Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mud racing... open discussion on rules etc
I started this over on RCC also so some may have seen it there.

yes I got bit by the bug... Lets setup some rules for the mud drags we have been talking about. Something to do when we dont have rocks but we can still use our trail trucks with...

What Im thinking:

trail class:

2.2 or 1.9 tires/rims
no paddle or paddle type tires allowed
full ladder frame
wheel base must fit inside stock body space
27t Brushed motor limit (27-100t nothing lower)
driveshafts
1 motor
1 esc
(essentially the same as we are talking for scale class)

Pro Mud
2.2 or 1.9 tires/rims (unlimited design)
13" WB
frame design open
no motor limit

Course design:
5' min length (unlimited max)
terrrain: mud or wet clay
course must be straight

judging
2 judges with stop watches
timed event
lowest judges time is accepted time (unless there is a judging mistake such as hitting button twice etc)
in the event a vehicle becomes stuck distance traveled will be measured
there will be 2 runs, 1 each dirrection.

Basically this gives us something else to do with our scalers and I added the promud class just for fun. I left in some limits in the promud class so that we dont have a bunch of stock e-maxxs showing up. I figure I know I can build a course at my farm (50' course long enough ) Bob will build a backyard course and I bet we could convince LHR to let us build 1 if we do the work.

Let me know what you guys think. This is an open discussion, nothing is set in stone.... Its already been suggested that it be a heads up racing versus timed.
I have been thinking about a drag strip.(pavment) but we don't have a long enough straight away and shut down. so maybe 1/8 mile drags. no one liked that idea. I'm now looking into dirt drags. 70 feet on clay silt.

Well on to mud drags. Do you guys want to race in the mud like the real ones? I don't know many people who would like their R C full of mud at lease not the 1/8th scale racers. Would this be inside or out? If inside could we use something other then mud? maybe foam pellet or something like that in a long box 5 inches deep.
Bubbacola... you need to hop over to the IL section on RCC, we have a 3 page long thread going on this... What we have been deciding on is a 10-20' long mud pit 2 lanes wide (5-6'). Outside would be REAL mud. We have discussed loose sand for indoors. What could even be more fun indoors would be vermiculite... that stuff is light and doesnt pack down. You would be suprissed what guys are willing to do with their trucks... Mnster was driving his across the bottom of Busse lake at the last comp. At the last SCRC gtg we were running a mud bog that got this all started (see pic below). Most of us that are setting this up will be running waterproof equipment and receivers in baloons or tupperware containers.

For leisure hrs interest, you could open up a monster truck class and everyone with their e-maxx and e-revo's with all those waterproof electronics would be out there trying their luck. There has even been mention of a slash class. Me personally I dont care for seeing a bunch of monster trucks out there, I would rather see home built rigs but, your going to bring in a larger crowd on a more regular basis if you open it up to monster trucks. Mud drags will bring in the bashers that arent normally into racing. The great thing about the mud drag racing is that you realy dont have allot of work or money into a course... You could add fancy timing etc but heads up, who ever crosses first wins is much better if you ask me. all you really need is a tiller, maybe some drain tile/ribbon to mark lanes and a hose. The worst part is prepping the track for runs... it took us half the day of playing to figure out the right consistance of mud to get the trucks having trouble.

Link to rcc discussion: Mud class for trail trucks???? - RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board

[Image: IMG_1976.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1979.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1984.jpg]

rules as they stand now:
trail class:

2.2 or 1.9 tires/rims
no paddle or paddle type tires allowed
full ladder frame
wheel base must fit inside stock body space
7cell /2s battery limit
driveshafts
1 motor
1 esc
Rear axle must be of straight axle configuration
(essentially the same as scale class)

Pro Mud:
2.2 or 1.9 tires/rims (unlimited design)
14" WB
frame design open
no motor limit
No battery limit
Rear axle must be of straight axle configuration

4wd monster truck:
Any factory produced “monster truck” allowed
Battery limited to 4s lipo/14 cell

2wd monster truck:
Any factory produced 2wd “truck”
2.2 sized tires
2s lipo/7 cell battery limit

Course design:
10' min length (unlimited max)
terrrain: mud
course must be straight

judging
2 judges
Xmas tree start (flagger can be substituted)
headsup racing, first to the finish wins
I saw a deal on tv one time, instead of mud, they used 100 boxes of instant mashed potatoes to run through, it was actually pretty cool.
"if guns cause crime, all of mine are defective" - Ted Nugent
stratcat... after seeing your rockcrawling this sport is rigt up your alley.
lets do it. i have some stuff i want to get dirty. and i am just about done with my clod let me know when and where i will be there
I Really want to do this also. $$ is my biggest problem. Not to bad for parts but the axles are a killer for me. I'll probably go wk again. Nice and stout.
LOVE AMERICA OR GET THE HELL OUT!
www.Suburbanchicagorockcrawlers.com
www.Keyknivesonline.com
www.rcslot.com
rc crawling headquarters and great customer support!
AddictedtoNITRO Wrote:I Really want to do this also. $$ is my biggest problem. Not to bad for parts but the axles are a killer for me. I'll probably go wk again. Nice and stout.

