Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, I want to start some kind of parking lot/spec class....
I know that leisure is going to have an onroad track and everything. But i know that some people like myself dont always have the time. So i thought maybe just some kinda club thing in a parking lot might be fun. Is this a horrible idea? I also spoke to Chip at al's hobby shop and they are possibly going to be able to set up an on road course at the YMCA on the ice hockey area in the summer time and have races. Its a couple blocks from al's. Oh, and the spec thing would just be to keep it a drivers thing. I really havent thought of how it could work.
Mr. Tune Wrote:Deruinked psosting is fun guys! Please don't follow me exwsample, I'm a bda influende.
:joy:
I think it woudl be cool, thats what i started off with at Hobbytown USA at Oak Mill mall before they closed, but once I started racing on a real track i dont think i could ever go back. PRetty much what i am tryin to say is, it might be cool for awhile but it might get boring; racing is racing but I just think u cant beat racing on a "real track"

just my $.02
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
this is true
Mr. Tune Wrote:Deruinked psosting is fun guys! Please don't follow me exwsample, I'm a bda influende.
:joy:
Yeah... I was talking to a few guys from Al's. (While they let me use one of their cars to try out the new slot car track) I think they were saying that they already got the ok to do it at the YMCA...
I still think informal parking lot racing could be a lot of fun, just because it would be less intimidating for newcomers and kids. The racing scene at a "real" track could be a bit threatening to a guy who doesn't have all the bells and whistles for his hobby yet. Less serious "pick-up" races could be a lot of fun. The old Tinley arrangement seemed to draw a fair amount of interest and it was a parking lot setup that was prepped with sugar-water. Anytime you can "race" against someone it's going to be more thrilling than running WOT in a parking lot alone just to burn fuel (or batts).

I hope it gets started at Al's. If they build it, we will come!
I would be down with something like that, I want to get a on-road nitro, been looking at used RS4's on ebay for while now. But I think the parking lot atmosphere is alot more freindly than then everybody thinks, and plus you can be more family and friends to try to convert them to the Darkside.
bandit72577 Wrote:I would be down with something like that, I want to get a on-road nitro, been looking at used RS4's on ebay for while now. But I think the parking lot atmosphere is alot more freindly than then everybody thinks, and plus you can be more family and friends to try to convert them to the Darkside.

Bandit,

I'm currently thinking about selling one of our RS4's in the Spring. If you want to look one over before eBaying, perhaps we have a deal to discuss?

Dave
Cool I will keep that in mind.
And I will drop you a Pm when we get ready to sell. I'm cleaning them up and doing maintenance on them both right now.
DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 Wrote:I still think informal parking lot racing could be a lot of fun, just because it would be less intimidating for newcomers and kids. The racing scene at a "real" track could be a bit threatening to a guy who doesn't have all the bells and whistles for his hobby yet. Less serious "pick-up" races could be a lot of fun. The old Tinley arrangement seemed to draw a fair amount of interest and it was a parking lot setup that was prepped with sugar-water. Anytime you can "race" against someone it's going to be more thrilling than running WOT in a parking lot alone just to burn fuel (or batts).

I hope it gets started at Al's. If they build it, we will come!
You can count me in Dave
Ya I think it would be a good idea now that i think of it. Alot of guys arent looking into serious racing jsut yet and it would be a good thing to help out some new guys with setups and normal rc stuff

Dave, I understand the "Informal Non-Intimidating" race thing to a point. That's what a "Sportsman" class is for. Why take RC dollars away from the "Real" tracks while learning? Shouldn't the kids be exposed to the "Big time" while still racing against those of similar skill levels? You never get better racing the same guys all of the time. That's why I travel extensively (still need to get better however! LOL!!)
I think even more than the intimidation factor is the convenience factor. It is a lot easier to get those, young and old, into racing if they don't need to trave to a track to see IF they will like it. It give them a tase first... I think it's a good idea. If they enjoy racing then they would want to support the actual tracks that are further away.
Plus many tracks dont take sportsman class seriously because there is not many people in it. THe tracks out side of the west coast, like around here get 30 guys tops for a lot of club races. You try to throw 5 of them in a sportsman class and all u do is waste time. Once u get a re-sort the worser drivers will be in a separate qual anyway. I am talking offroad here so it may not apply to onroad.

satoch Wrote:Dave, I understand the "Informal Non-Intimidating" race thing to a point. That's what a "Sportsman" class is for. Why take RC dollars away from the "Real" tracks while learning? Shouldn't the kids be exposed to the "Big time" while still racing against those of similar skill levels? You never get better racing the same guys all of the time. That's why I travel extensively (still need to get better however! LOL!!)

