Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really Frustrated
I keep eating spur gears. This is my third or fourth spur in about 1&1/2 tanks.

Thought it was my clutch shoes. Bought new ones and went out today to drive and not even two minutes my spur gear is blown. I wasn't doing any jumps. I was still trying to warm up the engine by making a few quarter throttle passes.

Anyone have any idea what it can be? I don't want to keep putting money in this truck only to not fix the problem and not be able to get my buggy running.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
Most likely your motor mount is stirpped where the motor goes in, or you input shaft is bent.
8ight | Mini-T | CEN Boat | Stampede | JR R-1

ALL RC STUFF FOR SALE. PM FOR DETAILS.
is your mesh good?
is your slipper clutch backed off about 1/2 a turn
Losi 8ight with v-spec[SIZE="4"]
[/SIZE]
It could possibly be your Gear mesh, a slightly tweaked Chassis, or a bad motor mount. I'm assuming the Chassis and mount are UE, so they are less likely to be the culprit. Another possibility, could be a slightly bent crankshaft (on the end the CB mounts) This would cause the gear mesh to be fine at one spot of the rotation, but off at another part of the rotation.

Just some thoughts....
Trans moving smoothly?
Both Dace motor mount and chassis/braces.

I'll check the crankshaft. The trans does roll freely.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
Is it a buggy with a center diff?
olds97_lss Wrote:Is it a buggy with a center diff?

nope, supermaxx.
SOLD: BCE Pro X1-CRT Truggy, Dace Predator/Unlimited Engineering towered VBS Supermaxx
Current: Nitro Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4, Nitro Traxxas Slash
Quote:I keep eating spur gears. This is my third or fourth spur in about 1&1/2 tanks.
ever try them with a little port wine cheese? mm mm good

sorry had to do it!
10/8/1871- the great Chicago fire. Approximately 250 people were killed in the fire; 98,500 people were left homeless; 17,450 buildings were destroyed along with the original Emancipation Proclamation.
Chicago Local 281, protecting lives and property for over 100 years.
Lawn sprinklers save your grass, Fire sprinklers save your a$$
i higly doubt that the shaft is bent, that would have to be a serious impact, the only thing i could think to be wrong would be the gear mesh or a screw somewhere is loose...
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
is one side of the gear more sheaded than the other? the motor might not be aligned properly. looking at the gear, does it have a v shape?
10/8/1871- the great Chicago fire. Approximately 250 people were killed in the fire; 98,500 people were left homeless; 17,450 buildings were destroyed along with the original Emancipation Proclamation.
Chicago Local 281, protecting lives and property for over 100 years.
Lawn sprinklers save your grass, Fire sprinklers save your a$$
Well, things to check:
Cracked engine mount
Bad CB bearings
Bad trans topshaft bearings
Loose trans case bolts
Loose engine mount bolts.
If your running a speed geraing setup. Maybe it is heating the clutch bell up so much it is melting the spurs. I have seen this several times on different models. Brakes hanging up can also do the same thing. Just another idea. Any pictures of these trashed gears ?
is your slipper set tight so you can pull a wheely?
and how are you setting the mesh between the spur and cb?
Gary Wright
President
http://www.midwestnitro.com
"Keeping Racing Simple"
I checked the crank shaft. That's not bent.

The CB isn't getting hot because as soon I killed the engine, I was able to put my finger on it and keep it there.

Slipper is backed off about half a turn. It's not the mesh. I make sure there is some play between the CB and spur.

Would I be able to figure it out if I just put a new spur on, have the wheels off the groung, and just rev the engine a little bit and see if the spur strips then?
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
Steve, try the "piece of paper" method to set the mesh. It's a sure fire way to get it right without being too loose. Regular looseleaf notebook paper. Then check it all the way around the gears to make sure there isn't a tight spot.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
That was my last spur I had. I got to pick one up.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
Gabe had problems with spurs until he mssed with slipper settings.
got paint?
Colors by Dave - CBD
1-29-07 ... you know.
I hate the paper method personally. Never worked for me. I always do it by feel now, and I've blown 1 spur in mabye 4 gallons, and that was because something (like a rock) got in there and chipped up a tooth. I do it by feel. Get it all together, and set the mesh somewhere in the middle range. roll the truck back and forth. Move the motor closer if it's not touching the spur and visa versa...Find the sweet spot where everything rolls freely and has little noise, almost silent.
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
that's what i was going to sugest "the paper method"
it can be a pain but like he said ,it's guarenteed.
how do you adjust your slipper?
this is what i did and fine tuned it at the track.
also what condition is your slipper in?

roll the truck backwards then hit the gas ,

if the truck takes off emediatly with no hesitation loosen the slipper alittle
if it sits for a second and keeps rolling backwarsd you should be good.
Gary Wright
President
http://www.midwestnitro.com
"Keeping Racing Simple"
GWPHOENIX Wrote:that's what i was going to sugest "the paper method"
it can be a pain but like he said ,it's guarenteed.
how do you adjust your slipper?
this is what i did and fine tuned it at the track.
also what condition is your slipper in?

roll the truck backwards then hit the gas ,

if the truck takes off emediatly with no hesitation loosen the slipper alittle
if it sits for a second and keeps rolling backwarsd you should be good.

I doubt its the slipper, I ran the same motor, motor mount, chassis, spur, and diffs as him, and ran with the slipped locked, and I never had a problem with stripping spurs.
SOLD: BCE Pro X1-CRT Truggy, Dace Predator/Unlimited Engineering towered VBS Supermaxx
Current: Nitro Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4, Nitro Traxxas Slash
bring it to the track and im sure someone will help you......I would gladly help you.
[/SIZE]
I'm not bringing it to the track.

The track is for people to race, not for someone to just screw around and try to figure out their problems.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
you dont like to race?
[/SIZE]
Yeah I will race, my MBX-5 when it gets running (Only God knows when).

It's either all maxx's or just my maxx that have terrible steering. I doubt I could make some of the turns at the track without having to be marshalled. When I did have it running this last time, it took maybe 10-12ft to make a complete U-turn.

My MBX can do it in about 2-3ft.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler