Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog Bones / Swing Shafts
I bent the front two dog bones on my Savage and need to replace them. What should I use as replacements. I was looking at the HD dog bones and the Titanium dog bones. Do they make cvd's that replace the dog bones? I know they make them to replace the front and rear center shafts.
Yep they make cvd's for all four corners. I've only bent 2 dogbones bad enough that they needed to be replaced. Stuck in the HD one's and left it at that. I was too cheap to spend the money on cvd's. Haven't broke any since.

I found that the key to not bending dogbones is to make sure you are not on the gas or brake when the truck lands from a jump. The 2 that I broke were a long time ago, when I was still a noob to nitro trucks.
Thnx, I think I can just pickup the HD dog bones from my LHS. It wouldnt kill me to spend the money on the cvd's, but if I dont have to, then Im not going to. Smile
Ive broken two hd's. The head usally twists off. Stay away from cvd's If you have a upgraded motor. I havent heard of a brand that can hold up.
I went out and picked up 4 new HD dog bones. I pulled the 2 stockers off and will keep those as back-ups, just in case.
I'm sure the UE supersavage CVD's can hold up.

check them out on this page..

http://www.hobbyshopnj.com/Savage21/

more product info here from the MFG's site.

http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/cgi-...3503S.html
-- John --
1:1.. 01 Z28 Camaro A4 Sure.. its stock.
1:8's.. K3, Inferno GT, and a straight line beater car
1:18.. RC18t Mamba and 3s lipo
Uhhhh Yeah!!!!!!!!! Somthing tells me those bad F.M.'s Will do the job and ask for moe. I mean for god sakes there from unlimited engineering!!!I was more refering to the normal crap that gets pushed in your face at the local hobby store . Like the power racing ones or godforbid the hotbodies units!!! But the are alittle pricy for my taste. But you get what you pay for! I thinks ill look on ebay for those babies!
I would hope they could hold up, for $70.00 a pair, lol.
Yeah thats alittle high for a set, but you get what you pay for. Ill stick to the hd dog bones that you can get off ebay for like 10 bucks
I just put my HD's in last night and they have been working fine for me so far today. I unfortunately have no place to really put them to the test as I have no area to jump my truck. I was messing around in a construction site when I bent my stockers, but they have since leveled the lot and I have no more dirt mounds to jump off of.

Inconsiderate construction guys! Big Grin
let's say you spend $100 on (4) "average brand" CVDs. They last 6 months. Then you buy another full set because you still don't want to spend the money on UE stuff. They last another 6 months.
You would get 1 years worth of use for $200.

OR

Buy UE units for $180 and they will prolly last a few years, and it's a beefier set-up so they may last forever.
Tex Wrote:Buy UE units for $180 and they will prolly last a few years, and it's a beefier set-up so they may last forever.

Thats just a lot of cash to drop at one time. I understand what your saying, but its still a heafty pricetag.
but you end up paying MORE in the long run with cheaper units because they don't last as long.
I talked to guys on the UE board and they said its easy to get 10-15 even up to 20 gallons of fuel through a set of steel CVD's. That sold me on getting a set no matter what the cost as I was breaking the pins in my MIP's.
yeah my old 1st gen UE CVD's had 2 years of running on them with no failures. they did get a slittle slop in them over time but never let me down. that was all on various setup .21 (or larger) maxxes. Just install them correctly with the correct bearing spacers and keep them lubed with bicycle chain lube and they will last just about forever.
-- John --
1:1.. 01 Z28 Camaro A4 Sure.. its stock.
1:8's.. K3, Inferno GT, and a straight line beater car
1:18.. RC18t Mamba and 3s lipo
Anyone ever use the Hot Bodies CVD's? Not that I really need them, the HD dog bones are workin' fine, but if I can pick them up cheap, I may just do it.
I wouldn't do anything hot bodies until they start proving their parts are worth a crap.