Why discourage anyone who wants to make the effort to bring together fellow rc'ers?

Kids don't get excited about new things, they get anxious. This leads to stress and sometimes a poor first experience. The less threatening you can make the more likely it is that they will do it again and want to progress to the next level. This is the theory behind t-ball, then coach pitch, then instructional little league, then little league, etc... little success keep them wanting more. One failure and they want out.
FreeRideJunkie Wrote:I think even more than the intimidation factor is the convenience factor. It is a lot easier to get those, young and old, into racing if they don't need to trave to a track to see IF they will like it. It give them a tase first... I think it's a good idea. If they enjoy racing then they would want to support the actual tracks that are further away.

Exactly!
[QUOTE

Kids don't get excited about new things, they get anxious. This leads to stress and sometimes a poor first experience. The less threatening you can make the more likely it is that they will do it again and want to progress to the next level. This is the theory behind t-ball, then coach pitch, then instructional little league, then little league, etc... little success keep them wanting more. One failure and they want out.[/QUOTE]

Dave I got my ass handed to me my first race when i was 13, and all I wanted was more racing LOL

five words:

bare bone stock mini coopers
Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:Dave I got my ass handed to me my first race when i was 13, and all I wanted was more racing LOL

We all know you are unique. Rolleyes

Screw it. I'm throwing my kid into the mix at LH's first chance I get. It's me and touring cars I'm really scared of.
chicagokenji Wrote:five words:

bare bone stock mini coopers
Link us up to what you're thinking.....It could be like IROC !!!
Here's a mini class race somewhere in the UK...this is an aprox. 10MB WMV file...click on the "mini.wmv" link:

http://pages.ripco.net/~kenji/mini/

Places like Intense Raceway Park are running a Mini Cooper race. Intense runs theirs on Sundays. Trackside in Milwaukee also runs a Mini class on their on road racing days. The His and Hers Hobbies in Kenosha are psyched about possibly including Mini's in their regular Saturday evening races. Bill the owner said he's going to get a few and rent them out to newbie racers.

Mini's bone stock out of the box would be a great parking lot racing vehicle. They aren't expensive compared to an on road sedan, they don't break as easily, they don't go as fast either so they are much easier for a new racer to be able to steer around a track.
Yeah, i have seen some of the min cooper races at IRP,and it looks like so much fun, but the only problem I see is that tamiya parts are a little harder to come in my experince. But I'm sure there are ways around that.
Weds. night 1/18 racing at leisure hours. on and off road
Hahaha mini coopers roll too easily, but they're fun to watch bounce around lol...
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
Truth is if Al's runs any type of parking lot racing people will come....

Whether it's new guys or experienced they will come out. One problem with small operations is keeping certain things under control like radio's. At the Hobby Towns and other "parking lot" tracks it seems this is not always controlled. You have people turning radios on everywhere with no control so alot of out of control cars are out there.

Not sure if any of you raced at Hobby Town Oak Park when it was open but that was a laid back no pressure place to race. It's too bad it closed because it was a blast and close to the city.

If AL's opens a track with a timing system and a flat surface I'd be open to going there just because it's so close.
Anthony_ISLA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slash spec class?? Jetboat 46 10,830 07-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Last Post: mfanke19
  mt class AddictedtoNITRO 22 3,825 03-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Last Post: AddictedtoNITRO
  Debate: Is MT class dying, or is it just waiting for winter/indoors? DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 77 8,057 11-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Ponch
  Debate: Best start-up car/truck for first timers. Casketman 50 5,679 11-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Last Post: FreeRideFrosty
  Gentlemen, start your engines!!! DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 5 1,469 08-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Tex
  Jammin wins every class at the US Gas Championships DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 1 1,242 05-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Michowski
  Novarossi 528 - Needles - Where to start form BlackWolf42 3 2,075 04-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Last Post: rocco79
  truck wont start kevinF 12 1,499 03-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Last Post: kevinF
  where to start? kmosley 1 816 02-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Last Post: DAVEC-NITRO-RS4
  What kind of electric on-roads do we have on here? Mr. Tune 40 8,030 12-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Last Post: ricrush