Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debate: Best start-up car/truck for first timers.
Might as well make a thread so we dont end up hijacking a different thread.

So what is a good starting car/truck for someone who is totally knew to the hobby?
Personally,I say MT and here is why:

Easier to work on(these are new racers/bashers we are talking about)

Can be cheaper then a truggy or buggy.

How well they hold up is not really an issue unless you want to look at who makes the car. But all 4 classes(including 1/10th) can hold their own when used for what they were built for(I.E. Nothing will hold up well when being jumped off a roof!)

And if that person does race. The class will be smaller then with truggy/buggy. Granted,the class is on life support right now at the track here. But there are times when there is a class. So it is not totally dead yet!

Now I also understand the person that is going to buy the car/truck will need to buy one for what they can wrench on basicly. Some people can jump right in and understand or work on a truggy/buggy. While others need to start out in MT or something else because they dont know how to use a screwdriver!

So lets hear it!
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
Revo or TTR RTR Truggy.
Yeah, I say MT with a Revo. Especially if they don't like racing, they can have something to mess around the house with.
8ight | Mini-T | CEN Boat | Stampede | JR R-1

ALL RC STUFF FOR SALE. PM FOR DETAILS.
i say MT the are good for racing/bashing. the racing aspect it will be better to start in a class where they wont be lapped a billion times. they are easier to work on IMO. and most dont break that often. and the same goes for bashing easy to work on and dont break to often. most people just want it to go fast and jump high, and IMO MT's are gppd for it.
The worst dirtbiker is always one step ahead of even the best quad rider....

Tex Wrote:WTF, racing ranger 2?????? and racing ranger 1???? #2 needs his ass kicked for taking someone elses name.
Well tossing in names will turn this debate into a fight because your going to have those people who will stand by that company that they love.

But if names are going to get tossed around. I too would have to say the Revo. I dont rule out the savage either.

As far as truggy/buggy class. Yea there are RTR's out there. But that still doesnt mean they will be easy for newbies to wrench on and race.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
FreeRideFrosty Wrote:TTR RTR Truggy.

why do you allways have to single out the TTR????? you dont even own an r/c anymore. did you ever even own TTR??? theyre a great line of truggys, and buggys for being older than others.

I say MT is the best way to get in.
Losi 8ight with v-spec[SIZE="4"]
[/SIZE]
Hahaha! I never single out TTR. (That's Czech.) From what I have seen and heard, out of all of the RTR truggies, the TTR looks to be the best setup. What would be your pick for a RTR truggy??
Start with a truggy. They are just as much fun/durable/versitale as a standard MT but you can run it at the track and have a class with more than 4 people in it (Cough*LSP*Cough)
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune
Dan ttr is a turd
FreeRideFrosty Wrote:Hahaha! I never single out TTR. (That's Czech.) From what I have seen and heard, out of all of the RTR truggies, the TTR looks to be the best setup. What would be your pick for a RTR truggy??

ohhh, thought you meant it in a bad way
Losi 8ight with v-spec[SIZE="4"]
[/SIZE]
traxxas thrasher Wrote:ohhh, thought you meant it in a bad way

Haha... Nope. And Rocco I kind of forgot about the LSP again. For a beginner I think that would be the best bet right now. You can get them darn close to RTR in great shape for the price of a new Revo. (If not cheaper.)
way cheaper hopped way up wit tons of spares
how is the TTR truggy a turd? I raced the piss out of it for a year and never broke anything. You can race it out of the box stock, throw on a wing and your good to go, thats what i did for RD1 and the panther race. I never used the stock motor but heard it has plenty of power, prolly a good indoor motor. Its one of the better truggies out there.

I think a 1/10th scale is the best for someone to start off with, small cheap not as much motor and hard to drive. running a 1/10th scale will make you learn how to drive, you will learn how to go into and come out of a corner well because every little adjustment is a huge adjustment in what the car is actually doing. I would say that MT is the worst class to start out in, if you are actually serious about racing it will mess you up. They do not drive similar to anything else you can race, the setup really means nothing on them unless you have a revo as modded as bobbos. And it is very easy to get caught up in buying useless hop ups and all that other crap for those. It seems that too many guys try to jump into the truggy class and can get pretty fast there but then when they try to drive a buggy they are phucked cuz they are used to being able to drive with the throttle the whole time. this isnt everyone but i see it at the track all the time.
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
Just repeating what a certain product rep told me what saxton and mayfield said about it... I guess there opinions are stupid
why must every thread that asks "whats a good buggy/truggy etc" turn into TTR is a piece of chit thread? rocco have you ever driven a TTR ever? How bout this, you bash my stuff but have you ever beat me once? If its such a turd i should never be able to make the main at leisure hours or anyone else. Its really gay that everybody rips on the product yet they really cant justify any of the stuff they say. Go ahead guys keep spending 800$ on kyoshos mugens and jammins no problem have fun with it. I know most of the time its ball busting but damn its gets old in a hurry, plus nobody will ever be able to sell a TTR on here ever cuz everything said about it is that it sucks, and if i say its good Im just saying it cuz they sponsor me....

so blow me big guy Smile

Maybe your just a super gifted driver and your amazing natural talent makes up for the incredibly turdyness of your ridesConfusedlap:
must be it then....

