Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too many mods @ once?!
Is there a such thing as modding your RC vehicle at once, for a competition ready RC? In my case the vehicle of my choice is the Traxxas Revo 3.3. This will be my first season of racing or ever being on a real track. My neasest track is like 45 min one way (I found one a little closer than previously stated.) So I'm trying to do a build-up with out ever seeing how the vehicle has ever ran w/o them. So far I have ordered an RDR starter box, and all of the neccesary tranny mods., and engine components to go FOC, and bump start. Next on the list will to be all of the "Slayden recommended" mods per the Pit Pass articles. After this, will be the electronics, After much deliberation, (and a couple of threads on here) I've decided to go with the Spektrum DX 2.0, instead of the Nomadio react. I feel the Nomadio react is a little more pricey and way more than I really need right now. Steering and Throttle covered by Hi-tec HD Ti Digital Servo's. (or atleast one for steering.) Finally some extras, I've got just a few in mind, all RDR compnents, (shock mounts, axle carriers, 23mm hd hubs) Tekno fuel/battery/reciever set-up, mugen wing mount, side-pipe set-up, I Think that just about covers it for now, (I know I left out shell, wheels and tires, but thats really a no-brainer) any input on this is greatly welcomed.
Yes and no.... if the vehicle JUST came out I would say you are doing too much for not having a clue how it will act. On the other hand there is a pretty good handle on what needs to be done to take the Revo from "box stock competative" to a race truck. The mods like FOC, going to a nicer radio and single steering servo, P2 or P3 rocker setup, new tires, wing and mount, new pipe, and different springs are great. I used the Tekno box eliminator and it worked perfectly. I would say if you don't have a problem spending the cash, then you are on the right track.
Yeah everything you listed should get you going. Smile

I would get the DX2, The 2.0 has that antenna up 10 feet in the air and I think it'll break off...Just my opinion though.
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
Ive got like 8-10 yrs off and on RC experience (as an avid enthusiast) and about 9 mo Revo mechanic'n experience, (This is my 3rd Revo this year, just my 1st 3.3) I sold the other 2 to get more serious about the hobby. (and other reasons)
I like to buy up what people think are "used up RTR's" show them a little love, and then re-sell them. Its worked out pretty well so far, and It helps keep my wife off my back at times. Although suprisingly enough she took this whole "I want to get into racing, and it's going to cost money" thing pretty well. This is like my one chance to get going at it, (She's began mentioning things like buying a house, kids, some other scary stuff) So there's really no room for error, money waste, bling, ect. Keep it coming! thanx!Big Grin
mods all at once? sell it and get a truggy Wink
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
Ponch Wrote:Yeah everything you listed should get you going. Smile

I would get the DX2, The 2.0 has that antenna up 10 feet in the air and I think it'll break off...Just my opinion though.

I thought it had the same antenna as the DX2, atleast it looks to me that way at the Spektrum website, Maybe they just posted the pic wrong.
Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:mods all at once? sell it and get a truggy Wink

I'm a Traxxas fanatic, have been since my first sledgehammer way back in the day. The local (45min away) track doesn't have enough Truggy owners to have a class, everyone else there too are Revo's. I had considered it otherwise.Big Grin
Speaking of Czech, how much would it run me to get a majestic Truggy body painted, based off my Avatar the Disturbed Logo? More detail of what I have in mind, at the Disturbed homepage.
the antenna is the same it just bends like 1/2 in up instead of at the base of the radio
The worst dirtbiker is always one step ahead of even the best quad rider....

Tex Wrote:WTF, racing ranger 2?????? and racing ranger 1???? #2 needs his ass kicked for taking someone elses name.
You should not have a problem with the 2.0 antenna. I would still rather use that then the stock DX2.
All those mods should not be a problem. You are not really doing anything that will really effect the truck. They are basicly upgrades,well other then the side pipe. I did try that and although others have found better ways to do it. I didnt like it so I went back to my THS pipe.

Its when you start making changes to your handling and weight when you get yourself in trouble. If you go that route,make one change at a time. Like if you move your upper arms and your caster,shock oil and or springs. Stuff like that. Do to much at once and you have a new animal to tame.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
Hey Thanx all for the input, appreciate it! Yeah, I'm really going to try and not get to crazy with it right away. I'm going to concetrate more on getting around the track, than a ton of mods. You could have the best mods on the planet, the fastest motor in all the galaxy, but if you can't tune them, or make them come together, or even drive, you just wasted a whole bunch of time and money. (The same very two items I seem to keep coming up short on most of the time) Anyway I'm more worried about getting around the track like I said. I got a good feeling, at some point the rest will fall into place.Confusedalute:
I did that with my revo a year ago. CF chassis with a EB modded OS 18TZ. What a beast it was to control.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
JTak77, it sounds like you're on the right path....and your state of mind about concentrating on practice at first more than modding is right on....
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spektrum Antenna mods... thenewguy821 1 871 01-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Last Post: RytM1
  EB Mods OS TZ and TM Obsessive R/C 75 7,933 11-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Last Post: snakebite46
  RC10 GT Mods??? GT RaCeR 4 2,160 10-23-2005, 01:12 AM