Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to Chicago
I am hopefully getting a job on the Northside of Chicago, near Great Lakes. I am wondering where the rc tracks are and what/where are the local hobby shops?

I search the forums and didnt see this info any where...
sup dude, there is leisure hours in joliet and there are a few tracks in southern wisc, not sure where tho cause that is a haul for me, rockpile and nitro farm i think are fairly close to there (within a hour or so).

GS RACING, TQ FUEL, FASTLANE GRAPHIX, CZECH-IT-OUT
where you moving to? Im moving to the lakeview area at belmont and southport on sunday.
If at first you dont succeed, suck another seed!:crazy:

I talk to Jesus, he cuts my grass!
you are on truggyracers too arent you?

I saw the place in joliet, looks awesome...

chickenfarmer3 Wrote:sup dude, there is leisure hours in joliet and there are a few tracks in southern wisc, not sure where tho cause that is a haul for me, rockpile and nitro farm i think are fairly close to there (within a hour or so).
yup thats me and LH is nice, pro series there this weekend. :joy:

I am hoping to get these IT job with the Navy at Great Lakes, I am not sure where we are going to live. Of course, the wife doesn't know I am trying to get close to a track. HAHA

Hoobajoob Wrote:where you moving to? Im moving to the lakeview area at belmont and southport on sunday.
lol...what she dont know wont hurt....lol, i am sure some of the guys from farther up north than me will chime in.

Great lakes is about 1 hour to ANY track but you'll have your pick of tracks (like 3)

Do you race offroad?
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
yea he does (I know him from truggyracers too) he's got a Mugen MBX5T and hey it'll be fun to see you maybe at indoor at leisure
Kona Kustom Decals
Pro Twister Mods
Belmont and Southport? Interesting neighborhood..:puke:
NickGT Wrote:Belmont and Southport? Interesting neighborhood..:puke:

hehehehehehehe :eek:
Revo - 2.5R conv to 3.3 spec (sans motor), picco 26 max that shreds spurs, RC10B4 Factory Team - Mamba Max 5700, Team Orion lipo. Breaking A-arms everyday!
RC10 Championship Edition - retired, bought in '90 with paper route money (I'm old school!)
NickGT Wrote:Belmont and Southport? Interesting neighborhood..:puke:

Better than Wrigleyville!
8ight | Mini-T | CEN Boat | Stampede | JR R-1

ALL RC STUFF FOR SALE. PM FOR DETAILS.
I race my MBX5T and a FT TC5 touring....

Tex Wrote:Great lakes is about 1 hour to ANY track but you'll have your pick of tracks (like 3)

Do you race offroad?
The wife is looking at waterford in WISC.

I am still shooting for somewhere between Joliet and Great lakes.

Whats wrong with Belmont or Southport.

Any other info on the area would be great. Any goo places to live or not live. I would appreciate it.
bretzkej Wrote:The wife is looking at waterford in WISC.

I am still shooting for somewhere between Joliet and Great lakes.

Whats wrong with Belmont or Southport.

Any other info on the area would be great. Any goo places to live or not live. I would appreciate it.

Nothing... everyone here seems to think the entire northside is gayville (boystown)Boystown is south east part of lakeview, wrigleyville is northeast part of lakeview.I live on southport and roscoe (yes im on the corner next to starbucks,yuck) aka southport corridor, west part of lakeview. There is alot of nice places to eat and drink and its less crowded than over on clark, addison or belmont but nice cause your walking distace from those busy streets where there are TONS of shopping drinking and food. The north side of chicago is nice but can be very expensive. not sure where your coming from but the best way to explain chicagoland is its all hit or miss as far as one town to the next. Born in joliet and it used to be not too bad ,now i think its going to chit. If i was to move there id stay towards the west part towards plainfield. Lived in Plainfield, Its too freaking crowded and expensive for a suburb. Lived in Aurora/naperville area (by the mall) wasnt too bad kindof a mixed crowd but has its expensive areas (naperville) and crappy areas (aurora) but alot of descent entertainment and food. Lived in glendale heights, was kinda expensive but alot to do. mixed area hit or miss as far as good bad area,and by bad its moslty spoiled kids who parents have too much money so they feel the need to be gangsta. Oh and then theres those UTI kids running around LOL!(i was one) Lived in Midlothian its ok close to orland(nice,expensive) but close to crap areas.Also lived in Morris and bloomington/nomal but bloominton not whre your looking. Morris is a nice small town 10 min west of joliet. Nice quiet town but not much going on. Its clean and not to expensive yet.If i was old and married i wouldnt mind living there but it just a little to quiet for me being 25 and single. I dont know what else to explain...I guess travel to work would be something you would have to keep in mind.Even though i live in chicago but work in joliet (CIT) during the week i head out of the city on I55 in the morning while everyone is heading in to go to work so i miss most of the traffic in the morning (1h 20min drive max) and going home at 3:30 its the same( 1hr), everyone is coming out and im going in.Weekends i work in the city (Excalibur/Visions) and i dont drive i take the El or cab. Weekends in the city are crowded and suck to drive.
If at first you dont succeed, suck another seed!:crazy:

