Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
engine break in
mach 427 engine break in

the manual says its ok to put the truck up against a wall and let it idle for 2 tanks and your done with the break in. I was reading thru some other posts and some of you said it wasnt good to just let it idle. any suggestions or should i just follow the manual. they also show other ways to break it in
I would idle for one or two tanks like it said, probably keep the wheels off the ground so if you have to you can blip the throttle. Then take it slow for the next few tanks.
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
idle the first one or two then run 3-4 tanks rich at 1/4 throttle then 1/2 throttle for another 3-4 tanks rich then you should be close and can get it leaned out a little more keep it on the rich side for a half gallon or so
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
this here is what i do for break in, and the results are awsome. a lttle time consuming though.

---> fire up the motor, and let it idle in 2-3 minute intervals. make sure the temp gets up to 190-200*. after the first 2 min, shut it off and let it cool down to about 100*( MAKE SURE THE PISTON IS AT BDC DURING THE COOLDOWN) after the cooldown, start it up again and let it idle again for 2-3 minutes. repeat this for 2 tanks.

---> fire up the motor, and drive it around at 1/4 throttle. making sure you vary the throttle a little.( 1/4 for a few seconds then let go, 1/4 for a few seconds, then let go, etc.) do this for 2-3 tanks

----> start up the motor, and run it at 1/2 throttle. making sure once again you change up the throttle a bit, but DONT GO VER 1/2 do this again for 2-3 tanks

----> again start the motor, and run it at 3/4 throttle. agian making sure you vary the throttle again but not going over 3/4. 2-3 tanks

---> finaly, start it, and drive the car varying your throttle from idle-WOT(wide open throttle) do not hold WOT open for more than a few seconds. do this for 1-2 tanks.

you can start to tune after the WOT runs. personally, i shut the engine off and let it cool down to about 100* in between tanks. still making sure the piston is always at BDC when cooling.

this is the break in procedure i have used since day 1, and i have gotten superior performance out of every motor that was broken in using this method.
yeah idle for the first tank or two....but keep it on the box, so if the wheels do spin a little then your not putting strain on your engine, but try to get it to idle to where the wheels are not spinning or spin very little
Losi 8ight with v-spec[SIZE="4"]
[/SIZE]
Just do it how Czech does, his always last a while, or until he sells 'em. Wink
8ight | Mini-T | CEN Boat | Stampede | JR R-1

ALL RC STUFF FOR SALE. PM FOR DETAILS.
just drive it and be really slow at first, just 1/4th throttle for first 2 tanks. WHen you get to the 3-4 tank go to half throttle with full throttle blips. 5-6th tank is full throttle running but dont keep pinned for more then a few seconds. After that drive it as normal
[Image: mich1iy1.jpg]
fire it up and run it! race tune that b!tch Wink
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
ok chad^^^
[/SIZE]
Just to confuse things a little more (and to go against everything you think you know about breaking in a nitro mill).

http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/break-in/index.php
TEAM CFX RACING
Crop circles are Chuck Norris' way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie down. Confusedalute:
evil3 paint works<-- my site lol(AKA PyroMike, carbonmadness)
Here's how I break in a motor.

Set it rich and wrap aluminum foil around the head to help keep it warm. Temp should never drop below 200*. Drive it slow for 3 tanks with no breaks, then race tune!
I do the foil thing too..
But I drive it 1st tank slow blips 200 degrees
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune
:confused:
Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:idle the first one or two then run 3-4 tanks rich at 1/4 throttle then 1/2 throttle for another 3-4 tanks rich then you should be close and can get it leaned out a little more keep it on the rich side for a half gallon or so

Is that for all engines or just one specific engine type?

Thanks.
I think thats pretty safe for any engine Lynn.

Excessive too IMO , but its better to be safe then sorry!
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune
well i idle the first tank, then for the 2 and 3 tank i get up to 1/4 throttle, then 4 and 5 up to 1/2 throttle, 6 tank i get up to 3/4 throttle, 7 tank get up to full and let off immediatley, 8 and 9 run rich on track any slowly race tune.

all keeping engine above 200 and below 230, i use tin foil and a sock and one of my engines I have a little over 6 gallons though and when its in the car it still cannot be turned over by hand. still runs strong and fires up right away.

about what the CEFX guy said i dont agrre where he says to hold throttle open full, of the ground, and richen till it dies. that revving may be too much as it will stretch the rod very quickly
[/SIZE]
without looking at the link, is that the josh cyrul breakin method? Ive heard about it before and im sure it works but much more can go wrong if u do it wrong lol
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:without looking at the link, is that the josh cyrul breakin method? Ive heard about it before and im sure it works but much more can go wrong if u do it wrong lol

It's the "lets give it full throttle for tanks 1-5" or whatever.
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:without looking at the link, is that the josh cyrul breakin method? Ive heard about it before and im sure it works but much more can go wrong if u do it wrong lol
yep
TEAM CFX RACING
Crop circles are Chuck Norris' way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie down. Confusedalute:
evil3 paint works<-- my site lol(AKA PyroMike, carbonmadness)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trx 3.3 engine problem help please? gregk20 1 2,730 08-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Traxxas_Junkee
  question about a vspec engine eraser 83 12,952 02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Last Post: J-Dub
  Cold weather engine tune rcrunr1 5 2,538 01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
  cleaning engine internals AddictedtoNITRO 26 6,488 12-26-2007, 01:25 AM
  Comprehensive engine dyno results mikeh 14 17,290 10-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Czech-it-Out Graphics