Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery exploded?
It is not a Li-po battery.

I charged the battery up, drove it around, and my brother jumped it down the stairs landing hard on the nose. I lifted the car up to check if anything was broke. Something started to smoke. It was smoking right at the plug of battery and the esc. The wires started melting down towards the batteries. I threw it in the snow, not knowing it was going to blow up. I went inside and about 1 minute later it exploded. Looked outside and there is a black spot where the battery was and no more battery.

What caused this?
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
LOL....funny stuff and I'm glad no one got hurt!

I've never experienced that in all my battery burning days, not sure why that happened. I could only guess.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Sounds like a short to me. Battery got super hot, enough to the point where it exploded.
Mr. Tune Wrote:Sounds like a short to me. Battery got super hot, enough to the point where it exploded.

yup thats usually what happens just be glad it wasnt a 7 cell, lol, that would have put a crater in the ground not just the snow, lol
8ight | Mini-T | CEN Boat | Stampede | JR R-1

ALL RC STUFF FOR SALE. PM FOR DETAILS.
lol thats a funny story. I ran inside and came back out in a minute. Not trying to make fun of you but my guess would be something like the wires touched and shorted it out and the battery had nothing better to do at that point but go.
[Image: mich1iy1.jpg]
So the battery just got too hot? This is a calling for deans plugs. Also should I gear down a bit or let the battery cool down after I charge it? Maybe both? Or what should I do to prevent this from happening again?
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
when i run batteries i never let them cool down after charging, then again they don't get that hot. just make sure that nothing is shorted out. before you run check all the wires make sure none of the coating is rubbed away, keep the wires from coming into contact with metal, and get deans plugs. it probably was a short, which means that instead of the power going through the esc to the motor it went directly to a ground which could have been the ground wire itself/ metal chassis/ or something else! hope this helps
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PAIN; THE INK AND THE JEWELRY ARE JUST SOUVENIERS
If you are running tamiya plugs it could have been the plug overheated and melted the wires together in the plug shorting the battery. Also could have been moisture getting underneath the shrink wrap of the battery and shorting the bettery. Also could have just been a bad cell. I had a single cell in a pack go chernobyl on me a long time ago. I was running an HPI EMT in the winter time and pretty much it did the same thing you just described. but really since you were running in the winter and snow I bet it was moisture that got into the pack and shorted it.
-- John --
1:1.. 01 Z28 Camaro A4 Sure.. its stock.
1:8's.. K3, Inferno GT, and a straight line beater car
1:18.. RC18t Mamba and 3s lipo
Does anyone else find running electrics in the snow/water not a good idea? Rolleyes
yeah snow and water + electrics is not a good idea at all.. I fried a couple ESC's, Servos, and batteries before I learned my lesson. Now days I keep my electrics out of water.
-- John --
1:1.. 01 Z28 Camaro A4 Sure.. its stock.
1:8's.. K3, Inferno GT, and a straight line beater car
1:18.. RC18t Mamba and 3s lipo
At some point you have to admit the season is over and move indoors Sad
It didn't get wet. I was inside. Just got back from my LHS. I got deans plugs, but they sold me 2 female packs instead of a male and female. Also got a new battery. My brother and I are both done for a while. Were getting the stuff for Christmas. Also picked up a Parma body and hub bearings.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
You said you threw it in the snow!!! That couldn't have been helping the situation.
Well yeah. I didn't know what to do with it. It was just melting and it smelled really bad.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
OK, I guess the problem was started before the snow incident...weird all the same. Really does sound like a dead short. Did it smell like a cat chewing on a string of Christmas lights?
Umm don't know what that smells like. LOL How about a dog. I have one of those.

It smelled pretty bad. It was smoking. It smelled like an eletrical fire/rubber burning.

Today in school in my eletricity class we are making a phone and I was soldering one of the diodes on and I was like "Whats burning?" I knew I was doing it somehow and I was burning the cord of the phone. LOL Sort of smelled like that.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
im running my car in deep deep snow i ballooned my esc and reciever but i didnt water proof the servo and it seems to be running fine (knock on wood)
Gamer.
~Noto
Now that this happened it makes me a little cautious running my eletrics. Especially the mini-t in the house or indoors racing.

Also I am having second thoughts about getting an eletric helicopter whenever I can. They look like a lot of fun to fly and seems like there is always something you can perfect while flying.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
i wouldnt let one thing like that discourage u from running your electrics inside, this only happens a few times, just make sure that u r either buy a door that can be opened easily or if u can put it in something that wont burn, like a metal tool box, lol, me and my friend were running a couple of tycos in my basement a few years ago and my dads old tool box was down there so i just threw it there lol, waited for the smoke to clear then went back down there. with the coolling question just make sure that u let them cool before u start to charge again, i never wait for my batts to cool before putting them back in the RC just be sure to let them cool before u recharge them, i think most manufactureres reccomend that the batts r no more than 10-15 degrees above room tempeture before you start to charge again. also what kind of pack was it? like the brand. and on your next batt, u might want to take either the + or the - and put some shrink wrap on there for double protection just incase it happens again, u will have more time before it starts to melt the wires that are exposed to the outside and could hurt u, lol. as for the exploding, dont hold on to it too long lol

I've never had any issues with water logged batterys.
[Image: IM000871.JPG]
Nothing to worry about trust me.
Watch this vid http://www.badgerracing.com/~rcracer/for...light=swim

You must have shorted the battery, Is the mount plastic or metal? I've lit a $80 integy pack up in flames once because the battery bar shorted against the chassis and the wire leads. Nothing like your time bomb experence though. Big Grin
Its plastic. It was a venom 1200mAh pack. I will watch the video after I get home from school. And Traxxas26 I am shipping it today.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
I had one of those Venom 1000mAh Hex packs let loose on my last year at work with no snow, rain, or morning dew was involved. Sounds like a shorted cell to me in this case too.
ok, sounds good

ha my friend had a problem like this...he made floats for his plane and he had it out it was working...then he started to go to take it out on the lake and it blew up...which destroyed the foam that the skis were made of...it just suck...so at that point he was so fed up he just went and threw the remote in with it too....i dont have a prob runnin my mini-t in the snow frankly...ima go make a jump tonight for it in my alley prolly...just fuor some snow fun...see wut i gotta do for hw then go out and either make a small treack for my mini-t or make some jumps outside my window...(fyi im in a basement) so i can literally throw my car out the window and go! thatd be awesome i just might have to do that...
NSR only race outside if you're sure you won't traction roll/flip lol!
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rx battery set-ups for racing pwnzor 11 1,720 01-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Last Post: dentguy92
  Ouch! battery got so hot it melted the shrink wrap!!! Thirdgen89GTA 16 2,103 07-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Thirdgen89GTA
  In need a battery pro... Brian_BigSquidRC 31 3,337 01-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Tex
  Battery Chargers - Best? db302 7 1,542 01-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Brian_BigSquidRC
  Rx battery chargers Obsessive R/C 5 1,325 10-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Last Post: firesprink281
  battery pack RobH 16 2,700 07-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Last Post: thenewguy821