Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how do you make a t-maxx race worthy?
basically I would liketo know what to get for my basically stock t-maxx so that I can make it set up for racing.

what I have now

forward only transmission
front rpm arms
aluminum bulkheads
fail safe unit

I need to make a list for santa. hehe (hopefully I wasnt a naughty boy)
Losi 8ight with v-spec[SIZE="4"]
[/SIZE]
Forward only: yes
rpm arms: no
aluminum bulks: depends on what brand.
fail safe: no, i'd go for an FM/spektrum radio instead.

Pretty much the cheapest things you can do to a maxx to dramatically improve handling would be get a good set of tires such as crimefighters, and good shocks like powerstrokes, or supershocks.

A strong and fast steering servo with a heavy duty servo saver really makes alot of difference too... this is where a programmable radio comes in handy.
SOLD: BCE Pro X1-CRT Truggy, Dace Predator/Unlimited Engineering towered VBS Supermaxx
Current: Nitro Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4, Nitro Traxxas Slash
oh yeah I got a high torque steering servo
[/SIZE]
good tires
good electronics
bag of spare parts for the most common breakables
good tuned engine that is problem free and reliable
practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.
[Image: mich1iy1.jpg]
wow, i'm surprised no one took the shot!! buy a revo!! j/k! back to your originally scheduled program
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PAIN; THE INK AND THE JEWELRY ARE JUST SOUVENIERS
1. Tires
The stock T-maxx tires are decent but a set of Pro-line Bowties will reduce the weight and improve the traction. Don't run 1/2" offset rims if you plan on racing. Stock offset works the best.
$60-$100

2. Reliable electronics
Move the stock TRX steering servo to the throttle servo position and replace the steering servo with a JR Z650 or something comparable. The JR Z650 is excellent and offers 142 in oz. which will totally improve your steering. Futaba 3305 is also a good 124 in oz. Both are close in price and work excellent.
$40-$50

3. Shocks / suspension
The stock shock will work good when set up properly. Change the shock oil and adjust the spring tension with the spacers provided. 40-60 weight oil usually works best, you need to try it and see what you like.
$10-$30

4. Steering servo saver
You need to eliminate the stock servo saver that mounts directly on the steering servo. Install a solid servo horn directly to the steering servo. Then replace the stock steering assemble that mounts between the chassis and the front skid plate to something like the Pro-line servo saver assembly. The pro-line has the servo saver built into the steering assembly and use a actual spring that can be adjusted to tension you desier. This will give you adjustability and improve the steering response. You will be amazed how much this helps.
$40-$70

5. Brakes
Install the Traxxas carbon fiber brake disk. With this brake disk and using your old steering servo in the throttle position you will be able to stop the truck much better. Sometimes the stock brake work good.
$5.00

6. Engine tuned properly
You need to tune the engine so it runs consitantly. The engine should idle and start good. If your running the stock 2.5 TRX engine watch the video they give you on tunning the engine.
$no cost comes with trial and error

7. Tuned pipe
The stock pipe actually works well, but you can improve the engine performance greatly by installing a new pipe. Header pipe combo's work good but I highly recommend the "MAX Tuned pipe" This pipe uses the stock header which is very good. I have found this to be the best pipe for the TRX 2.5.
$40.00

This is what I recommend from my experience to gain the much needed improvments you desire if your going to visit the races from time to time. Along with practice, practice and more practice you can make a T-maxx perform very well with good driving skills. Good luck.

Supermaxx Predator Lite Race Maxx
Supermaxx Thunder Big-Block Race Truck
GS Storm SUT CE Native Racing Truck
Mugen MBX5T
Mugen MBX5R
squirrel Wrote:wow, i'm surprised no one took the shot!! buy a revo!! j/k! back to your originally scheduled program

Its not the lobby and he is asking a serious question so thats why nobody said that but i was thinking about it lol. Good advice from maxxgs Follow that to start off with and go from there.
[Image: mich1iy1.jpg]
Quote:7. Tuned pipe
The stock pipe actually works well, but you can improve the engine performance greatly by installing a new pipe. Header pipe combo's work good but I highly recommend the "MAX Tuned pipe" This pipe uses the stock header which is very good. I have found this to be the best pipe for the TRX 2.5.
$40.00

The Max pipe is a big help, but for a little more money, I'd recommend either the THS curved pipe or the RD Logics curved pipe for the Maxx. They look like the same pipe (not sure about the inside), and really wake up the stock motor.

