Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me pick an 1/8 scale!
As some of you may know, I'm stepping up to 1/8 scale buggy racing starting this fall. Since I'm getting close to my turn in line for some paint jobs I need to get one picked out so I can get the appropriate body to czech.

Help me out here fella's. I know no car is perfect, so lets start listing all the pluses and minuses of what out there so I can make a choice.

I'm open to suggestions.
Jeez... Id say get a Jammin but i know Rich will Jump my Sh1t quicker than him jumpin on a plate of progies!!!! LOL!!!

In all seriousness... I really like mine and am very happy with its driveability and durability!
Dont mess wit my sig Line tune!
--Then follow the rules! haha!-- -Tune
lol, I've seen the way you drive! What kind of parts breakage have you seen if any?
Well... If you can look past the incident in St. Louis :o:

I havent broken a thing...
Tune,

Honestly once you step up to the higher end buggies there are very few differences. They all have good durability and tunability. There are just slight differences between the top buggies.

In my experience, I have had 3 high end buggies. I kyosho 777 sp1, sp2 and the Jammin FTE.

I never liked the 777 sp1 I could never push it. Sp2 was better, but I could never be smooth with it, I think you need to be a smooth driver for the Kyosho. It also really reacts to small set up changes.

This spring I sold the sp2 and bought the Jammin FTE. The FTE is the only version worth getting. The buggy I could set up very easily and drive it much harder and felt more in control. The Jammin has great product support, and there drivers like Chad Bradley is readily available on the grid for help. Also they have a website with a bunch of their team drivers set ups .

Just my 2 cents
A friend will help you move, but a REAL friend will help you move a body.
Get what you want. Any more vehicles are so close in quality only the best of the best will know the difference. Pick a vehicle that you have freinds that will share insights into.

Make friends with Brian Kadow and Derek/Troy Weatherholt and get a Sportwerks Turmoil. Those guys beat Sonny O regularly. Or get a Kyosho and see if Sonny O will share his secrets with you. It really doesn't matter. Kyosho, Sportwerks, Losi, blah, blah blah blah... It's all about knowing how to set up a vehicle and knowing how to drive. Oh, and do yourself a favor, get a wimpy ass motor to start. too many guys get big motors that they can't control and they are just hazards on the track. But I know that you know that and everything else I've just stated....
those guys beat sonny regularly huh bruce....

Tune, of the buggies out there, I would have to say either go jammin xray or TTR. Kyosho is way to pricey, turmoils are garbage. The Jammins are pretty much a k3 with more steering. all of the 3 are very durable, on my TTR in a whole year I have only broken one a arm off the huge tripple indoor, and stripped a pinion gear because i shimmed it wrong. I have seen alot of Jammins break, I know all of Team Dent Tek runs them and loves them, but i have seen Pucci break his in the A a few times already, not sure about matt. The Xray is a little more, but it is super tricked out with cool parts, spring steel this aluminum that its loaded. The TTR probably has the best tunability and i would say is the easiest to drive, having tried just about every one out there.
Here is a link to my website-
http://www.czech-it-out-graphics.com
1/29/07 never forget....TTT Confusedalute:
Bringing old know-it-all blow hards back to reallity at a forum near you

"Always Imitated, Never Duplicated"
i to have a xray for sale...see for sale add.
Losi 8ight looks pretty slick, heard good things but you know as much as anyone about buying a brand new model. I have researched some 1/8 before I went back to MT and the Xray had my vote. Fit and finish is great and the quality seems top notch.

Take all that with a grain of salt cause I haven't owned any of 'em...lol
The fleet:
LST2(His): LRP Z.28R Spec.3, Full Carbon Fiber and all the goodies - $Too much
T-Maxx(Hers): Modded TRX2.5, Full RPM, Some REVO goodies $Borderline
XXX-NT AD2(His): Modded LRP.18S Pro, Graphite and Aluminium $Great deal
Losi Mini-LST(His): Insane Motors, converting to aluminium $Why not
X-Ray M18MT(Hers): Tekin 5.4Kv BL, 3Racing all around, Custom 8.4V $Dont ask

Watching her T-Maxx still running after I broke all of mine....$Priceless
Well, xray is out of the picture now. Seeing as you 2 guys are going away from it. I agree, the k-car is a tad expensive. That leaves 2 choices. The ttr and ofna.

