ChitownRC
Almost finished McLaren F1 micro racer - Printable Version

+- ChitownRC (https://www.chitownrc.com)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (https://www.chitownrc.com/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Racers Forum (https://www.chitownrc.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Almost finished McLaren F1 micro racer (/thread-5941.html)

Almost finished McLaren F1 micro racer - CowboySiR - 02-10-2007

Hi!

Since most of you get that i'm a micro/mini freak, i thought I'd come by and show you my latest "almost finished" micro racer.

[Image: McLarenF1003.jpg]

[Image: McLarenF1001.jpg]

This little baby is a real handful to drive...as a 2wd indoor carpet/RCP racer it can haul some serious a**. Running on 4.8 volts it probably does 20mph but in most cases top speed isn't what this baby is all about. I find when racing micros perserverence is the key to finishing well and for the most part this car always finishes(basically because it's impossible to break!)

The progress body shell is a McLaren F1 that I'm going to repaint/mimic the Gulf McLaren racer from 97 GT series...except in black highlights with some gold pinstriping.

Thanks for looking.Big Grin

Almost finished McLaren F1 micro racer - mikeh - 02-10-2007

Wow. That is incredible. All that work done by you?

Almost finished McLaren F1 micro racer - north_shore_racer - 02-10-2007

appears to be a mini-z, then he probably did a lot of work past that. looks good!

Almost finished McLaren F1 micro racer - Czech-it-Out Graphics - 02-10-2007

wow another cool mini, Id love to see you trick out something on a larger scale lol

Almost finished McLaren F1 micro racer - CowboySiR - 02-11-2007

I've actually learned a lot of things from Mini/micros that I'd like to translate to larger scales:

1.130 size motors are really difficult to hand wind so i figure doing larger scale would be easy once i organize parts.

2. ESC modifications require some major research but with a little work you can change voltage input levels and amperage restraints on most ESC's on the market....you just have to be willing to fail and blow up expensive electronics.:p:

Otherwise there are some things I've done for friends that I haven't got photos of...pretty basic stuff that most RC nuts can do though. My favorite to date was a dual 970 can conversion on an EMaxx from a couple of cordless drills I bought for cheap from a pawn shop. That thing could tear up asphalt it had so much torque.:eek:

BTw, that is a Mini-Z that with some minor fet upgrades can handle a good deal of amperage from cells to motors, and I'm working on a 130 size double 26 turn that'll tear up an RCP track on a 9 tooth pinion.

Thanks for the kind words.

Almost finished McLaren F1 micro racer - AddictedtoNITRO - 02-11-2007

CowboySiR Wrote:My favorite to date was a dual 970 can conversion on an EMaxx from a couple of cordless drills I bought for cheap from a pawn shop. That thing could tear up asphalt it had so much torque.:eek:

dude how did you do that? any info or pics? That would be a sweet project for the e-maxx sittin here

Almost finished McLaren F1 micro racer - CowboySiR - 02-11-2007

I'll see if I can get Greg to forward me some pics...we made a custom motor mount and with a bit of repositioning of the electronics it came out fairly neat. Not the prettiest conversion but it works like a hot damn...Big Grin

Almost finished McLaren F1 micro racer - motoxer4life - 02-11-2007

dang.... thats cool.