Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backyard Track Layout 2008
It won't be too long before spring is here and I must mark out an area in the farm field for the 2008 off-road track layout. In 2007, the track was close to my pine trees -- in 2008 I want to shift it over a bit so I can be more agressive on the weed control without killing trees.

Last year's layout with 8-foot lanes fit in an area 50 feet wide and 32 feet deep on the left and 42 feet deep on the right if you look at the attachment. There were no elevation changes -- I am not equipped at the moment for much building of jumps and elevation changes. I thought I made pretty good use of that space last year (many different turning angles, kink in the straight to make it a close call, so it was kind of fun), but I am trying to figure out a bigger layout for this year.

When I try to design a bigger layout, I get kind of lost -- I know there is the traditional back straight, but then all the rest of my design just gets kind of lost and without purpose. If anyone has some good layout suggestions, I would love to see them -- either rectangular area with pipes or even some grass infield.

Attached Files
.jpg   Drawing3.jpg (Size: 2.39 KB / Downloads: 234)
heres a very crude idea. if you build it let me know im right in belvidere. ill help ya break it in!Big Grin if the wife lets me out of her sights for a bit ill give ya a hand building it

[Image: track.jpg]
Same 'ol Fun!
I was playing with this shape which might be about 50 feet deep and maybe 120-140 wide. It looks better when I draw it freehand than on the computer. It is kind of my old layout stretched out and rounded off. By keeping it not too deep (~50'), I get a good balance of track and farmland, so the farm tractor has fewer odd corners to plant around.

One pet peave of mine is when you have a rectangular track and the drivers' stand is right up on the track and you have to lean a bit trying to look past the other drivers radios or bodies when you are off on the far sides of the track.

This would be mostly and undulating track (subtle rises, slight off-cambers & banks, some rough) more than a good elevation-changing track. The back straight is slightly reflexed on purpose. If I had equipment (shovel:eekSmile to make jumps, there might be a nice double right in front of the drivers' stand (where stand = the ground), but with it being flat-ish, I can more easily get the tractor-tiller out to freshen it up.

Attached Files
.jpg   Layout2008.JPG (Size: 10.82 KB / Downloads: 166)
I dont know if you race much but one good thing about just doing a track like that is you should be able to get an idea os a good dry dusty condition track and maybe some changes you could make to help improve traction. Just a thought. Looks good man
"I'm always amazed to hear of air crash victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?"
hey bob ken sciabaras here build it and i will come.... how u been....
Ken! Bring the kids too. I have been so confused. Racing used to be so simple. Maybe it still is. There are fewer tracks that I know of. I am not connected to the same racing crowd I used to be. There are so many racing choices/classes it makes my head hurt. I now have a family and am working like a dog. But, I love racing, so here it goes:

You remember Spud's racetrack -- I think my dirt is kind of like his, and I like they way he got the grass edges against his dirt.

Probably in April whenever the ground seems OK (and before the crops go in), I will go out there with the tiller and lay it out. I'm not sure if I should add in some salt for weed suppression -- any suggestions? I hit the track with Round-up last year, but the weeds were really strong and we had tons of rain, so it was a tough battle.

I might just have to go out and buy a port-john -- I think they sell for $300-$500 for basic ones. If anyone has leads on one, please let me know.

Location will be here:
25004 jackson road, marengo, il - Google Maps

If you look north of the green-roofed house, you see a burn pile sitting out in the field -- that will be burnt and then the southern edge of the track will be there, with the driver's area (can't call it a stand) will be just south of that. The east edge of the track will go over to the tree line. The west edge of the track will be an equal amount to the west, so that the driver's area is kind of in the middle of the width.
wow you are only 10-15 min from me! I love google maps, my community isnt even on the map yet! I had a house built right in the triangle of belvidere, logan and 20. serously if you need a hand building or breaking in give a holler!
Same 'ol Fun!
I know that triangle area. I go by there all the time. Is it across the street from Hick's Gas and near the new Sherwin Williams?

