Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subs...
Allright... right now I have 2 JL Audio 10W3's that I am not sure if I am keeping or selling to buy some Diamond Audio D6's. I have them in sealed boxes right now but wanted to make a couple ported ones to make use of those few extra dB. Does anyon know of a good sub box design program that I can DL that will let me do some slightly more complicated designs such as slanted faces and such but that will still do a ported design?? Thanks...
Here is a bad picture of the current setup. Now that I have a longer RCA cable the amp is spun around the other way with the RCA cable and all of the tuning adjustments on top...

[Image: Thesubs.jpg]
what amp and how much power do you have right now? Those Diamond D6's like a lot of power. Either way I say dump the JL's but I don't like JL Audio subs at all so I am biased.

I used to have a copy of BassBox 6 pro but I can't find it now. that program can do all kinds of configurations even round, oval, octagon.. all kinds of funky stuff.
-- John --
1:1.. 01 Z28 Camaro A4 Sure.. its stock.
1:8's.. K3, Inferno GT, and a straight line beater car
1:18.. RC18t Mamba and 3s lipo
If you do find it that would be awesome. That amp is an MA Audio HK something or another... I know that it puts out 1200 Watts RMS at 1 ohm. It is a bit overkill for these so I have it tuned down a bit but it would power the Diamonds without difficulty...
Overkill is good! Heck I run my Sub wich is dual VC 4Ohms each for a 2Ohm load. MY amp puts down 1000W RMS all into a single 12" sub that is rated at 600W rms. ITs better to have too much power rather than not enough when it comes to powering subs because the sub will only use the power it needs.
-- John --
True... I actually had it turned down too much and it was clipping... much better now. Those subs are rated at 300 RMS a piece but JL says that you can push up to 600 RMS "usually" without a problem. I am probably putting about 450 or 500 to each right now. They sound nice... for some reason I always want bigger, better, and louder. Oh well...
hey dan everyone that has a stereo wants bigger and better! thats one hobby i got out of along time ago!

six remember this thread!!! http://p088.ezboard.com/fshowmercfrm59.s...1152.topic
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PAIN; THE INK AND THE JEWELRY ARE JUST SOUVENIERS
lol.. yeah I remember that thread. Enoug is never enough! lol!
-- John --
Haha... tommy thought you can't power more than one sub with a mono channel amp. hehe. I would saythat 300 watts is underpowering 4 of any sub but mono channel amps are for subs. I am runnin both of mine off of a mono channel amp.
i was proven wrong in a later thread by someone that knew more about them than me. all i know is what i have learned myself. (self educated) i haven't gone to school for it if i could i would have i love doing stereos/ installs and custom boxes, but i don't know that much about what goes into them
It's kind of fun... I learned a lot by reading up on some audio forums. That is the only way my install came out clean with no wires showing now. I kind of want to sell it just to do something different... I get bored quick.
dan it will never change you always want bigger and better! i started off with 2 8'' P.O.S. subs and kept upgrading till i got into d.b. drags. you will always want bigger and better, btw dan look into some jl w7s!!! comp subs!

also one thing i have learned about subs is some don't like to be used in a ported box, check out the reccomedations first before you just make the box.
Yeah... these work well in a ported or sealed box. (they just need to be built to JL spec). As for the W7... I wish I could afford one. My friend ended up getting his for an ounce of mary j. I told him if he could get another deal like that to do it and I would just give him cash. I think tha was a once in a lifetime though... The Diamond D6's are supposed to be on par with the JL W6. If that is true 2 would blow my car up nicely. I dunno... I may just save the cash and keep these though...
build up the tivo!!! sounds to me like someone really needed some cannabis! did he get the 10'' the 12'' or the 13 1/2''? one of the guys i work with sold his 2 12'' eclipse alum. subs and box to tony(towshen) and went out and got 1 w7 13 1/2'' wanted 2 but his credit card maxxed out on the one sub!!!!
He got the 12". He got a killer deal if you figure out the cost of an ounce. The thing sounds amazing...
yeah!!!! haven't bought one(oh yeah) in a while but i'm sure the price hasn't changed that much so he got an amazing deal!!!!
JL's ehhh... I've heard a W7 and wasn't all that impressed considering the price you have to pay for one of thoe things. they are wayyy overpriced. For that much money I'd rather get something truly sic like a single Oz Audio Power 12 (4000w rms and quad 1ohm voice coils). even better grab a pair of Diamond Audio D9's or Orion H2's or Crystal CPMX12's...
-- John --
If you are wanting to get a nice sub... I would highly suggest getting one of the kicker subs out of their solobaric lines. I have the S15L7, which is rated for 1000 wats rms and 2000 peak. If you don't already know, the solobaric line are the square subs, shich have usally about 20%+ more area than a round sub. (20% is just what is off the top of my head, I think it may be more...) that means that my 15 inch is actually equall to a 18 inch. I actually have it in a 5 cu. ft. box, but you can use down to a 1.5. check out ebay and check them out. or http://www.kicker.com. I got my 15 off ebay refurb (all working parts are new; even comes with the same warrenty as new) for $190. a new one is around $245 or so. I would suggest to most people a single S12L7, which is rated for 750 watts rms 1500 peak, and a matching amp. just remember not to skimp on a cheap amp; most are not rated properly and won't sound very good. I am using right now a alpine mrp-m350 I believe it is. it is only rated for 350 watts rms, but it pushes that S15L7 all the way. (I might put up a vid or somthing) I actually have the sub in out mini van... waiting for a transplant. Big Grin I also have a 1.5 farad cap on it. [Image: PC0801512.jpg] this next pic also has my dirty revo and a cd player for size comparison. [Image: PC0301472.jpg]
I know all about the kicker line. I am just not a fan of the square. personal preference I guess. bet its loud though...
problem with kicker is the same prob with components there is to much stress on the corners! 6 x 9's have the same prob
awww my little Alpine scared ur jls? :bustingup
Dan im tellin you i can get that prog in 20 seconds and make ur box if u get me the wood and pay for labor.
and you saw the work for the little alpine box while drunk at 3am :bustingup
Just what the forum needed Another Polish kid with ADD

Quote:And now it's sunny out...further proof that the weather is controlled by a woman who can't make up her mind, Mother Nature.
oh yeah.... Dan the second type R is on its way Cool Wink since we know how one sounds two with be about 3db louder and fill up my trunk up a little more

Quote:And now it's sunny out...further proof that the weather is controlled by a woman who can't make up her mind, Mother Nature.
Dude... I teaked mine a bit. I think we can play now. Hehe... if they beat me they beat me... I still only paid $200 for my whole system. I already beat you there. I will build the box after I get the dimensions... I don't need to pay your drinking habit to do it...
FreeRideJunkie Wrote:Dude... I teaked mine a bit. I think we can play now. Hehe... if they beat me they beat me... I still only paid $200 for my whole system. I already beat you there. I will build the box after I get the dimensions... I don't need to pay your drinking habit to do it...
u didnt beat me price wise... 80 in gift cards 110 in cash and the amp was a gift from last year the 3/4 baltic birch cost me a whole 12 dollars

Dude... $80 + $110 + $12 + whatever the cost of the other amp is + the cost of the interior speakers + the cost of the head unit = a lot more than $200. That is what I have into my whole system.....