Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hpi Mt/mt2
Im thinking about picking up another truck, much to my wifes dismay. I dont want another Monster Truck so I was thinking about picking up an HPI MT or MT2.

I want something smaller and faster then my savage but Im not looking to get into buggies or street cars. I want to stay in the off-road area.

Any input would be appreciated.
Many people will tell you to stay clear of this truck including myself after owning one and breaking something every single jump. Nothing but problems. Some will tell you its an ok truck even if they own one or not. Its up to you though. The MT2 might have been upgraded to not fall apart like the MT but I can't be sure as I've never driven an MT2.
I think buggy would do pretty good too in terms of off road, right?(I don't have one, so don't yell at me)
Hey noob , I had an Mt-1 and i loved the little truck, it wasnt as durable as my savage but i always had a blast with it. After going to the expo and seeing the totaly hopped up MT2 at HPI's booth i wanted to buy the one the had on display. It was completely titted out with every upgrade including the nitro star .18! Man it looked good . The rep said it was capable of 60 mph.... I dont buy 60 but i wouldnt doubt speeds close to 50mph. Also very mag thats reviewed the MT2 in the last 6 months seem to love it. So stay with the hpi brand and pick one up. I think im going too. Big Grin
one of my cars is a MT2, nice quick vehicle, easy to tune and holds a tune well. The front suspension has a few problems (lower screws on the c-hubs like to come out) but as long as your not doing Savage size jumps all is well. :p
Go with the MT2, you can always fix it's weaknesses (if any). Like racindude said don't take huge jumps with it, that's not what it was meant for.
Great, thanks for the input. I will most likely pick up the MT2 then.

Now to figure out how to pay for it????? Smile
Yea, if you modify alot and do racing mainly with little jumps then it might not fall apart. I modified certain things so it would hold up alittle better than stock and what I modifed did'nt break, what I did'nt modify did break. I just don't think you should have to add hop-up parts just to make the car hold together.
But isnt upgrading and modifying your truck part of the fun in owning it?

So you have to put a few pieces on so it stays together, lol. Smile
Team Associated RC10 GT is a nice truck also. It was my first Nitro and I love it. I race it at Leisures.
I have fun modding a R/C to boost its already good performance. I did'nt have fun buying aftermarket parts for my MT to make sure the shocks did'nt pop, or the to make the turnbuckles stay on, or the C-cup on the steering to stay together or trying to make the front drive shafts stay on the car....etc etc. It was definatly not ment for jumps over1 1/2 feet high...and that may be pushing it as I did some small jumps like that and parts still broke. Unfortunatly theres not alot of choice when looking for a 4WD stadium truck. I'm looking to get another stadium truck myself so I'm either going to get the Team Associated stadium truck even though its 2 wheel drive or make a custom 4WD Stadium truck from my old TC3 Chassis just to do it.
The Menace .21 is a 4 wheel drive stadium truck Smile

I don't think they have a class for that one in racingSad
Mr. Associated Wrote:I have fun modding a R/C to boost its already good performance. I did'nt have fun buying aftermarket parts for my MT to make sure the shocks did'nt pop, or the to make the turnbuckles stay on, or the C-cup on the steering to stay together or trying to make the front drive shafts stay on the car....etc etc.

That's the nature of off-road, they take a heavier beating than on-road Big Grin
Jack, your 1/18th Mini-T did far jumps with little to nothing happening...The 1/10th MT did those same jumps and broke stuff left and right. Rolleyes

My point is that the MT I owned could'nt even take a racing track type of jump 80% of the time without something going wrong. 95% of the parts on there were new also including the aluminum radio tray and the aluminum spur gear housing.
I had the same experience as Mr. Associated. poor.. poor trucks only good for on road. the ones I had would break just drivng in a lawn without even jumping it. spur gears strip constantly, throws dogbones constanly, breaks uprights and c hubs. It takes a complete line of every hop ups and mod you can get for it to make a tough NMT or EMT. although I did like my old EMT after I got a good amount of hop ups on it and stayed away from silly powerfull low turn motors. I was never pleased with the Nitro MT though.
-- John --
1:1.. 01 Z28 Camaro A4 Sure.. its stock.
1:8's.. K3, Inferno GT, and a straight line beater car
1:18.. RC18t Mamba and 3s lipo
I had some of the probs. tht you guys had but only after constant abuse and full speed jumps off a 2 1/2 ft jump. For it being my first nitro i think it held up great. I had a nitro star .15 on that baby and i never had the flywheel strip. And the only time it threw a db was when i would land all f'ed up and break a control arm .
I own an MT2 , its OK . I bought the MT2 when they came out , which was really close to the Savage .25 Release date , so the MT2 parts were put on hold to mass produce the Savage parts , so the MT2 parts were not available for the better part of 6 months, yes I did say 6 months . Now they are making parts again but ...
If its too loud your too old

If you cant be an athlete , be an athletic supporter .
If you guys would have seen the one at the expo you'd change your mind about the mt!!!!! Trust me it was TITS!!!!!!
I saw the HPI MT there its nothing special.
-- John --
Wow, i really thought that the one with all the carbon fiber and 18 motor with the titanium turnbuckles and countless other upgrades would have made ya look twice
Its just not worth it imo.. I see no point in buying a fragile, on road car based stadium truck then put $1,500 into it to make it decent when for way less you could pick up a hyper 7 RTR for $500 and it would be 10x more durable, faster, and better handling with an actual class to race in. Thats why there are no 4wd stadium trucks like the HPI MT out there because they would have to compete with 1/8 bugges, the big MT's (maxx, Revo, Savage ect..), and the popular 1/10 2wd ST's for the market share. I was actually surprised HPI revamped the NMT especially when they just straight up gave the EMT the Axe.
-- John --
At our club they just let them race the other 1/10 scale stadium trucks
oh yeah, well your club is junk!!!!!
Mr. Tune Wrote:Deruinked psosting is fun guys! Please don't follow me exwsample, I'm a bda influende.
:joy:
rocco79 Wrote:I had some of the probs. tht you guys had but only after constant abuse and full speed jumps off a 2 1/2 ft jump. For it being my first nitro i think it held up great. I had a nitro star .15 on that baby and i never had the flywheel strip. And the only time it threw a db was when i would land all f'ed up and break a control arm .

I almost forgot about the flywheel issue on the stock engine. Mine stripped not long after I had it, looked at the flywheel and noticed 2 little nubs are what keep the flywheel from spinning.
Dirt Dawgs are coooool........

CSRC is the truth..........