Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New/old kid on the block.
Hi guys, I used to race offroad electric back in the day when Radio Active was still around. I am looking to get back into it, but it seems the closest track to me (leisure hours) doesn't do electric on Sundays and unfortunatley Sunday is the only day I have to do it so that either means I need someone to advise me where I can race my ancient RC10-T2 on Sundays or I need to trade for a nitro.

I would rather stay with electric because that is what I know and amazingly my batteries are still good. Who would have thought they would have survived 8 years in storage and still take and hold a charge?

Are there any electric races in Chicagoland on Sundays?

Or is there anyone willing to trade? If I need to switch to nitro I would like to do it with a minumum of initial expense.

My setup: RC10-T2, titanium turnbuckles, full bearings, I think I upgraded the trans but it was so long ago I am not sure, tekin trickle charger, upgraded servo, speed star, KoPropo programmable remote, reedy stock motor and a 19t.

It was in pieces until last week when I pulled it out of the closet and re-assembled it. Runs great.
Nitro is the big thing in this part of the country. As you've noted, Sundays are nitro for the indoor season. In the summer some of the other tracks have an electric class on Sundays but there are so few entrants that it can't be any fun. Mostly little kids.

Get a nitro buggy. As a matter of fact I've got a nice one for sale. PM me if interested.
wow Bruce theres a shameless plug if ive ever seen one LOL
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
Gforce...welcome the ChiTownRC, the friendliest forum on the planet.

Seriously, so much stuff has changes in those 8 years you may want to rethink electric and just get into the nitro game, or wait until summer for more options. There's always electric or open practice at Leisure, as well.
I don't mind shameless plugs...especially if it is a good deal. I want back into the hobby. Back when I started, nitro wasn't exactly popular. Everybody was into the electric. Nobody wanted to breathe the fumes when racing indoors. It seems times have changed.
Gforce Wrote:I don't mind shameless plugs...especially if it is a good deal. I want back into the hobby. Back when I started, nitro wasn't exactly popular. Everybody was into the electric. Nobody wanted to breathe the fumes when racing indoors. It seems times have changed.
Welcome to the boards!
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PAIN; THE INK AND THE JEWELRY ARE JUST SOUVENIERS
A lot has changed from what I can see even in the electric side of things...brushless motors, LiPo batteries and more. ut at least with electric I am RTR. Going Nitro just seems like it will be costly unless I can work out a trade with somebody.
Trading the T2 might be a challenge. Selling it may be easier, but it won't bring too much. I have an older B2, so I know.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
Gforce Wrote:Nobody wanted to breathe the fumes when racing indoors.

Isn't that why we race nitro? LOL JK I went to a few electric races to watch and after I started racing nitro the electric was too quiet.

Welcome
Ebay may be my best bet on unloading it. Sad I had a lot of good memories with that truck...it even got on TV...well cable anyway. A friend of mine broadcast a few of the old Radio Active races on cable access back in the day.
You'll probably run into a few people from the Radio Active days at the track racing nitro now.
Radio Active!!!! I raced there in 1986 with my Kyosho Ultima! I still have it.
Yeah electric was the deal, with the high powered 1200 batteries!
Nitro was just not reliable back then, but has it come a long way or what? My first Nitro was the Savage 25 3 years ago. Now I am learning to drive my TTR truggy.
I would also encourage you to give Nitro a try. I know I was impressed. Its nice when your motor actually starts, idles, and performs like the manufacturer claims it will! Not so back in our day. Nitro was a major PIA! Sufice it to say they fixed it.
I still love my electrics, but the gas is a gas!
You're never to old to be immature
Electrics seem like toys to me-most people I'd guess. But when I fire up my nitro people have a lot more respect for it and see it more as the hardcore race vehicle that it really is. That's what it'll take to get this from a hobby to a sport.
its still racing toy cars for bowling trophys lol

Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:its still racing toy cars for bowling trophys lol

I disagree. For guys like us it might still be. But Tebo and Drake are making over $250,000/yr. That's starting to get serious IMO. Still a long way to go though.
250K a year?? not a chance

Definately. And Tebo makes more than Drake. These guys don't have measily %50 off deals like guys around here.
Welcome to the boards!! I would have to vote for the "give nitro a try" as well. If you want to get into it fairly cheap you could always go with something like a XXX-NT RTR or RC10GT2 RTR. I can guarantee that once you get bitten by the nitro bug... you will quickly want to go out and buy the latest and greatest. Buying used on here is another good way. Everyone has a pretty good idea of the quality of each other's stuff and tend to look out for each other. You can snag some nice stuff just by watching the for sale forums.

Again, Welcome.
1st... I think anyone of us would be more than happy with a 50% deal so i dont think measly is a correct description.

But comparing drake and tebo to local isnt really fair, guys like them are the reason 50% deals exist. The made our hobby what it is...

i think 250k is high but not that high.... thier names are on kits so you know they make royalitys. i bet 150 isnt to unreasonable.
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune
i gurantee you that drake makes more than tebo, Drake is an engineer for losi and does the majority of their R&D work. Tebo is a 20 y.o kid that pretty much just drives

whats wrong with 50% drivers?
Mugen Seiki
Ninja
Team Associated
Reedy
LRP
i was wondering the same thing lol

Thanks for all the welcomes guys. I will be stopping by LHR Sunday to check things out and maybe pick some of your brains about what a hot budget setup might consist of. I am also going to be there to check out a possible purchase of a used buggy. I want to check it out first.
What scale is usually run? I see all diff sizes out there from 1/8 to 1/10 all the way to 1/16. Is 1/10 still pretty much the standard like it was back in the day with electric?
1/8th scale is the standard

1/8th is the scale for racing nitro buggies and truggies.
1/8 and 1/10 for monster trucks.
1/10 for nitro stadium trucks (I think).
1/10 for electric buggies and stadium trucks.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
You're never to old to be immature

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New decal maker on the block cemeb4dk 160 24,720 06-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Biodragen
  Revo Big Block ATA_Thrash 0 1,510 12-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Last Post: ATA_Thrash