Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late for Work?
http://msn.careerbuilder.com/custom/msn/...51139-RK-4

10 Craziest Excuses for Being Late

By Rosemary Haefner, Vice President of Human Resources for CareerBuilder.com

It's been one of those mornings. You overslept, spilled coffee on your shirt, the kids wouldn't wake up, and you left your gym bag at home. Late for work and need an excuse? You're not alone.

Sixteen percent of workers say they arrive late to work at least once a week, according to a recent CareerBuilder.com survey. One-in-four of all workers (25 percent) admit to making up phony excuses to explain their tardiness.

Reasons for coming in late varied from forgetting something at home to feeling sick to enduring a long commute. Thirty-one percent of workers attributed their unpunctuality to traffic, 16 percent blamed falling back asleep and 8 percent cited getting their kids ready for school or day care as the main cause.

Here are the top 10 examples of the most unusual excuses employees offered their managers for arriving late to work:

1. Someone was following me, and I drove all around town trying to lose them.
2. My dog dialed 911, and the police wanted to question me about what "really" happened.
3. My girlfriend got mad and destroyed all of my undergarments.
4. I woke up and thought I was temporarily deaf.
5. I just wasn't "feelin' it" this morning.
6. I was up all night arguing with God.
7. A raccoon stole my work shoe off my porch.
8. I super-glued my eye thinking it was contact solution.
9. I was putting lotion on my face when my finger went up my nose causing a nose bleed.
10. A prostitute climbed into my car at a stop light, and I was afraid my wife would see her and think I was messing around... so I got out of the car.

As explanations vary, so do men and women when it comes to being late for work. Males are less prone to tardiness with 41 percent saying they've never been late for work in their current position compared to 37 percent of females. Men are also less likely to lie about why they're late (22 percent) -- while 28 percent of women won't tell a fib, either.

Most of us make up excuses in fear of repercussions. Forty-four percent of hiring managers say they don't care if their employees are late as long as their work is completed on time and with good quality -- but others aren't so lenient. In fact, one-in-five hiring managers say they would consider firing an employee if he/she arrives late two or three times in a given year. The key is to know your individual manager's expectations and take the time to learn your employer's culture and policies.

Think you're being sly with the excuse you gave your boss? Guess again. While the majority of hiring managers don't typically question the validity of the reasons provided, 27 percent say most of the time, they don't believe the excuses.

Rosemary Haefner is the Vice President of Human Resources for CareerBuilder.com. She is an expert in recruitment trends and tactics, job seeker behavior, workplace issues, employee attitudes and HR initiatives.
advertisement
used it....
I just wasn't "feelin' it" this morning...used it

had them happen,...
I was putting lotion on my face when my finger went up my nose causing a nose bleed
A raccoon stole my work shoe off my porch......well wasnt sure it was a raccoon but something took it across the yard and i didnt find it till i cut the grass later that week.....
If at first you dont succeed, suck another seed!:crazy:

I talk to Jesus, he cuts my grass!
Anybody try the Superglue one yet?
well havent used any of those. usually just tell them i had car problems. that is trouble getting into the car. the best one I heard at work was guy said he was making his lunch opened the frezzer and a frozen ham fell on his foot causing much pain.
Carbo Wrote:the best one I heard at work was guy said he was making his lunch opened the frezzer and a frozen ham fell on his foot causing much pain.

Actually, I can see that happening! Musta hurt like hellSad
Looks like my boss falls in with the 44%. I'm never on time and I've been there for 10 years! Good thing I can get all my work done everyday.
i bet if u quit blowing him he'd notice how late u were every day Smile LOL
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
I don't have a timeclock, so I cannot be "late for work", but the downside is that I don't know when to go home or stop working either :mad:
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
I once reported having projectile lepruosy
You're never to old to be immature
mikeh Wrote:I once reported having projectile lepruosy

WOW, I'd love to see the look on the face of the person you told that!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The i hate the shift i work thread cheesecake 15 3,631 01-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Last Post: AddictedtoNITRO
  My new line of work! Wing Stop! mikeh 42 6,275 01-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Last Post: rocco79
  im bored at work cheesecake 6 1,520 08-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Last Post: cheesecake
  Going to be entering a new line of work Obsessive R/C 59 7,533 07-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Last Post: squirrel
  for people who work in an office 4wheelinrevo 6 1,963 05-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Last Post: nitrodude
  student work at studentswork 1 1,183 03-18-2007, 03:14 AM
Last Post: firesprink281
  I need some auto body work done chicagokenji 2 1,004 12-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  Well, I'm here at work and it sucsk. Post your snow stories! Thirdgen89GTA 15 2,280 12-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Racin' Ranger1
  40 Things You'd Love To Say Out Loud At Work.... Racin' Ranger1 14 2,856 06-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Last Post: olds97_lss
  A little photoshop work, (Im a newb to ps, gimme a break) t to the maxx2 35 4,881 12-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Last Post: PoPRC