I talk to Jesus, he cuts my grass!
There are a tone of nice places to live near Great Lakes man you can look into Grayslake, Gurnee, SOME parts of Waulkegan (sp) those would be the closest places with out haveing to drive a little ways. If you did live in any one of those towns you wouldn't have that bad of a drive just have to jump onto the express way and shoot down to 55 and take that into Joliet. I did it for a while and it was a super nice drive and very little traffic on a Sunday. As far as other tracks there is one that someone else might remember the name of that is in Milwaukee the one that Scotty Ernst owns that hase a indoor carpet track and I think they run offroad in the summer.
"I'm always amazed to hear of air crash victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?"
Dave ya just need to move south of Morris to my town, the sticks ya know!! :p:

Good to see ya getting a little closer to LHR Ben!! Good luck on the move! Big Grin

Matt:headbang:
GIT-R-DONE racin team
bubbaracing(hillbilly deluxe)stratcat(long haired hillbilly)Addicted to Nitro(Redneck#2)
Hoobajoob(Greek hillbilly!)Racin' Ranger1(Lil' hillbilly)
I appreciate the info....
I am 33 married with two kids so I need a safe area with single family homes and as close as possible to the track LOL

Hoobajoob Wrote:Nothing... everyone here seems to think the entire northside is gayville (boystown)Boystown is south east part of lakeview, wrigleyville is northeast part of lakeview.I live on southport and roscoe (yes im on the corner next to starbucks,yuck) aka southport corridor, west part of lakeview. There is alot of nice places to eat and drink and its less crowded than over on clark, addison or belmont but nice cause your walking distace from those busy streets where there are TONS of shopping drinking and food. The north side of chicago is nice but can be very expensive. not sure where your coming from but the best way to explain chicagoland is its all hit or miss as far as one town to the next. Born in joliet and it used to be not too bad ,now i think its going to chit. If i was to move there id stay towards the west part towards plainfield. Lived in Plainfield, Its too freaking crowded and expensive for a suburb. Lived in Aurora/naperville area (by the mall) wasnt too bad kindof a mixed crowd but has its expensive areas (naperville) and crappy areas (aurora) but alot of descent entertainment and food. Lived in glendale heights, was kinda expensive but alot to do. mixed area hit or miss as far as good bad area,and by bad its moslty spoiled kids who parents have too much money so they feel the need to be gangsta. Oh and then theres those UTI kids running around LOL!(i was one) Lived in Midlothian its ok close to orland(nice,expensive) but close to crap areas.Also lived in Morris and bloomington/nomal but bloominton not whre your looking. Morris is a nice small town 10 min west of joliet. Nice quiet town but not much going on. Its clean and not to expensive yet.If i was old and married i wouldnt mind living there but it just a little to quiet for me being 25 and single. I dont know what else to explain...I guess travel to work would be something you would have to keep in mind.Even though i live in chicago but work in joliet (CIT) during the week i head out of the city on I55 in the morning while everyone is heading in to go to work so i miss most of the traffic in the morning (1h 20min drive max) and going home at 3:30 its the same( 1hr), everyone is coming out and im going in.Weekends i work in the city (Excalibur/Visions) and i dont drive i take the El or cab. Weekends in the city are crowded and suck to drive.
Toughtrax Wrote:There are a tone of nice places to live near Great Lakes man you can look into Grayslake, Gurnee, SOME parts of Waulkegan (sp) those would be the closest places with out haveing to drive a little ways. If you did live in any one of those towns you wouldn't have that bad of a drive just have to jump onto the express way and shoot down to 55 and take that into Joliet. I did it for a while and it was a super nice drive and very little traffic on a Sunday. As far as other tracks there is one that someone else might remember the name of that is in Milwaukee the one that Scotty Ernst owns that hase a indoor carpet track and I think they run offroad in the summer.

trackside?
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carpet Oval racing Chicago area? Tmangold 1 3,534 10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bubbaracing
  Chicago Racing Blog chicagokenji 0 2,389 08-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  Underground RC Chicago chicagokenji 41 12,503 04-14-2009, 08:14 AM
  Easter Sunday 2009 Chicago Racing chicagokenji 0 1,775 04-09-2009, 06:48 AM
  Race for Free with Your Truck - Chicago chicagokenji 5 2,932 02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
  Chicago Area Electric RC Racing chicagokenji 0 5,427 11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
  new chicago rc forum page eraser 13 3,841 10-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Last Post: DAVEC-NITRO-RS4
  Where is the best (safest) place to drive R/C in Chicago? starguard 11 4,043 07-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Last Post: maxximum_44
  I Need Help Building Track in Chicago ChgoSlingshot 7 3,820 11-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Last Post: chickenfarmer3
  Underground RC Chicago Nov. 4th Racing chicagokenji 1 2,345 11-05-2007, 11:02 AM