Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Backyard Offraod Track in Marengo
Well, here is a "track". What should we do with it?

also see, in case you have not looked there already:
Electric Backyard Offraod Track in Marengo, IL - R/C Tech Forums

Attached Files
.jpg   Track2008a.JPG (Size: 30.54 KB / Downloads: 138)
I say w bash it. LOL........................... I've got a XXXT and it will soon be running. This looks like a nice place to tune and test/pratice. I will be looking tp run here soon Bob.
It's there. Let me know.
It's there with JAGER BOMBS! Bombs Bombs Bombs!! errrr...yeah...
LSP lots of Khz, Werks .28 8 port.

Revo 2.5, TRX 3.3 Engine, Center Diff. Fast and Turns on a dime.
Damn 5:52? You mustuve started early as hell bud
Lol. That was saturday night but for some reason I had a random moment.
LSP lots of Khz, Werks .28 8 port.

Revo 2.5, TRX 3.3 Engine, Center Diff. Fast and Turns on a dime.
Id love to make my way over to ya! unfortunatly Ill be working the next 14 days so Ill catch up to you in 2 weeks! lol My trusty rusty would like to get some dirt time and we will see if the mini quake can get a lap or two under its belt.
Same 'ol Fun!
Rusty,

I know what you mean with work. I think I might actually be able to "not work" this Memorial Day weekend.

I would like to get out there with my shovel and start adding some elevation.

Drop by sometime and see if you think it can be made into a workable track. If it looks too small, I can just scoot further out into the field next year.

Best,
Bob
Hey there, looks good for electrics, when can this be used? How can we do this? I have a T4 that can use the run also a Evader Pro.
Thanks
:popcorn: I'd rather be Single on the weekends.
I am glad you asked. I am trying to figure this out along with everybody else. It is definitely for electrics only. I am sure as many times as I have said it is for electrics only, I will have someone show up with nitro and get PO'd at me, but that is one characteristic of the track that has been set in place -- electric.

Since nobody has showed up yet, there is no routine, so I am open to somebody posting here or PMing me and saying they would like to come out at a certain time. Since it is my backyard and I don't know you yet, it would be good if I had a heads up. We also have a T4 and could run it with yours.

One of the plans I would like is that eventually, there would be a few regular guys in the neighborhood who acted responsibly and helped me nurture the track and could be trusted to come and go as they wished, and then we might figure that Sunday morning standard racing hours would be established, maybe every 2-3 weeks if not enough interest for every single week. Maybe a weeknight schedule would prove more popular.

I would like to just say "racing is Sunday with doors open at 8am and racing starts at 10:30. Wednesday night from 5-9 is open practice." This might get folks into a certain frame of mind what to expect. But since we are just starting out, I don't want to give the impression that more than 1 person might show up at those designated times. I will ask here for some guidance on if/how I should describe the schedule and nature of this new racing program -- any suggestions?
I agree and fully understand, Ultimatley it is still your home so to have just any starnger show up would be definitley. I say you are on to something good as far as times go, having practice days and dedicated racedays, I am sure that it will catch on electric or no electric, I fully understand that it is electric and would abide by that rule. I would more than love to get out there I would say in 3 weeks or so with my electrics, of course I would not feel right just to walk up and start running my truck again the more the marrier, I have another good friend that I know would go up there with me, I live in Cary and he lives in Gilberts so were not too far away. Thanks for the info and I will contact you to see when I can get up there.
Whenever you are ready, bring however many friends you want with you. Let me know and stop by. Maybe we can get lucky and have a couple groups of folks show up on the same day.
Here are today's pictures from the Memorial Day Race at the backyard track. Well, OK, I just ran around on it myself. I have a driver's, er, uh, "stand" that helped out after it got over 24" high. Still looking at the next steps for a stand.

After the heavy rain last night, here was the dirt, still nicely moist, but not muddy and no pools. I put in a closeup of the dirt where I had driven over it. I might not have "the" tire yet, but I think a xxx4 with a MambaMax 5700 is probably too much for this track -- unless you love drifting.

pictures are:
1) looking east
2) looking southWest
3) Driver's View Left
4) Driver's View Right
5) Dirt, up close

Attached Files
.jpg   Dirt.jpg (Size: 31.6 KB / Downloads: 57)
.jpg   DriverViewRight.jpg (Size: 26 KB / Downloads: 40)
.jpg   DriverViewLeft.jpg (Size: 25.7 KB / Downloads: 48)
.jpg   LookSouthWest.jpg (Size: 26.81 KB / Downloads: 57)
.jpg   LookEast.jpg (Size: 25.71 KB / Downloads: 72)
I could use some feedback. I think it is time to make a better drivers area for the backyard track. I have looked at pallet rack, picnic tables, dirt mounds, trailers, etc. Then I came up with an idea that I have not seen done before, and I am ready to do it unless someone points out some major problem that I overlooked.