Well, I was doing some scale drawings last night on paper with a pen with a 140' wide by 50' deep version and I am not sure if it will look right in real life.

So I am thinking the first cut should be all flat and then give it a test run. If it needs a new shape somewhere, it would be easy to re-cut it. If the track is then good enough in 2-dimensions, maybe I could use advice and/or equipment and/or help adding some elevation. I noticed that the Grand Rental Station in Marengo will rent out a Dingo with its own trailer for $180 per day, if need be.

I had one racer inquire via PM whether this is a 1/8 nitro track. I must saySadit will have to focus exclusively on electric (1/10, 1/18, 1/8Wink) because of the noise limits pretty much.

So, Mr. Savage, I would start out with kind of low expectations first this spring -- a basic dirt track and a porta-john (hopefully), with extension cords from my house or barn, and a long hose going to the track, with some rakes and shovels sitting around for touch-ups. Then, I will listen to some advice (selectively, of course) and see what is worth doing next.

Breaking in will definitely need some help there.
no prob im just looking to get out. my decked out mini quake and rustler meed some wheelin time!
Same 'ol Fun!
I think something like this is kind of the idea I would like to go for:

HobbyAus - Indy Radio Control Off Road Circuit - Butterfly Farm, Windsor, NSW, Australia

I am a bit unsure about what to do for a driver's stand right now. I have been looking through ideas such as dirt mounds, trailers, catwalk and mezzanine pieces, overseas shipping/cargo containers. I know mostly they are build out of lumber -- I just hate to go get a building permit and have any chance for my property tax increases (beyond the other increases). Plus the lumber itself is not exactly cheap. I am open for ideas on the driver's stand -- we are talking about 1) good value and 2) don't make my property taxes go up.
pallet racks

http://www.sjf.com/rack/teardropupright.jpg

Used they are really cheap. they can be put up with a rubber mallet.

They'd store in very little space when not in use.
picnic tables?
Same 'ol Fun!
Now that (picnic tables) is a good one. You can pit and drive from the same spot. I was just recalling that the stand at MARCCA (Madison, WI) is only about 4' off the ground. Then I rememberthat Valley Farms raceway (from Cherry Valley in the old days) was even shorter.

I have been looking around for many ideas. I found some folks using those big wooden spools that you carry wire on. But I have to admit the picnic table idea is just funny and smart at the same time. In the meantime, I have been chasing down pallet rack info -- especially how to do the stairs, stair-gate, and rails. Hmmmm.... picnic tables.
simple and easy! two, two, two tools in one! lol
Same 'ol Fun!
I was out in the yard today. The mud is mostly firm with frost, and my burn pile is still unburnt. I was marking out corners and bondaries and felt that beyond a certain size track would get difficult to see and manage.

So I tweaked the layout from last year to be just a bit bigger (extending more out to the left) and then drew that out in the attahed picture, mostly to scale with 8 ft. lanes. Any better ideas are still welcomed.

Attached Files
.jpg   Drawing4.JPG (Size: 18.97 KB / Downloads: 203)
Heres my idea of a fun track. Green line is the start, red is finish line. Balls out drag race with a crossing in the middle. Either you go all out or you go home.

[Image: untitled.jpg]
[Image: mich1iy1.jpg]
we need ramps in the mid if we are goin all out! lol

looks good tho! if the race em rc thing goes through this will be a great place to test your stuff before leavin the house. looks like a good bbq and bash spot also!
Same 'ol Fun!
I have been hoping that something like race-em would crop up. Good luck to that effort.

