 scale stadium trucks.

Truggies (aka unlimited/arena trucks) are 1/8 scale w/ big block power.
DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 Wrote:And we'll see about a serious wing. Maybe. I'd rather get the wheels back on the ground and accelerate, not improve how far and well it flies.

The biggest plus about the wing is not the improved flight control it gives (which is minor IMO) but the huge safety factor it has.

Ever notice how the back of the body always gets mangled first and fast? Never will happen with a wing (unless the wing breaks off). You won't scratch up or bend the head on the motor. Acts as a wheelie bar.

It's ~$25 insurance. Can't beat that. Plus it looks cool. Smile
I know, I was just givin' ya grief. If wings didn't help, all those factory guys wouldn't have 'em.

It seems like your revo setup is working well for you so it must be well suited to your style of driving. The results speak for themselves. I hope we can budget the basic upgrades and get into the game before too long. I see better tires first, then the steering servo, then the body/wing.

BTW, just yesterday I took a long look at the tank oring on our revo and man is that thing tight! The tank lids goes POP when you pull on the handle. So it's weird that some trucks have issues, others do not. But then I recall some early revo's having bad diff gears, so sometimes it might be just bad parts from suppliers. All in all, we're totally staisfied with the revo so far. (Traxxas please send endorsement payments to: Dave........)
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Racing and Bashing every Sunday in Bedford Park gmkiller 6 3,184 10-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Last Post: grim digger
  Traxxas Mini Revo and Slash in stock at Hobbytown Orland Park HTUSAOPIL 0 1,679 06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Last Post: HTUSAOPIL
  Villa Park Revoguy22 3 1,427 04-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Whitey04
  Drag Racing in Tinley (May 20th) Brian_BigSquidRC 14 3,133 05-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Brian_BigSquidRC
  Intense Raceway Park now open for offroad... Nexus 22 4,646 05-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Last Post: DAVEC-NITRO-RS4
  9/25 Tinley's Final Race RCDad 64 9,624 09-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Last Post: RCDad
  9/11 Tinley Park RCDad 72 9,141 09-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Ponch
  Tinley Park - August 8th RCDad 39 5,057 08-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Last Post: RCDad
  Outdoor Skate Park Obsessive R/C 0 1,537 05-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Obsessive R/C
  Tinley Park RCDad 12 2,794 02-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Tex