Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Runaway with spektrum?
This past sunday my buggy decided to take off and hit a curb. Needless to say I had about 8 broken parts from it. C-hub, cvd, bumper, a-arm and a bent hinge pin among other things. So what happened? The built in fail safe in the spektrum used to work just fine.

Once I had it at home I figured it out. Upon signal loss, instead of going full brake like its supposed too, it went full throttle! When I realized this, a few choice words escaped my mouth that I can't repeat here. I went through the binding process again and got that problem fixed, but this problem shouldn't have existed in the first place. When I originally bound the system it worked perfectly. So why did it change?

Anyway, I have some parts on order and hopefully will have it back up and running this weekend.
Originally Posted by Gforce
Quote:I did it cuz the chicks dig it!
Don't forget the fail safe only works if the Rx still has power. If the car looses power from either a dead battery or open circuit, your carb return spring or rubber band needs to pull throttle shut manually.
Other than that, Ive never had the Rx need a rebind.

MBX5T - O.S.
MBX5R - Novarossi
Nomadio
I was having a problem with Spektrum system myself. I was lucky running full th. with my BAJA 5B, had I think a glich interferance problem at a fairly short distance in a parking lot at Bussie Woods. My fail-safe did kick in. Then I gained cotrol. Still leaves me with an Uneasy feeling!!!
Bad1: I remember you telling me about that.

Mine was fairly short distance too. The rx did have power. My battery is a 2500 Mah pack so it should be good. It still had considerable charge when I got home. The throttle return spring was also installed. There would have to be power for it to go full throttle on its own when it lost signal.

When I tested it it with the engine off, I turned off the tx and watched as the the throttle servo opened the carb all the way. When I turned the radio back on it closed the carb to idle setting. Once I re-bound it it was fine. the question is why?
I never had a probem with FM, for some reason just don't like the intena. I hope the problem is not because of the HPI LED light system with Volt meter that i instaled.
Gforce Wrote:Bad1: I remember you telling me about that.

Mine was fairly short distance too. The rx did have power. My battery is a 2500 Mah pack so it should be good. It still had considerable charge when I got home. The throttle return spring was also installed. There would have to be power for it to go full throttle on its own when it lost signal.

When I tested it it with the engine off, I turned off the tx and watched as the the throttle servo opened the carb all the way. When I turned the radio back on it closed the carb to idle setting. Once I re-bound it it was fine. the question is why?

Just because the pack was charged does NOT necessarily mean that it will not lose power. I've been having problems with spektrum the past week or two, I found out that the connection between the battery pack and switch was loose. And then you get to look thru all wires for splits.
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
Same thing happened at one of the Berwyn Bashes...Blackwolf42, wasn't it???

wicked wreck into a square curb at full throttle

WHAMMO
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
runaways are the absolute worst part of this hobby. hands down. I totaly decintigrated a buggy because of it. I think the motor might be done too. my stupid battery pack came apart. fail safe won't help there
LOVE AMERICA OR GET THE HELL OUT!
www.Suburbanchicagorockcrawlers.com
www.Keyknivesonline.com
www.rcslot.com
rc crawling headquarters and great customer support!
One thing is not to use full brake on fail safe---if you ever forget to shut off the radio, you could burn out the servo---ask Slim about that.
There have been a few times I forgot to turn off mine, I am gald I did neutral fail safe.
Return springs will help as well but keeping up on your batteries is good insurance IMO.
Anytime you loose power, the last thing you did it will continue on doing so.
I had this with my daughters on road---rx pack went dead and there went $75 into repairs even with a return spring.
Life is like Beavers, One Damn thing after another- Unknown
If your not breakin parts your not going fast enough-Biodragen

NTC3 RTR assoc .15
NTC3 OS .18

Losi 8T, JR8611a ST servo, Futaba 9350 Th\Brk Servo, RB-C6BB Motor and Novarossi 528XR.
good point bio. never thought of that
LOVE AMERICA OR GET THE HELL OUT!
www.Suburbanchicagorockcrawlers.com
www.Keyknivesonline.com
www.rcslot.com
rc crawling headquarters and great customer support!
I had done full brake when I first went DSM. We would all think alike as to why it would be logical in doing so.
It was over a year ago when I was at newberrys when slim had forgot to turn off his ride and the servo was locked and burned out.
He was the one who suggested to me to do neutral. Now it is a done deal for me.

As for the return spring---another food for thought.
If you have a torqish servo---the spring may not be strong enough to pull it all the way back to close.

So the best bet is neutral fail safe(applies to all F/S) and charged batteries.

