Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel and Gearing for O.S. .18 CV-RX
What type of fuel would you recommend with that engine. I am not sure what types of fuel my LHS carries because I only ran top fuel before and just grabbed that stuff without looking at anything else.

Also what gearing would you recommend. Right now I am running sport trax tires with rpm rims. I am going to get velocity wheels in the future, but still run the sport trax tires. The truck weighs in the high 7's low 8's.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
I run Trinity Platinum 30%, it has 8% oil soooo watch your tune.

My maxx is around 9lbs, running a 22t clutchbell (stock is 20) and I get wheelies with the stock tmaxx tires rolling from like 10mph.

I'd have some $$$ set side for CVDs if they are needed, and you dont have them already. I run all outer CVDs, but stock sliders in the center, and noticed they were twisting after about half a gallon.
SOLD: BCE Pro X1-CRT Truggy, Dace Predator/Unlimited Engineering towered VBS Supermaxx
Current: Nitro Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4, Nitro Traxxas Slash
I don't think I want to run a fuel with that high of a nitro content. I am not the best at tuning so I want a little more oil. I was running TopFuel 20%.

Are you running the stock spur? I think it is 70.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
UE-Maxx Wrote:Are you running the stock spur? I think it is 70.

stock is 72, which I run...

Top Fuel has too much oil, which is auctually worse than running a fuel with 8-12% oil.
SOLD: BCE Pro X1-CRT Truggy, Dace Predator/Unlimited Engineering towered VBS Supermaxx
Current: Nitro Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4, Nitro Traxxas Slash
Ok, I will probably pick up a 22tCB sometime.

I will see what my LHS has whenever I go next.

For now it is the eletric bandit. LOL
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
Also, what is a good plug to run? I am getting my tower order together.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
mccoy 59
[Image: mich1iy1.jpg]
Thanks. Once I get the items from tower and a tonys screws kit I should be up and running again.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
mc59 is too long for a CVRX. That motor uses the shorter OS plugs. I would go with a (hot) OS A3 plug.

And don't be scared of 30% fuel, there is no reason to not run it. It is no harder to tune (actually it's easier to tune imo). Fuel with alot of oil seems harder to tune to me.

If you want to keep the oil content up, go with O'Donnels 30%
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
As what Gabe said. I was so hestitated (sp?) to use 30% fuel because I'm suck at tuning .. lol

I made the move 3 months ago and never look back. It took me a little time to find the appropriate plug, all I can say is "Hell .. it worth the time!"
30% over 20% is a night and day difference. Your engine runs so much better, faster, and magically becomes more reliable to. I would never think about buying 20% again. And its so much easier to tune with 30% instead of 20%
Time to try some 30%. Mich, did anybody try the 30%white lightning at the bash?
Here are some articles that are a pretty good read and were helpful to me in understanding Fuel and glow plug configurations. Gabe saw my BOOK of "All things RC related" at the bash.

Nitro Fuel Article

Glow Plugs Article

I have tons of info. More than anybody should ever really require. But thats because I am an Info hound.
its maxy's not white lightning and no. I was waiting for some people to come over but o well. More fuel for me then.
Michowski Wrote:its maxy's not white lightning and no. I was waiting for some people to come over but o well. More fuel for me then.
My fault "maxy's"

I would have hit you up for a tank but I couldn't even burn a tank of my stuff. :mad: No more pull starts for me.
Michowski Wrote:its maxy's not white lightning and no. I was waiting for some people to come over but o well. More fuel for me then.

We did talk about it and you did graciously (again) offer to let me try some. I'm just gonna try some OD's 30% and see how I like that fuel. The way we drive, we need to be going slower, not faster, especially my son, Ryan.

There's just something about drivers named Ryan that causes Full Throttle Syndrome.
DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 Wrote:We did talk about it and you did graciously (again) offer to let me try some. I'm just gonna try some OD's 30% and see how I like that fuel. The way we drive, we need to be going slower, not faster, especially my son, Ryan.

There's just something about drivers named Ryan that causes Full Throttle Syndrome.

My son does it too, as soon as I hand him the controller the throttle is pinned.
PoPRC Wrote:My son does it too, as soon as I hand him the controller the throttle is pinned.

Then we shall call him "Ryan" as well.
Don't blame the boy, maybe they accidentally put an on/off switch in his radio instead of a potentiometer. Idea
How much less life do you get out of an engine while running the 30%. Thats my major concern.

I will post again on what fuel my LHS's carry when I take a ride and which plug to use.
FS-Sportwerks 1/8 Hauler
I don't believe in the less life out of an engine because of using %30 vs. %20 fuel.

One is more likely to decrease engine life through improper filter maintenance, overheating (which causes the lubricating oil to break down and not work), and not using afterrun oil to prevent water buildup in the motor.
Bruce, are you saying that after run oil causes water buildup in the motor?
satoch Wrote:One is more likely to decrease engine life through.......... and not using afterrun oil to prevent water buildup in the motor.

No, he's saying that it prevents it.
Tekno EB48.4 HobbyWing XR8 Sanwa M12
30% doesn't lessen the life of a motor, thats a myth
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
yup, in theory it should lessen engine life but a good tuner will prevent a shortened life from happening. You might get like 1-2 tanks of a less life but thats nothing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what fuel? PMHOURS 6 1,720 12-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Last Post: cheesecake
  tq fuel cheesecake 24 3,631 12-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Last Post: J-Dub
  Werks Fuel slaytanic 8 2,022 07-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Last Post: hansarvin
  what gearing do i run naecrf450 3 981 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Ponch
  Werks fuel run. Czech-it-Out Graphics 26 4,345 03-07-2007, 10:17 PM