Are those buggies race ready, or do I also need to buy extra stuff for common mods and hopups to fix weakspots?
Mugen.

Mugen is currently working on the week spots. They already released new front arms and they are working on new shocks and I think shock towers.

EDIT: Different knuckles too for more steering.
Tune to be honest, For the TTR the only thing u really need is a front shocker tower and the flat chassis kit. I did the "steering mod" to it but u dont have to. The aftermarket partrs for the TTR are really inexpensive and look sweet. If you want i could send u some pics of Johnnys TTR that he has for sale.

If you look at the Jammin's. Make sure it is the factory team kit. It includes the big bore shocks, best shocks out right now. Also 5mm thick shock towers and lightened chassis. The only necesary for the FTE right off the bat is a King headz or Jammin aluminum steering plate.
I think your talkin bout the same part guys..

Tune.... The only person in our click is mikey... And who knows for how long.

Jammin FTE buddy!
rocco79 Wrote:I think your talkin bout the same part guys..

Tune.... The only person in our click is mikey... And who knows for how long.

Jammin FTE buddy!

:confused: You thinking about ditching TTR mikey?
Yes Rich the top plate. that connects diff housing to servo saver posts.
I get beat regularly ? and does anybody know me to have speed secrets and not share ? WTF are U talking about.

Mr. Tune man, you know what 1/8 scale I'm going to tell you to get Wink Kyosho of course, the quality is exelent and I haven't had to switch a part because of wear since I got it in December. If you don't go with Kyosho, then settle for Jammin but the money you save will end up being used on parts that wear out prematurely. The best part of having a Kyosho is that if you are ever in a bind and don't have a spare part, all you have to do is come see me and I'll hook you up. Depending on the part I'll just ask that you replace it when ever you get a chance. Don't even ask about speed secrets thou because that I'll never give!!!!!
butt kisser!!!! LOL
How many time ya use that line nut carrier???
After a trip to amain, looks like the k-car is on sale. Only $640 compared to $530 for the jammin. That's not that much of a difference Smile.
Milf
its not? cool. enjoy the k-car bro. im sure you'll be happy.
What are you gonna run after xray rich? I hear you're changing...
ya but look at the pric3e of parts compared to the jammin, kyosho arms are like 22$ CB is 30$ etc..

Mr. Tune Wrote::confused: You thinking about ditching TTR mikey?

Bigger and better things may arise in the future, I will not be switching anytime soon, possibly by the indoor season, but it will prolly be to something that once again no one else is running at the moment....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large Scale RC's Power Jam Large Scale Racing June 14-17th 2012 Monon, Indiana LOST IN MN 2 5,473 06-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Last Post: LOST IN MN
  My latest scale build up Mnster 209 71,871 04-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Mr. Tune
  PowerJam 1/5 Scale Racing Event - Monon Indiana - Are you registered yet ?? looker2756 1 4,532 05-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Last Post: looker2756
  Introducing " The Scrap Yard " 1/5 scale track IN looker2756 7 9,326 10-24-2009, 06:41 PM
  1/16 Scale Kyosho Nitros GeraldRisch 14 4,099 03-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Last Post: GeraldRisch
  1/8th Scale Running Electric? chicagokenji 43 17,102 11-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Last Post: team3six
  1/5 scale Off-Road looker2756 44 8,663 11-15-2007, 10:43 PM
  Piktor Rush 2 8th scale buggy? Thirdgen89GTA 38 6,567 08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Last Post: allan42r
  Big scale practice? Thirdgen89GTA 16 3,595 08-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Last Post: cheesecake
  Scale 2.2 International Scout build Jeepguy 40 9,970 07-27-2007, 01:03 AM