I am still going to put in the backyard track, as it might be a bit rude to chop up my farmers soybeans after he puts them in. I think the track will work like this -- some local dad/kid combo's, who I know, have expressed interest in playing on it, although I personally like to emphasize racing over bashing, -- and I decided there should never be a fee, that way there can't ever be any kind of official complaint about the racing from a gov't point of view. That's all I know for now.
I actually found out my neighbor 2 doors down is just getting into rc with his kid. I just gave him a few batt packs to keep his stampede rollig. when your all set up id like to bring them by so they can get some dirt under their belt! If thats ok.
Same 'ol Fun!
Hey:
Don't have a nitro buggy as of yet. Future purchase. Probably would be a "half-eight" Kyosho. They are selling at amainhobbies.com rtr for $199. Yes, they are 1/16 scale, but that should suit your future track.
Keep motivated and spring is just around the corner. Got back into R/C after a 25 year layoff.
When you get started, I will gladly come out and meet and greet and put in some work.
TT Ducati 999R Nitro MotorcycleSmile
Kyosho Inferno GT "Ferrari"Big Grin
1/16 Kyosho Inferno 09 (half eight):eek:
1/10 Associated SCT (short course truck)Big Grin
2002 Corvette Convertible (silver of course)Rolleyes
The ELECTRIC track has been "marked off" on the ground (Still needs to be tilled up). After making some sizing adjustments, the ELECTRIC track has a shape like in the attached image. Only 70 feet left-right and 60 feet top-bottom. Roughly about 225 feet of running length on this ELECTRIC track.

I saw the idea in another thread to use a tarp for weed control. Has anybody tried that? I know I put a normal blue tarp over a mound of dirt once, but the weeds grew very well under it because it was not totally light-proof.

Attached Files
.jpg   track2.jpg (Size: 1.21 KB / Downloads: 1,458)
Im sure a bit of Nitro And Oil would control those pesky weeds. Smile
LSP lots of Khz, Werks .28 8 port.

Revo 2.5, TRX 3.3 Engine, Center Diff. Fast and Turns on a dime.
I know. Then my neighbors might want to get rid of the pesky noise.:confused: Anyway, it was great tilling weather yesterday, so I tilled up the track and put down a little bit of pipe (cut up some old pipe to protect my pine tree trunks, so I need to go out and buy more pipe). I am hoping to do trial runs on it next weekend. I finally got my job moved back to townCool, so I can actually keep up after the dirt. After living out of a hotel for the last 8 months, it is nice to be outside in the good weather.
I can't wait till its like 80 every day. Outdoor tracks are so nice.
LSP lots of Khz, Werks .28 8 port.

Revo 2.5, TRX 3.3 Engine, Center Diff. Fast and Turns on a dime.
New pic.

It has been run on once now (by me (geez, I'm rusty (or the xxx4 is not as good as a RC-10once was))).

There is some rock salt sitting out there waiting for some good rains.

If anyone wants to look into basic electric racing, let me know.

The dirt is slightly sandy. It seems to drain off pretty well after rains and not trun into a mud bog. Rock count is almost zero.

Attached Files
.jpg   DSCI0092A.JPG (Size: 30.54 KB / Downloads: 242)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Village RC Track mikev 13 16,016 07-29-2013, 06:17 AM
Last Post: SHYCAGO
  Track Directory of Active Tracks??? mighty_EE 7 9,684 05-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Last Post: FastCompanyRCAutocross
  New track up in Griffith Indiana rcguy8038 8 6,774 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Last Post: rcguy8038
  Noobie looking for dirt track/bashing Z2_Cantilever 5 5,740 10-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Last Post: firesprink281
  New Rc Track Round Lake Beach zr2berger 0 3,201 11-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Last Post: zr2berger
  Introducing " The Scrap Yard " 1/5 scale track IN looker2756 7 9,254 10-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Last Post: looker2756
  carpet track near Strickly rc??? Jetboat 6 7,054 08-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Krosenqu
  New INDOOR RC TRACK in Elgin, IL DjSnugs 74 24,478 05-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Last Post: RaCeRx26
  Strictly RC Norridge IL - New Track chicagokenji 10 4,385 04-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  Track in Bartlett???? pitgirl 11 4,209 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Last Post: pitgirl