Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how do you take out a piston and sleeve?
hey folks Im cleaning up an old pro 15. how do I get the sleeve piston and shaft out?
Same 'ol Fun!
First you take the sleeve out by removing the backplate and like using an unsharpened pencil and push the sleeve up and pull it out. Then put the piston at TDC and take the connecting rod off the crankshaft. Most of the time you should be able to have it at TDC and turn the engine up side down and just wiggle it untill it falls out. Then take your clutch and flywheel off and just push the crankshaft to the back of the engine and it will also just pull out.
[Image: mich1iy1.jpg]
Once you get the head button off and the back plate off. You can rotate the crankshaft which sometimes will push the sleeve up past the top of the engine block so you can grab hold of it. If it is a tight fitting sleeve, then disconnect the conrod from the crankshaft pin. You can then slightly move the conrod out of the way a little bit and get a soft piece of wood or a toothbrush and push up on the sleeve and work it out until you can grab hold of it. Don't use anything metal to do this! Please, take careful note of the orientation of the conrod and piston as it sits in the sleeve in the engine. Replace it in the wrong direction and it WILL destroy your engine.
where can I fit anything in to push on the sleve? it is really tight in there!
Same 'ol Fun!
you go from inside the back were you took the plate off. You might need a little heat also to get the sleeve free. Sometimes they can get tight in there.
[Image: mich1iy1.jpg]
time to pull out the heat gun!
Same 'ol Fun!
oh well I heated the crap out of this thing and no give! I was just seeing if there was any life left in the old 15. no biggie I was prob going to get an .18 any way. btw this is going into an rs4 3. thanks for the help guys!
Same 'ol Fun!
Put it in the oven.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
rusty savage Wrote:where can I fit anything in to push on the sleve? it is really tight in there!

slide a small zip tie in from the top opening, top of the sleeve, through the exhaust port and out the back, turn the flywheel and the sleeve will pop right up Cool
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
That .18 is gonna make that RS4 super fast in a straight line, but don't expect it to turn too well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need a sleeve pinched, anyone know who does it quickly? Thirdgen89GTA 13 2,503 08-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Thirdgen89GTA
  Piston looks like this right? Ponch 47 6,179 07-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Last Post: rocco79
  Bad Piston Color? maxx-breaker 70 10,581 07-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Last Post: thenewguy821