Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone ever been to (ad)venture hobbies?
I have, and I want those minutes of my life back. Don't go there for 1/8th scale stuff cause they got nothin'!

Also, other than 1 person, I don't really find anyone there to be helfpul in the slightest. The store never carries anything in stock. Says they support ofna parts, but nothing in stock all special order. Engine parts? Special order. They sell OS engines, but never one way bearings in stock, or parts for those engines.

Its real nice that they are 2 miles from me, but its 2 wasted miles when never have anything I need. I end up ordering on the web, or going to Al's who always seems to have what i need.

I don't know how venture has stayed in business for 25 years.

If you do work at Venture Hobbies, I'm sorry. I'm just fed up with going in there and NEVER having parts I need without special ordering it.
i used to go there alot they were alot better before als is the best these days
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
I will agree that venture hobbies isn't really all that good but I do have to say that up in the Northern parts I dont really think that we have that much of a choice of where we can go in person and get some little things that we might need in a hurry "that is if they even would have it".
"I'm always amazed to hear of air crash victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?"
Yeah up north we have no where except venture. It isn't too bad, as long as you know what you need. But that fat guy, i think his name is chris, is the worst, complete jerk
Smile
ya chris is a real D bag i remmeber when i frist started goin there just a total dildo
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
Very true you have to try and talk to a guy by the name of Darin Leist he's a alright guy and knows alot about the cars to get you the right stuff when they order it incase they have to that is LOL
"I'm always amazed to hear of air crash victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?"
Yeah, Darren is great. He, and that one kid, maybe 18-19 years old, are both relatively knowledgable and nice. Chris just hates people cuz he's fat, thats my opinion. LOL
Smile
all ive ever seen him doing is yelling at a kid that works there or playing the flight sim thing. itstrue they got nothing, yet i continue to go there.
A buddy and i drove there from the aurora area one day to check it out.... I guess if i wanted to build a model or a 1932 war plane i would have been in the right place....

... Not worth the gas too go there
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune
Yeah, the biggest problem is just about everything car related is "special" order parts only. They carry craploads of static models, plane, heli and boat stuff but cars, the most COMMON form of RC they have little to nothing of.

And the prices are bad too! $38 for a set of alu. clutch shoes for a big block.

I was in there and I asked for some clutch shoes. He asked me what car I needed them for so I said 1/8th scale buggy. The guy responds back, "We don't have any of those, I'd have to special order them...."

So I respoind right back with, "Wait? Your telling me you don't have any aluminum shoes for a big block?"

He goes, "no."

I left scratching my head.
carefull, kyosho and others have a different diameter hole where they slide onto the flywheel. I'd hate for them to order you some $38 AL clutch shoes and have them be wrong.

Just stick to Al's, they are great.....if you want BEST, go to leisure hoursWink
j/k Mike
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
I go there only if I'm in a pinch for parts and they happen to have it. Their service sucks, people aren't friendly and the prices aren't as good as Al's.
Darren is cool though, I must say that. I've hung out with him a few times and he's always very friendly and helpfull. Not to mention knowlegable (SP?).
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Never been to Venture, but a general comment on hobby shops.....if you were in the hobby shop business, given the dynamic nature of the RC hobby, and given the fact that many RC'ers jump brands so often (Flavor of the Month syndrome), would you invest money in inventory on a product line in hopes that it's going to be a seller? Remember, they are running a business, not a charity support center.

If a shop makes it known that they are happy to get special orders in for you, and they are quick to do it, and fair priced when they do, AND they are helpful on the phone when you call to check if they have what you want (in other words, they have a good inventory management software system), then I have no problems with a shop. If you expect a small business to have the entire Tower catalog in their inventory, then your expectations are too high. For them to stock items that don't move, even if they are common to us, might not be a reasonable expectation, either.

For me, I like shops that can tell you what they have in stock over the phone, quickly, without "let me go search that aisle" and then put you on hold for 15 minutes. If they don't have it, I am fine with telling them to get it for me special order as long as they call me when it's in, not I call them and ask until it comes in.

my .02 on shops.

I like Leisure Hours. Hobbytown Aurora is convenient for most stuff I need, but is reliant on special ordering versus deep inventory. But I'm ok with that because their computer system is kept up to date and they know what they have.
Venture should have a set of .21 clutch shoes in stock, period.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
My point. Its just a big block, its not brand specific really. Nearly 3shoe clutch setup for a big block should work.

As a hobby shop, they should at least carry some of the basics for the products they sell. The commonly broken parts should at least have a few of them. I'm ranting right now, but I'm completely turned off to Venture, theres only 1 guy who is good to talk to and actually has decent knowledge about products.
By slamming a shop on here it will only make it worse.

If you want to make things better, explain to the shop owner that if he wants your business and your loyalty, he needs to stock what you need, otherwise you are going elsewhere.

Ranting here does nothing to help your situation, unless you believe the owner reads these forums.

If the counterman is unfriendly or unknowledgable, tell the owner this too. Unless it's his son-in-law or some other relative, he would want to know this about an employee.

If this has been the store's legacy for a long time, you can prolly figure it's not going to change.
I don't think he was posting this on the forum so the shop would see it. I think he was just venting about a situation he went through.

Same as if I got a flat and the tire store didn't have any 15" tires in stock.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Its not worth it, as far as complaining about the parts availability. I have made multiple complaints about some of the staff though, I was specific about which people were not helpful.

But at this point in time rather than continue putting myself through the trouble of ordering parts through Venture I simply make the drive to Als, who usually HAS what i need, and half the time i spend just BS'ing with Alvin, Chip, and the rest of the sales staff.

Heck, right now we are displaying an Als banner every week when we head out to the bash spot on sundays. Simply put of any of the major hobby shops I've been to in the last year Als has been the best, best selection, good staff, etc...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arlington Hobbies BJoe 2 2,929 02-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Last Post: BJoe
  I-Hobbies Coming.. SLOW REVO 37 7,317 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Last Post: DAVEC-NITRO-RS4
  Tower hobbies savings codes mikeh 0 11,218 07-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Last Post: mikeh
  Combine your hobbies - RC and golf..... DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 5 1,710 03-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Last Post: DAVEC-NITRO-RS4
  Other hobbies mikeh 129 14,704 03-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Last Post: rocco79
  What's your other hobbies? Technical RC 48 8,923 11-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Last Post: rocco79