ChitownRC
how to cut out body's - Printable Version

+- ChitownRC (https://www.chitownrc.com)
+-- Forum: Tech Forums (https://www.chitownrc.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Paint / Body (https://www.chitownrc.com/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: how to cut out body's (/thread-6655.html)

how to cut out body's - cheesecake - 04-12-2007

how do you guys cut out bodys are there any tips or tricks to doing it. i started to cut mine and im afraid im going to destroy it

how to cut out body's - slim - 04-12-2007

i use a x-acto knife. scratch it real hard and break/rip it...

other wise a small bit on a dremel.

how to cut out body's - DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 - 04-12-2007

score it with xacto and peel it outward, away from the painted side.

how to cut out body's - Czech-it-Out Graphics - 04-12-2007

a dremel with an endmill to cut the bulk off and then a sanding drum to smooth it all out

how to cut out body's - MX_KEVIN - 04-12-2007

Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:a dremel with an endmill to cut the bulk off and then a sanding drum to smooth it all out
And make a big mess. I like the x-acto method then smooth with a drum

how to cut out body's - Czech-it-Out Graphics - 04-12-2007

with the exacto i always end up tearing the body or somethning, do it in the garage and clean up when ur done geez Wink lol

how much would someone charge me to do it i dont want to mess it up

how to cut out body's - UE-Maxx - 04-12-2007

I use lexan scissors to get close to the final cut out I want then I use a sanding drum with a dremel.

well the body is kind of thin so should i try the xacto method.

how to cut out body's - mikeh - 04-12-2007

I have used the xacto method for years. I can cut out a body with one pass these days. i use a fat handled xacto with a brand new fat blade. This reduces the chance of slipping your grip or chipping the blade. Just follow the lines scoring them as you go and peel.
For vent holes I use a razor bladed hole cutter.

how to cut out body's - squirrel - 04-13-2007

Czech-it-Out Graphics Wrote:a dremel with an endmill to cut the bulk off and then a sanding drum to smooth it all out
+1

how to cut out body's - cheesecake - 04-13-2007

whats an endmill i bought a dremel acc kit.

how to cut out body's - Biodragen - 04-13-2007

I have done it both ways.

I normally cut the bulk with scissors and then clean it up with the dremel and sanding drum

how to cut out body's - DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 - 04-13-2007

cheesecake Wrote:how much would someone charge me to do it i dont want to mess it up

Bring it to Downers Grove or Naperville and I'll help ya for nothing....

how to cut out body's - slim - 04-13-2007

a end mill is a bit designed for cutting sideways, looks like a drill bit but has a diff cut on it, a drill bit wont go sideways.

how to cut out body's - Tex - 04-13-2007

I use the Dubro Lexan scissor and reamer kit, $12.95 total.
Lexan scissors on everything except antenna and body mount holes, use the reamer for those.
I also use the reamer to start cooling holes for the windshield and motor then finish off with scissors.

I have to say, it takes a bit of practice to get precise with the scissors and I ruined a couple bodies learning.

Also, super thick bodies are better suited for dremel work, not scissors.

mikeh Wrote:I have used the xacto method for years. I can cut out a body with one pass these days. i use a fat handled xacto with a brand new fat blade. This reduces the chance of slipping your grip or chipping the blade. Just follow the lines scoring them as you go and peel.
For vent holes I use a razor bladed hole cutter.

Mike, on the "chipped blade" subject...I use an old #11 blade, and snap off the end about 1/8 inch, this gives you a new, wider, very sharp corner that digs a little deeper for the score line. Works good, and gives an otherwise dead blade a second use at the end of the job. It's kinda like the snap-knives you buy at Ace..same idea.

how to cut out body's - slim - 04-13-2007

good tip dave, i do that, pliers and close your eyes! they snap easy.

Some painters actually do that for cutting masks too. I tried it and it was ok...it changes the angle of the edge to the mask...it was worth a try.

how to cut out body's - maxximum_44 - 04-13-2007

I just score it, bend, and peel... with a brand new #11. I got really good at it 'bout ten years ago when I use to charge five bucks a pop at a hobby shop I use to work in.