Railroad ties: 7" by 9" by 102". Lay down 2 ties like they are skis, conceptually in a 102" by 51" rectangle area. Take 2 other ties and cut them in half and lay them equally in a second layer, 90 degrees to the first layer. These firt 2 layers are using the 9" side for extra height. Finally, a third layer is 5 ties running the 102" length, parallel to the first ground layer, laying on their 9" side with 1.5 inches of gap between them. Overal, roughly a 4' by 8' by 2' box. Each of these units is 9 ties at $8 each from Menards, for $72, plus rods/bolts/etc to fasten them together. Up to 3 of these units could be built as needed and placed in line with each other. No railing or built-in steps are figured in. Any comments?
Wow, looks like you thought about it really good, Im all for it, Hey I am thinking of getting out there not this weekend but next, would that be ok with you?
Bob,

Just a crazy thought here, but the Aurora Hobbytown just closed, and they had a parking lot race setup that had a drivers stand trailer...maybe you could get your hands on it cheap?

Anyway, back to RR ties. I would think that even at 24" elevation you would want some fall protection railings, at a minimum on the back side, so no body steps off backwards...forwards wouldn't be so bad because it's right in front of you.

The idea of "cribbing" up to a deck height with RR ties would work, and the weight of them would make it sturdy and stable. Pallet racking or scaffold systems would have to be tied into the ground to make them stable at any height.

If you had a source for a good quantity of wooden pallets, I know we could design a system of interlocked pallets (think house of cards) that would get you 40" off the ground, but then you would need plywood decking and railings.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
Sounds fine. I will be at the Kid's Fun Fly in St.Charles on June 7th during the earlier hours -- kids fly the club trainer airplanes for free and (I think) 2 kids will win a complete airplane set. See foxvalleyaero.com. Maybe later on in the day or sometime early on Sunday.
In fact, I hope to buy some of the railroad ties and start building it this weekend.
I thought a stand is really one of the basics that a track must have. The scoring system is not in place. I imagine I would go with a human pressing some keys on a computer as the cars pass by (like the McHenry HobbyTown long ago), depending on how much interest develops.
Well than thats ok, How about you let me know when a good weekend is, usually every other weekend is good for me I do not have my girls those weekends. I cant wait to get out there. Thanks Bob
LW2005, I am looking forward to it.

I am going to StrictlyRC this Sunday to pit with ChicagoKenji. Maybe I can learn a bit about their lap counting system while I am there.

The railroad ties I bought at Menard's were really too far gone for my purpose. I need better ones or a different aproach.

I tried some J-Concepts "Goose Bumps" tires on the xxx4. Not too bad wet or dry. The rear of the car still slides around more than I would like. I need more low-speed steering and less high-speed steering.

Well, here is a picture from today. Track was a bit dry by now. After oodles of laps on a 6000mAh Lipo, the tips of the "Goose Bumps" had a pretty typical amount of wear from forward acceleration.

Attached Files
.jpg   31May2008b.JPG (Size: 28.2 KB / Downloads: 64)
bob, after i get my hyper7 built, i'd like to stop out. probably two weeks or so?
what about making the corners w/ berms, so you don't slide around as much?
We like corners with anti-berms (off-camber), so you slide around moreBig Grin. Is it an electric Hyper7?
yeah bob, it will be.. i started the buggy as a project, a LOOONG time ago..
last time I ran it was 2003 lol.
Current problem, is i bought a new diff case and diff on ebay, and they used RED loctite on the center drive cup's set screw to the pinion gear.. i got the set screw out, but have no idea how to get the cup off =\. prying has done no good, but broken flat head screwdrivers... any ideas?

here's an old pic of my buggy btw. people from maxxtraxx might remember it:
[Image: dualbl4mn9.jpg]
Nick,

The interesting thing is that my track is limited to electric vehicles due to noise reasons.

Best,
Bob
Bob... If I remember right, -nick is the guy who does all the electric conversions to things that were never meant to be electric LOL... So I'd guess if that's a pic from 03 that now there is a brushless/lipo setup in there.

-nick... Heat the sumbitch up! Bust out anything you have....lighter, mini torch, anything. Heat will help break down the loctite. Then pry like you are now.
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
Then that is 'extra' cool!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Village RC Track mikev 13 16,115 07-29-2013, 06:17 AM
Last Post: SHYCAGO
  Track Directory of Active Tracks??? mighty_EE 7 9,737 05-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Last Post: FastCompanyRCAutocross
  New track up in Griffith Indiana rcguy8038 8 6,840 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Last Post: rcguy8038
  Noobie looking for dirt track/bashing Z2_Cantilever 5 5,786 10-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Last Post: firesprink281
  New Rc Track Round Lake Beach zr2berger 0 3,217 11-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Last Post: zr2berger
  Introducing " The Scrap Yard " 1/5 scale track IN looker2756 7 9,312 10-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Last Post: looker2756
  carpet track near Strickly rc??? Jetboat 6 7,098 08-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Krosenqu
  New INDOOR RC TRACK in Elgin, IL DjSnugs 74 24,766 05-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Last Post: RaCeRx26
  Strictly RC Norridge IL - New Track chicagokenji 10 4,447 04-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  Track in Bartlett???? pitgirl 11 4,282 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Last Post: pitgirl