THS pipe

The RD Logics pipe looks the same.
well I forgot to say this but I have a good electronics and I have proline bowties that are on the stock wheels.

maxgs thanks for your ideas ans about the steering servo being put as the throttle/brake servo.
I was thinking about that a long time ago but never did so thanks a lot.
[/SIZE]
hey, Traxxas Thrasher, this is going to sound kinda weird but if u r looking for a different pipe that gives u a lot of top end, go with a stock nitro rustler pipe. i assume that u r going to be racing off road, but just thought i would share. im getting the MIP shiny kit from MaxxGS and ill let u know how it is.
8ight | Mini-T | CEN Boat | Stampede | JR R-1

ALL RC STUFF FOR SALE. PM FOR DETAILS.
allright thanks man.

yeah let me know how that pipe is...ok
[/SIZE]
Quote:yeah let me know how that pipe is...ok

He already has the pipe. He is getting cvd's from MaxxGS.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
i dont have the pipe and im not getting cvds, lol

RobH Wrote:Forward only: yes
rpm arms: no
aluminum bulks: depends on what brand.
fail safe: no, i'd go for an FM/spektrum radio instead.

Pretty much the cheapest things you can do to a maxx to dramatically improve handling would be get a good set of tires such as crimefighters, and good shocks like powerstrokes, or supershocks.

A strong and fast steering servo with a heavy duty servo saver really makes alot of difference too... this is where a programmable radio comes in handy.

well the aluminum bulks are integy

also why not the rpm arms?
[/SIZE]
some say that they r too heavy, i like them they bend alot with out breaking, but IMO i would get them, and i wasnt thinking again and i just ordered powerstroke shocks, and i now i dont have enough money for the pipe, so ill have get it l8er

traxxas thrasher Wrote:well the aluminum bulks are integy

also why not the rpm arms?

integy makes crap parts. Your better off with stock than intejunk bulks.

RPM arms are heavier, and flex alot which can hurt handling.

back on integy... Everything on their product line is either just a stock part made into (soft) metal, or copied from another manufacturer, here are some examples:

Hardcore Racing maxx shocktowers:
[Image: blue.jpg]

Integay "type 2" shock tower:
[Image: T3876.1N2B.jpg]

HCR body mount:
[Image: silver.jpg]

Integy body mount:
[Image: T3623S.jpg]

Unlimited Engineering Racer X suspension:
[Image: dscf05716tx.jpg]

Intejunk type 3 pro garbage:
[Image: T3641S.gif]
SOLD: BCE Pro X1-CRT Truggy, Dace Predator/Unlimited Engineering towered VBS Supermaxx
Current: Nitro Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4, Nitro Traxxas Slash
ohhhhh ok I see.

well those bulkheads are crap I know and they bend easier and one of my screws head broke off so im going to have to get new ones
[/SIZE]
do u guys break alot of bulkheads on the maxx's, ive only broke one and that was because i had a cage on it.

I have. Just once. From about ten feet in the air, landed right on a rock.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
I broke two front. my whole front snapped off.

I was driving it and i was going full speed and i went to ride up a curb at an angle and the grass was tall there so I didnt see this huge didth that was about a foot under the curb. all of a sudden the truck dissapeared. WTF!!!Sad Then I walk over there and see part of my truck in the grass and the other part in the ditch.

anyways I broke the following.

front left/right bulkheads
front scidplates
steering bell crank
and bent a shock.

now that ditch goes about 2 feet underground now and you can see under the road :eek:

I wonder what lives down there :ugh:
[/SIZE]
traxxas thrasher Wrote:I wonder what lives down there :ugh:

i think that might be revo2k. lmao jk :bustingup

hahahahaha LMAO thats funny :bustingup :bustingup :bustingup :bustingup :bustingup
[/SIZE]
I dunno if anyone has said it, but I would definetly go with the power stroke shocks, also take a look online for the rustler tank mod that most of the pro traxxas drivers (sounds weird doesnt it lol) have done to more evenly distribute the weight. It is a smaller tank, but your tune wont change through the levels of fuel u have in it etc. Some proline bowties for indoor or CF's for outdoor.
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which 4wd Platforms Make Sense Today? kurama 0 2,466 01-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Last Post: kurama
  SLASH Endurance Race Saturday June 20 2009 - St. Charles IL chicagokenji 0 2,420 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  Race for Free with Your Truck - Chicago chicagokenji 5 2,932 02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  Dirtdawgs Rc Money Race oct. 19 cheesecake 24 5,715 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Last Post: cheesecake
  Race Em R/C RaceEmRc 15 4,930 06-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Last Post: RaceEmRc
  Race Em RC Is going to be a GOOOOO!!! RaceEmRc 43 8,667 05-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Last Post: RaceEmRc
  Kick Off Race for MWNX GWPHOENIX 5 2,321 05-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Last Post: mfanke19
  Revo, a race truggy? snoracer 61 11,718 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Last Post: J-Dub
  First Race @ LHR Bfly 1 1,477 02-03-2008, 09:44 PM