Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boiling off old tires
I'm needing to remove some good tires from good wheels to replace foams. I don't wanna ruin anything. So, boil them for how long on each side (cuz they float, right)?

And, because I don't want to risk divorce by using my good cookware pots....has anyone ever tried using a large coffee can to boil in? It will only fit one wheel at a time, but I've got time.

Thanks for the tips.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
Ponch made a thing how to do it. But then again, it was Ponch.
8ight | Mini-T | CEN Boat | Stampede | JR R-1

ALL RC STUFF FOR SALE. PM FOR DETAILS.
Heat them in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes and they pop right off. use gloves. if they don't come off ez bake a little longer til they do
I had to boil my tires for atleast 45 minutes each side for them to come off. Boiling them won't do anything to a pot so there is no need for a coffee can.
UE-Maxx Wrote:I had to boil my tires for atleast 45 minutes each side for them to come off. Boiling them won't do anything to a pot so there is no need for a coffee can.

You don't know my wife!

As for the oven, I recall Rocco melting tires at 350??? Are we sure about that method?
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
i tried that oven deal at 350 for like 10 minutes and they didnt melt.....well the tires didnt, the wheels got so soft and from me pulling on the tires too much they were ruined. tires didnt come off very easy either, mabey shoulda left em in longer.

GS RACING, TQ FUEL, FASTLANE GRAPHIX, CZECH-IT-OUT
Ok.... Here a sure fire way dave....

I do this more than i like to admit......

Preheat the oven at 350 for 10 mins.... Put the tires in and turn the temp down to 250... I set the timer for 20 mins and when they come out they pop off no problem... Its alittle smelly but its warm out today crack a window and you'll hardly notice... And i know mikey is going to chime in and say that this method creates Cyanide gas, but i searched the net for hours and never did i find anywhere that stated enough could be prouced to harm even a small child...

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT try the acetone method i read(on the panther thread on sgrid) where you submere the tire in acetone and the glue melts away and the world is a happy smell free place.BULLSNOT! it ruined my boa C's Rubber is so hard now.
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune
that only does that to c compound tires rocco
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
Well i learned that the hard F'in way... 60 dollar mistake
and if u are gonna do the acetone thing get a 5 gallon bucked and put a brick in the bottom fill the bucket up to about brick level and put the tires on the brick so they dont actually touch the acetone then close the lid and let it sit

no the mistake was buying the panther tires in the first place Smile

rocco79 Wrote:Ok.... Here a sure fire way dave....

I do this more than i like to admit......

Preheat the oven at 350 for 10 mins.... Put the tires in and turn the temp down to 250... I set the timer for 20 mins and when they come out they pop off no problem... Its alittle smelly but its warm out today crack a window and you'll hardly notice... And i know mikey is going to chime in and say that this method creates Cyanide gas, but i searched the net for hours and never did i find anywhere that stated enough could be prouced to harm even a small child...

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT try the acetone method i read(on the panther thread on sgrid) where you submere the tire in acetone and the glue melts away and the world is a happy smell free place.BULLSNOT! it ruined my boa C's Rubber is so hard now.

Money back guarantee on that Rocco?
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
Ohhhhh YeahRolleyes

Seriously though the oven wont hurt them
yeah I just did it today, I put them in for 20 minutes at 350, hell the wheel stickers I couldnt get off a couple of my wheels even stayed on
I boil. I use two pans and fill them up about 3/4 way. On high heat takes like 10min to boil(putting a lid on helps). Then I toss one tire in each and let them sit for 15min on each side then flip. You can hold them down with something that will weigh more then the tires. That will speed up the time. But either way,just watch the water level because it will go down(duh)

Depending on how much glue was used,sometimes they do 'pop' right off. And there has been times where I had to put that side back in for another 5 minutes to finish the job. It does cool off fast,but watch the foams on the inside so you dont get burned as you pull the tire off.

Just clean the bead and rim and your set. All that is left over is some dirty water. The pan will have some dirt rings on it also.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
rocco79 Wrote:Ohhhhh YeahRolleyes

Seriously though the oven wont hurt them

But it will stink up the house.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
Not really...

BTW mike.... I let them sit in the acetone for like 24hrs till the glue would finally let go.... How much acetone and how long would that bucket method take!?!? 2-3 weeks!?!?! Who has that kind of time... And btw we all know panther tires are good so just cut it out Mr.!
panther tires arent good, the bucket method is suppused to work better because it is sealed and the fumes are supposed to more than the actual soaking

Mine where in a sealed container fella and im sure they started to float mins after i pushed them in...

Your right all im gonna run is pro-line
man thats the smartest thing ive ever heard u say Smile

Oooops for got this lil guy.... And his buddies.Rolleyes Confusedlap:

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaha
The oven method is the ONLY good way to do it. I've been at this a while and tried all methods. The others suck compared to the oven.
yeah the only advantage to the acetone method is that I believe it take off all the old glue, where as the oven method you have to peel it off.
boiling works ok, tires don't just pop off though..

oven works a lot better and my c-boas fell off the rims with ease...I didn't like the clean up I had to do on the rims/tires though, glue needed to be cleaned up all over the place and it literally took 2-3 hours to get it all off. At that point I wished I would have just bought new rims....

oven does stink up the house IMO and boiling does mess up a pan...

Roc, eric did the acetone thing on his c-boas and he like them with the hard compound....he said they work good.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
the best way if you are just going to refoam is a beand new xacto and some patience. i can cut off and reglue a set of 1/8 tires or 1/10 truck tires at the tarck. you just cut the tire away from teh wheel on the backside with a NEW blade. you try to cut as close to the wheel as possible and take your time and it works great. i learned that one from mr gosch
Hi im johnny knoxville and welcome to jackass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What tires are most people running for AMT outdoor? Toughtrax 15 3,755 09-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Last Post: rocco79
  Parts Boiling Time? Ponch 12 3,778 04-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Last Post: FreeRideFrosty