When first starting in to nitro rc. People get frustrated easy.So
I would say revo, Inexpensive & Easy start. Great all around truck.
[url][/url]

IN GOD WE TRUST, ALL OTHERS MUST PAY.
A vehicle that is easily used will be the most used. A simple vehicle will hold up and be easier to maintain/keep clean.

A MT is an excellent choice.

A truggy is good too, but will have a touch more complexity for the beginner, so I'd avoid it.

On road TC like the RS4 is also a ton of fun, and because they are low C of G, they are harder to flip and smash up (unless you run in the street and hits curbs).

A brushless electric truck like the Losi xxx would be good also.
I think the person looking to buy, really needs to figure out what they want to do with the vehicle.

Iknow when I started I grabbed a savage, and bashed the crap out of it, but then that got boring and I started to race. So sold the savage and got a buggy then got a truggy and so on and so on.

You say the MT is the cheapest, but not if they want to race. Because they will buy the truck, then spend a lot to get it to race worthiness. Then after trying for a while figure out they can not compete. SO they sell it for big loss, then buy a buggy or truggy. So in actuality you end up spending more.

So the big factor should be "where you going to run it" This is why I will second Roccos truggy suggestion, because you can bash it and then still race it.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL friend will help you move a body.
MT is the cheapest out of the box. Yes,people are going to drop money on their truck no matter what. Broken or not,they will go out and from $100,even $500 at a time on upgrade parts. Either it be a motor,pipe,or just items that will make it look good.

So as we all know that this hobby is cheap to get into. But once the bug has taken hold on our little minds,the wallet opens,and our hard earned money goes flyin. For some,they can fight and resist. Either they are strong enough to do that,or a GF/Wife is behind them with the fry pan. Then there are others(like myself) that are weak,we see an upgrade item and before we know it. The deal is done.

So saying one class is cheaper then another can and should only apply to the kit itself. Because everything after that is based on how strong the owner is when it comes to buying parts(besides replacement).

As for MT,depending on the truck. Every truck is race worthy. But a little or alot of money can be spent to get it 1st place worthy. That depends on the truck and what the owner thinks he needs. The Revo for one is a truck that you can take out of the box. Either the 2.5r or 3.3 are stong enough to win. So one just needs to slap on a servo,rims/tires and have that chance to win(if you have the skill and/or luck). That is why to me,the Revo is the best truck to start racing with.
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
I vote for a truggy too...
Those of you saying Revo's are best for beginners and easy to work on are crazy...
Truggies are far more "simple" and easier to work on IMO...everything is open, easy to get at, easy to set up/adjust and so on.
They are also just as tuff and easy to drive/ race if thats what you'll end up doing.

I brought one of my neighbors who has a Revo to the track one day "newbe" and he stripped a spur....it took us forever to figure it out...we ended up pulling the engine to change it?? Rolleyes
Kyosho ST-R
O.S. EB Mod V-spec
O.S. T-2050 pipe
Airtronics 94359z servos

Kyosho SP2
O.S. V-spec
Mugen MSR-1005 pipe
Futaba 9350 & 9451 servos

Kyosho Inferno GT
SH .28
The spur and slipper are made to take the damage to save the trans on the revo. That is why so many people lose their spur gears. As to changing them out. Pulling the motor is not really needed,but it does make it easier. But with the way the motor can tilt,one only needs to loosen the screw and move the motor down and there is the space needed.

What does it take to change the spur in a buggy/truggy? Smile
Myspace.com/Mtdrew24
Makes sense as well.... It's nice having a center diff instead of a trans to work on. Not to mention if the trans is stock it has all of the reverse parts. IMO the Revo wasn't difficult to work on at all though as long as you took the time to read up about it for a little bit. That is the downside in general with RTR's though.... people get them, run them, and never really learn them.
Casketman Wrote:The spur and slipper are made to take the damage to save the trans on the revo. That is why so many people lose their spur gears. As to changing them out. Pulling the motor is not really needed,but it does make it easier. But with the way the motor can tilt,one only needs to loosen the screw and move the motor down and there is the space needed.

What does it take to change the spur in a buggy/truggy? Smile

You should never strip the spur on a buggy/truggy as they are steel.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rc Monster truck racing April 2nd Jetboat 4 4,643 03-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Jetboat
  Race for Free with Your Truck - Chicago chicagokenji 5 2,936 02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Last Post: chicagokenji
  getting a truck to race karlracing 62 8,977 12-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Czech-it-Out Graphics
  Truck Nats Czech-it-Out Graphics 20 3,737 08-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Last Post: allan42r
  What was your first R/C car/truck? bigdangerous 39 7,432 05-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Last Post: mikeh
  im new here!! my truck! SaVaGe_DuDe 36 4,687 04-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Traxxas_Junkee
  Thundertech's new truck Jeepguy 2 1,145 01-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Last Post: firesprink281
  1/10 truck tire venting rcrunr1 14 3,195 01-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Last Post: rcrunr1
  Truck or buggy? JES TCB 3 1,129 11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Last Post: chris arnold
  Debate: Is MT class dying, or is it just waiting for winter/indoors? DAVEC-NITRO-RS4 77 8,027 11-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Ponch