NTC3 RTR assoc .15
NTC3 OS .18

Losi 8T, JR8611a ST servo, Futaba 9350 Th\Brk Servo, RB-C6BB Motor and Novarossi 528XR.
My return spring is strong enough to pull the servo to neutral albeit slowly. I may have to throw a second spring on there to be safe.

All points are well taken, but still no explanation as to why my rx went to full throttle on signal loss instead of the full brake setup I had bound it at. I initially thought it was low voltage, because I had been running all day on that battery, but when I got home it still had plenty of charge left. I even duplicated it several times with a fresh battery before I re-bound the system.

So the question remains....Why did this happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening again?
I dunno with that one

I can tell you this much
2 weeks ago I had my truggy out in front of the house.
Radio and truck was one but motor was not running.
Radio was not in my hands and next thing it was glitchy with the steering servo and throttle.
It wa like some one had the radio and was doing it.

The only thing I can think of is that it is 2.4G and something may have crossed that channel for a moment like ham and CD radios interfer with radio and television signals.

NTC3 RTR assoc .15
NTC3 OS .18

Gforce Wrote:My return spring is strong enough to pull the servo to neutral albeit slowly. I may have to throw a second spring on there to be safe.

All points are well taken, but still no explanation as to why my rx went to full throttle on signal loss instead of the full brake setup I had bound it at. I initially thought it was low voltage, because I had been running all day on that battery, but when I got home it still had plenty of charge left. I even duplicated it several times with a fresh battery before I re-bound the system.

So the question remains....Why did this happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening again?

Had the same problem over the weekend breaking in a motor for Awful Kanawful. Had the truck idling and he turned off his radio(his goofy azz idea! lol) Truck went WOT for a second till he turned the radio back on. His was because he set up the failsafe and then had to reverse the servos and never fixed it.
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PAIN; THE INK AND THE JEWELRY ARE JUST SOUVENIERS
hmmm... That may be the reason why this happened. Hopefully now that I have it fixed it won't happen again.
I'm a gonna throw in 2 cents....I run failsafes set for brakes. I want the loss of signal to stop it NOW, not let it continue to coast to a stop. I just make sure I turn off the power on the truck when done running. Make it a habit.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
I feel better with it set for full brake too. I have several cheap servos I can use should I happen to burn one out.
DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 Wrote:I'm a gonna throw in 2 cents....I run failsafes set for brakes. I want the loss of signal to stop it NOW, not let it continue to coast to a stop. I just make sure I turn off the power on the truck when done running. Make it a habit.

so when u go down the straight and lose power and u lock em up by the end and have 8 losis plow u from behind? Smile
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
It's better than smashing into a concrete wall! A Losi will do damage but not as much as a wall.
Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:so when u go down the straight and lose power and u lock em up by the end and have 8 losis plow u from behind? Smile

at least the losi's wont break. :p: Wink
Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:so when u go down the straight and lose power and u lock em up by the end and have 8 losis plow u from behind? Smile
He might like that!!!!!!!!
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PAIN; THE INK AND THE JEWELRY ARE JUST SOUVENIERS
motoxer4life Wrote:at least the losi's wont break. :p: Wink

dont worry, you + losi + vspec = more donuts than i will be able to laugh at Smile
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"

A: What's a "straight" ? :confused:
and
2: There are never 8 Losi's in front of my house. Rolleyes
I set my failsafe for nuetral...there is more of a chance of you leaving the car on after you run than there is for a runaway to happen.

let it coast....runaways happen (for me) like once every 2 years if that...I turn my car off/on multiple times a week.

What's more risky?
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
squirrel Wrote:He might like that!!!!!!!!

just caught that.... grow up.

funny still......

well, since most guys agree on neutral and since I never rock the boat, I'll go with neutral in the future as well. But Mike, if you are on my rear bumper (like lapping me) I'm gonna slam on the brakes and yell FAILSAFE, Sorry....then drive on.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Futaba 3PM and Spektrum SR3000 Krosenqu 3 4,083 07-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Krosenqu
  Losi 2.4ghz Tx/Spektrum Rx compatability question. BJoe 1 4,412 03-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Last Post: BJoe
  SPEKTRUM Servo Question team3six 3 3,609 02-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Last Post: team3six
  Spektrum Dx3R GWPHOENIX 0 1,944 01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Last Post: GWPHOENIX
  KO Propo EX-1 Mars radio. Spektrum?? bubbaracing 7 2,959 10-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Last Post: bubbaracing
  how to bind spektrum Meatwad 8 4,266 07-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Thirdgen89GTA
  Spektrum Failsafe??? Revoguy22 16 4,031 05-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Revoguy22
  Spektrum DX3.0 .Vs. Jr XS3 Revoguy22 7 2,809 01-07-2007, 05:57 PM