Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold=problems?
Now this is my first year indoor at LHR. So if this has already be talked about and whatever. My bad

But I noticed it was way cold last week during the state race. Wings were busting left and right,I lost one on the Mugen. The Revo was breaking alot too. Finally snapped a drive shaft,which I have never done before in the main.

Today at practice,I busted a rear carrier on the Mugen. Is the cold temps somewhat to blame? I raced at RVR and although it was heated alittle bit more. Maybe 50's area. I dont remember people breaking stuff like I have in such a short time.

So is this a string of bad luck for me? Or just the cold weather was to much.

How cold was it inside last sunday anyway?
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
it was like 20 inside last sunday, i broke a front knuckle hub thing, never even seen that and then kevin did the same thing, cold makes the plastic more birttle so it will crack easier, never had an issue with metal parts
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
I believe I was told you dont really do Indoor racing mike. So I didnt really expect to see you out.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
huh?

It's the cold. This Sunday should be nice in comparison. If it's that cold I'm not going again. I had a wing break also.
for the guys breaking wings u can just boil them and they will be fine

Ok,so ways to prevent the plastic from snapping like grandma's hip are what?

I am not really worried about a wing. I lose whatever stickers I had on it,big deal. But will the boil method work on the other parts and is it worth it?

Get alum parts. Ok,fixed the problem,but now it is built like a tank,and might weigh like one too! Does CF have the same problem in the cold?

Finally, alittle more heat in the track area would help. Granted,that might cost a nice amount to get it installed(I dont know for sure,not a sales rep. LOL). But there are cheap ways to get fuel to make heat(I work for a used oil company). They have a oil burner in the shop and with the shop doors(9) opened and closed all day long with trucks in and out. It works hard,but it keeps it in the 50-60 range easy. And seeing that it can burn cheaper then gas. If placed in the right spots(help move the air around alittle),it might help alot. But just my $.02.
http://www.wasteoilboiler.net/page/page/..._facts.htm
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
It would be nice if it was warm in there....
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
if u start boiling other parts u may strip chit out etc, CF should really be effected by the cold, the other thing to think about is the track gets watered and its cold in there, some of it is gonna freeze deep down or whatever, its gonna get hard, it sure was at the state race, and whne u crash on that its like crashing on concrete.

Yes it was like cement.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
Drew you broke the Aluminum rear upright!!!?! Or is your mugen NOT a prospec?
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune
No,I didnt break that.........yet! It was the left rear axle carrier that snapped on the lower arm pin hole.

And no,it is not a prospec

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info...ts_id/2256

I broke that,but it was plastic. I will be ordering this item soon.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
I think were talking about the same part... I didnt know yours was a regular one.
Yep,plain jane here but for the motor mount. Only prospec part I have for right now. When you say upright,I am thinking the shock tower.

But it almost looked like it snapped right down the mold line.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
The cold will effect the plastic a little. I like to heat the plastic up a little when it is that cold in the building. The 2 exhaust fans are 32,000 cfm each, which moves a lot of air. That is why we have the radiant heat for the drivers stand. You can't compare RVR to LHR. River Valley way smaller, lower ceilings, less vehicles running, and more smoke. Honestly I don't see that many more broken plastic pieces because of it being colder, compared to when it is a little warmer.
Not really trying to compare,then again. Maybe I am. Main reason RVR had broken parts is because of the poles! LOL. But when we had the turn out. Having 8 buggy's in a race did happen. There was just no air control to help move the smoke around and towards the windows.

Isnt that amount(32,000cfm) alittle overkill? Or just planning ahead? The cold has to have some effect on it. I have never seen wings break that much before. I dont know about the parts,I wasnt really listening to what others were saying. To busy fixing the revo.
I guess I am just wondering if any other form of heating was thought of. With the amount of air that gets sucked out of there. Heating the track to 60-70 is pointless and a waste of money. But to keep it in the 40-50 area shouldnt cost much if the right system is put in place(which is why there is a FAQ about the used oil heating).

Either way,I will just have to watch the temps and use them to help me decide if I race or not. 20 deg is alittle to cold for me to race. Sad
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
Nitro smoke is heavy as sh!t! 32,000x2 is just enough (most of the time)
Why not put radiant heat under the track.
Radiant heat is very cost effective, And you can get a waste oil boiler.
Initail investment on the boiler is a little pricey. But would be well worth it over time.
[url][/url]

IN GOD WE TRUST, ALL OTHERS MUST PAY.
Why not just leave it how it is .... We only race indoor alittle each year... There is also no cement under the so bernie can dig as deep as he wants . Piping would defeat that
Maybe put the fans under manhole covers with piping sucking the air off the groungRolleyes
And if a waist oil heater is used im starting a Jiffy Lube in the lot

MBX5T - O.S.
MBX5R - Novarossi
Nomadio
I only brought it up because:
1.it was damn cold in there that sunday. Might as well of raced outside LOL...
2. I do work for a used oil company. So of course heating from used oil is in my mind.

But I also know that there will be few days where the track is like that. Most of the time,the temps in this area are in the upper 20s to 30s range.
So having days like that sunday will be rare.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
MX_KEVIN Wrote:And if a waist oil heater is used im starting a Jiffy Lube in the lot

We service most of the JL's in the chicago area Smile
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
Casketman Wrote:I only brought it up because:
1.it was damn cold in there that sunday. Might as well of raced outside LOL...
2. I do work for a used oil company. So of course heating from used oil is in my mind.

But I also know that there will be few days where the track is like that. Most of the time,the temps in this area are in the upper 20s to 30s range.
So having days like that sunday will be rare.
I was there this thurs and friday and the track was frozen.
[url][/url]

IN GOD WE TRUST, ALL OTHERS MUST PAY.
Guys.. Its winter... Adjust to the track. the track doesnt adjust too you. Sorry to sound like a d!ck but thats really the way it goes in r/c racing.... wether its dry and dusty or frozen ... Change your setup
Well that did make you sound like a d!ck rocc..Now my feelings are hurt!!!Smile

I dont think you can change your setup to deal with a frozen track just short of loading your truck up with Alum. parts lol.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24