Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP concerning Pin Striping
Just started air brushing. Having problems seperating colors & schemes. I do not work well with a knife. Is there such thing as pin striping tape? THANKS
You can get narrow masking tape from Pactra or Parma. It's tough to get smooth curves with it inside a body, and your fingers get grease all over the clean insides.

Practice with the knife, it gets easier with time. It just never gets EASY.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
I have seen paint jobs with, it looks to me that black was sprayed on the outside edges of the design. I forgot to mention that i also do not work well with liquid mask. I work best with masking tape or paint mask. The smallest size tape that i can find is 1/8 in size.
I've got lots of 1/16" wide from Pactra. Part number MT116.

As for the black edge, are you meaning drop shadow under a graphic design to give it more depth?
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
if you are using liquid mask, you can put 2 exacto blades in a knife and bent one slightly. when you cut out the design leave the small strip, paint then remove the strip and there is your pin stripe.
10/8/1871- the great Chicago fire. Approximately 250 people were killed in the fire; 98,500 people were left homeless; 17,450 buildings were destroyed along with the original Emancipation Proclamation.
Chicago Local 281, protecting lives and property for over 100 years.
Lawn sprinklers save your grass, Fire sprinklers save your a$$
Or rubberband them to a popsicle stick. I've tried both ways...and they are hard to work around curves, but for straights they work ok. Harder to do well than just cutting two lines IMO.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
I think it is easier to just cut 2 lines as long as you take your time.

Dave I think they are say that they have seen the black used as an outline, muck like a free handed pinstripe. It's not really a pinstripe or drop shadow, but just an outline. To me the best way for that to look right is to not use black, as it is just too dark. The best way to use that effect is to use a color that is darker then the one you are useing for that section, so if the area was yellow, you would use a dark yellow, orange, etc, and if it was green you would use a dark green, blue, etc.

Also one of the thngs you would want to learn as a painter is how to pin stripe, even if you just use rattle cans, pin striping will make the paint job look better then one of the same thing with out them.

BTW you can use the tape to get pin stripes with no problems, it just might make the process a little longer then if you were useing LM. If you need to you can cut out each section little by little, but layer each masking section as to cover your cut lines (just take your time when pulling the tape up).
TEAM CFX RACING
Crop circles are Chuck Norris' way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie down. Confusedalute:
evil3 paint works<-- my site lol(AKA PyroMike, carbonmadness)