Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spare parts??
Hey all,
I will be aquiring a HPI Hellfire here pretty quick and I plan on going racing soon. Anyways, my question is, what sort of spare parts should I pick up? I've never raced before so I would like to know what I would need. I've got the basics (glow igniter, glow plug wrench, afterrun oil, etc.). Any help is appriciated guys!

Thanks for looking!
Matt
I don't think a lot of people here have the hellfire. You might want to check out like the hpi forum and see what parts people are breaking. My guess would be arms and spurs. Just my .02
LOVE AMERICA OR GET THE HELL OUT!
www.Suburbanchicagorockcrawlers.com
www.Keyknivesonline.com
www.rcslot.com
rc crawling headquarters and great customer support!
I don't own an HPI Hellfire, but I have owned several Hot Bodies Lightning family vehicles. If the HPI is built like the Hot Bodies ( same family ) then you shouldn't suffer too many issues from "normal useage". You say you're new so there may be a fair number of "newbie" incidents. Maybe pick up a set of front arms like AddictedtoNITRO mentioned. Maybe a set of front hinge pins. Chances are if you hit something...it's going to be in the front ( like clipping a pipe on the track on accident ) and chances are if you hit it hard enough to break a front arm...you might also need a new hinge pin or two :eek: but they're fairly cheap. Also, maybe a couple extra glow plugs...because when they go out, they have no "fading" out...they're just done. It's easier to just throw a new plug in when the engine starts running eratically. Like AddictedtoNITRO said, check out the HPI forums too. See if the individual tracks you're planning to race at host a web site and/or message boards. The people there will be able to tell you what tires work, give you leads on suspension settings, diff oils, etc.

Oh, and have a hundred $$ bucks or so ready to go at a moments notice so that when and if you break something small or big...you can order it the next day instead of being out of luck for a couple weeks.

What kind of radio do you use? Stock AM 27mhz? I would say the single biggest initial two "upgrades" any racer can make is a Spektrum radio, and a personal transponder ( if the track(s) they race at have AMBrc that is compatible ). Between these two items, you take alot of hassle and worrying out of the equation...you'll have enough to concentrate on at the track. You'll never have to worry about who is on what radio channel, and you'll never have to worry about forgetting to track down that house transponder with less than a minute before your race starts!

By the way, where are you located? What track is closest to you?

It's fun. Good Luck!
Matt Fanke
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in Winthrop Harbor right now, but I'll be moving to Streator in a little while so I plan on racing at Leisure Hours. Its about an hour north so its not too bad of a drive.

Matt
I've seen people break a-arms on those at Leisure Hours. They are pretty tough trucks though, they take a beating.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Yeah, I figured I'd need some extra A Arms. If you guys have any more info or advice for a newb, I sure would appreciate it! I may stop out this Sunday and check out the racing.

Matt
there will be some good racing this sunday, you should come on out.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Depending on if I have anything going on, I may check it out. Racing is at 2 right? Practice starts at 10?

Matt
racing starts at 10
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
Ok, cool. I'll more than likely be there.

Matt
thought the track was lcosed due to the big kahunna electric race, or is that jsut a one day race??
Losi 8ight with v-spec[SIZE="4"]
[/SIZE]
one day race, nitro racing Sunday
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Front A-arms always break, no matter the truck at least with my driving.

I'd get a bunch of practice in, I tried racing earlier this winter, came dead last, in the stock buggy class, I was slower then the people in the sportsman by more then 2 seconds.Smile Just make sure to set yourself in the right class. I'm good at rock crawling not racing.Big Grin

Don't forget zip ties, if something breaks tie it.

Obviously, get the right tires and ask around for propper suspension setups they might be some posted online somewhere.

You have that track by you to, just no big nitro trucks
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=127716
Hey Mnstr, yeah, I checked out that track here, too bad its all onroad. Rolleyes

Matt
racing is racing, it's all fun. Smile
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Just some are more fun then others.Big Grin
exactly lol

For now I guess just get extra little things. Glow plugs, fuel, back up servo.
tires.....

good call Mike, if your racing then tires are the first thing to buy.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
Any suggestions? Are the HPI Nubz any good?

Matt
Indoor most are running Panther Boa Clays and outdoor I have heard a lot are running narrow bow ties.
nubz will work indoor and outdoor as an "all around" tire. If you want to get the BEST indoor tires then the Panther Boa "clay compound" or the Panther switch clays are the best bet.
Mugen MBX5T
RBS5
RB2045
Futaba 3PM
Hitec 5955, 5965
i have ran nubz and ran them indoor at lh, not very good, i think they will work real well outdoor tho. new panther switch 2.0 OFF THE HOOK!

GS RACING, TQ FUEL, FASTLANE GRAPHIX, CZECH-IT-OUT
Thanks for the tire info guys! Now, next issue. I got my new Axial .28 engine today and I thought I had the right flywheel nut, but apparently I don't. The engine that was on it was a Super Tiger (put in by previous owner) and it uses a completely different type of flywheel nut (like a regular flywheel nut, but has a long shaft on the end of it) Any suggestions? I'm using the stock Hellfire flywheel and clutch. Really need some help with this!

Thanks!
Matt

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kyosho need parts help Bfly 1 1,706 01-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Last Post: slaytanic
  Parts for a Smartech Tornado shogun121 0 1,208 04-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Last Post: shogun121
  rs4 parts rusty savage 6 1,652 01-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Last Post: mikeh
  Hyper 7 parts.... moliver 7 1,674 12-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Last Post: moliver
  Ordering parts. SLOW REVO 4 1,147 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Last Post: FreeRideFrosty
  Boredome+rc18+spare rims+extra cds+hotglue = AWESOME t to the maxx2 60 5,755 08-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Traxxas_Junkee
  Need Parts? SEEKandDESTROY2 0 785 07-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Last Post: SEEKandDESTROY2
  nova parts rusty savage 8 1,450 04-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Last Post: rusty savage
  revo parts dirtguy90 9 1,645 03-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Last Post: olds97_lss
  Spare radio? Blown5.0 1 1,084 02-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Last Post: DAVEC-NITRO-RS4