One word of advice.....get rubber sealed bearings like Boca or Traxxas.....trust meBig Grin

[Image: th_100_0288.jpg]
[Image: th_100_0296.jpg]
[Image: th_100_0297.jpg]
[Image: 100_0311.jpg]

Hey Jeff, how about a run whatcha brung class, maybe 2.2" wheels being teh only ruleCool
pro mud is kind of a "run what you brung" class. I limited it to solid rear axle to keep the monster trucks in their own class.

what I am liking... its already been asked over on RCC if we are playing in the mud at the LHR comp this Sunday.

here you go...mashed potato racing from x-games about 4mins in
Jetboat Wrote:pro mud is kind of a "run what you brung" class. I limited it to solid rear axle to keep the monster trucks in their own class.

what I am liking... its already been asked over on RCC if we are playing in the mud at the LHR comp this Sunday.

here you go...mashed potato racing from x-games YouTube - RC X Games - Inside RC #3 about 4mins in

that's exactly what it was! it was on a satellite program called "Inside RC" pretty cool stuff, obviously a promotional deal also.. but cool none the less, if it's still on my tivo I may see if I can burn them to dvd...

will I ever live the rock crawling freestyle event down? :joy:

(can I claim the "rock crawling freestyle champion 2008" in my signature? come on guys, can I? lol)
No and NO.... Maybe you should show up to an event and try your hand again... I hear LHR has a comp this weekend Big Grin

Hey Bernie... think you could build a small mud pit for Sunday??? Nothing fancy just like 3x4 or something... it gives the scalers at the comp something to play in and entertains everyone.
i wont be able to make it sat i would have to know a week inadvance to take a day off of work. please let me know next sat i will be off by 1 or 2. lets do it then so i can come.
Whats Saturday? The comp at LHR is Sunday.
is it? i thought it was sat cool i will try and get it off. some one said ther might be a mud pit too? if ther is i will haul azz to get the clod done
Jetboat,

right now, Sundays are pretty much off limits, I've gotta sleep during the day and it's the beginning of my week Sad

here shortly, depending what offers are made, I may be able to free up my weekends.... I'm hoping I can start making some of these.
stratcat Wrote:Jetboat,

right now, Sundays are pretty much off limits, I've gotta sleep during the day and it's the beginning of my week Sad

here shortly, depending what offers are made, I may be able to free up my weekends.... I'm hoping I can start making some of these.

now that it's winter. Butthead
jk
www.Keyknivesonline.com
www.rcslot.com
leisure needs to put this stuff in their newsletter. I just got it in email 2 days ago and It doesn't even have the crawler comp in it. Everything else.
They might get more people involved if they actually knew about it!
www.Keyknivesonline.com
www.rcslot.com
AddictedtoNITRO Wrote:now that it's winter. Butthead
jk

hey man, I can't help it... job offers are coming in and I'm going to take one of them I'm sure... lol one will free up weekends entirely, the other will put me rotating weekends off....
sprayin04 Wrote:is it? i thought it was sat cool i will try and get it off. some one said ther might be a mud pit too? if ther is i will haul azz to get the clod done

I will do my best to get a mud pit... Ill be there about 11 so there should be time to construct something if LHR lets us. If everyone brings there mud trucks with it would be a good way to convince them of the mud drag racing track.
so when does everyone want to get together?
we need a course first... The general idea was to get the ball rolling so people would have the winter to build their trucks. We discussed it with Bernie this weekend and he seems to be game to build a mud drag way in the spring. For this winter he is talking about some kind of foam pellet pit inside (could be interesting).

My pro-mud truck is under construction but I had to order a new inner frame for it... Im crossing my fingers to have it ready for Bobs rock comp.
i am just coming back to the rc game. I was into it about 5 years ago and have some trucks i am builldig. I would love to to some mud racing and crawling. but any ways where and when is bobs rock comp. thanks
Details on Bob's are over on RCC in the IL section... He is in South Elgin and the comp is on Nov 1. Im about 99% sure there will be some kind of mud racing or at least bogging going on. Entry fee is 1 rock (rock not pebble)
I have to make that event. Been craving mud since the water romp at busse.

1 rock entry fee, haha thats great.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looks like Busse Woods is open again. Thirdgen89GTA 1 13,819 01-21-2014, 04:30 AM
Last Post: magan
  Racing and Bashing every Sunday in Bedford Park gmkiller 6 3,182 10-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Last Post: grim digger
  corr racing firesprink281 8 2,789 08-23-2008, 05:51 AM
Last Post: firesprink281
  rock racing Jetboat 2 2,375 03-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Ponch
  Nice.. In case you missed it Pro-line Racing ROCKSTAR SBNFred 2 1,515 01-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Last Post: SBNFred
  18th racing 93 lx 6 2,283 03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Last Post: SixVi6-Camaro
  Anyone in the NW Suburbs want to to go LH for open practice on sunday? Thirdgen89GTA 14 3,082 08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Thirdgen89GTA
  30th racing cemeb4dk 91 12,048 07-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Tex
  D.D.'s racing 7/16 rocco79 8 1,903 07-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Last Post: rocco79
  Hobbytown PL Racing bossdog 6 2,009 06-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Last Post: bossdog